Armenian Woman in the Ranking of the Most Successful Businesswomen by "Forbes"
An American woman of Armenian origin Carolyn Rafaelyan appeared in the rating of the most successful US businesswomen. She took the 26th place in the "Forbes" magazine.
49-year-old Carolyn owns "Alex and Ani" jewelery company.
The company was founded in 2004 by Carolyn Rafaelian. The name comes from a combination of the first names of Rafaelian's two daughters. The company originally stated that they wanted to produce "bangle bracelets, necklaces, earrings and rings that adorn the body, enlighten the mind, and empower the spirit". The company first manufactured its jewelry in a factory that was founded by Rafaelian's father in 1966 and all materials are made in America. The first retail Alex and Ani store opened in Newport in 2009, and in addition to the stand-alone stores, the jewelry was sold through national departments stores.
The company first came to national attention in 2004, when they produced a necklace featuring an apple for Gwyneth Paltrow following the birth of her daughter Apple, leading to a large number of orders of similar merchandise. The company has described its products as "eco-friendly"; much of the materials used in the firm's designs is either recycled or from vintage articles.
In 2010, Alex and Ani — named after two of Rafaelian’s daughters — did an estimated $4.5 million in revenues. By 2015, sales had hit $500 million.
Rafaelian joins the ranks at #22, with an estimated net worth of $700 million, making her the second newcomer, after Gail Miller, billionaire owner of basketball’s Utah Jazz.
She’s the richest self-made woman in the nation to derive her wealth from jewelry, and joins an impressive group of fashion and retail moguls on Forbes’ ranking that includes Spanx founder Sara Blakely, preppie-chic designer Tory Burch, and bridal tycoon Vera Wang.
Alex and Ani now has 65 freestanding stores as well as concessions in hundreds of department stores and boutiques.
- The Armenian Love of Aivazovsky She loved him very much and did not require more attention than he could give. She understood that she would never occupy a place in his heart equal to the painting. Aivazovsky in turn adored Anna and...
- "Michelangelo in the Ballet": Armenian Agrippina Vaganova, the Founder of the Theory of Russian Ballet Sometimes the criticism towards Vaganova was not very flattering. For example, Marius Petipa, the French and Russian ballet dancer, choreographer and teacher, wrote in his diary: "Mrs. Vaganova is terrible,...
- Incredible Armenians or Celebrities Who Do Not Talk About Their Armenian Roots Another "incredible" Armenian is the British princess Diana, although she is only 1/64 Armenian. It turns out that her great-great-grandmother was a rich native from the Indian town of Gujarat.
- Gymnastics Skills Named after Armenian Athletes It should be noted, that it is not the first time Armenian gymnasts surprise with the complexity of their tricks.
- William Saroyan: Part of His Heart in Armenia... Saroyan's heroes are simple and not so happy people, about whom he wrote with warmth, compassion and hope for good.
Saudi Women Will Aso be Allowed to Drive Trucks, Ride Motorcycles
Joint Consultation Chaired by Artsakh President and Armenian Prime Minister
Russia Chose the Name for the Bridge in the Crimea
Armenian Don Boyajian to Become US Congressman
Egypt Opens Gaza Border for Four Days
MFA Of Armenia: Ankara Is Not Ready To Normalize The Armenian-Turkish Relations
Rex Tillerson: North Korea Must Earn Right to Talks
China and UK to Strengthen Economic and Financial Cooperation
Weather Forecast in Armenia : Precipitation is Predicted
Trump Said The Worst People Come To U.S. By Visa Lottery
Trump Says He Would like to Have Russia’s Help with North Korea
Former Policeman Arrested within Case of Russian Ambassador’s Assassination in Turkey
Manchester United is Planning to Sell Mkhitaryan to make space for Mesut Ozil
Syria Accuses Saudi Arabia and the UN for the Failure of Negotiations
EU Leaders Fail on Migration
Donald Trump Thanks Vladimir Putin after his Press-Conference
French School Bus Cut in Two in Rail Crash
Serzh Sargsyan on Karabakh Conflict: It Is Not Possible to Negotiate with One Hand and to Fire with Another
The Next Phase of Brexit Negotiations to Start Soon
UN Warns against 'Sleepwalking' into War over North Korea
Armenian Patriarch and 12 other Heads of Churches in Jerusalem Wrote a Letter to President Trump
Russians Should Be Driven out Like Dogs, Armenians Must Be Massacred: Azerbaijani "Scientist''
Tigran Mansurian’s "Requiem" Nominated for Grammy Award
Putin Pushed Erdogan’s Chair to the Ground (VIDEO)
It Is Natural to Be in Artsakh and Struggle along with the People of Artsakh: Today Hero Monte Melkonyan Turns 60
Armenia Pays Tribute to the Memory of the Victims of 1988 Spitak Earthquake
TV Channel Discovery Has Shot 6 Videos about Armenia
Statement by the "European Integration" NGO on Signing the Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement with the EU
NKR Defense Army Servicemen Gegham Zaqaryan, Sargis Abrahamyan, Sargis Meliqyan, Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Lebanese-Armenian Independent Researcher: The Crisis in Lebanon Is Not Over (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 6.44 km/h