Armenian Woman in the Ranking of the Most Successful Businesswomen by "Forbes"
An American woman of Armenian origin Carolyn Rafaelyan appeared in the rating of the most successful US businesswomen. She took the 26th place in the "Forbes" magazine.
49-year-old Carolyn owns "Alex and Ani" jewelery company.
The company was founded in 2004 by Carolyn Rafaelian. The name comes from a combination of the first names of Rafaelian's two daughters. The company originally stated that they wanted to produce "bangle bracelets, necklaces, earrings and rings that adorn the body, enlighten the mind, and empower the spirit". The company first manufactured its jewelry in a factory that was founded by Rafaelian's father in 1966 and all materials are made in America. The first retail Alex and Ani store opened in Newport in 2009, and in addition to the stand-alone stores, the jewelry was sold through national departments stores.
The company first came to national attention in 2004, when they produced a necklace featuring an apple for Gwyneth Paltrow following the birth of her daughter Apple, leading to a large number of orders of similar merchandise. The company has described its products as "eco-friendly"; much of the materials used in the firm's designs is either recycled or from vintage articles.
In 2010, Alex and Ani — named after two of Rafaelian’s daughters — did an estimated $4.5 million in revenues. By 2015, sales had hit $500 million.
Rafaelian joins the ranks at #22, with an estimated net worth of $700 million, making her the second newcomer, after Gail Miller, billionaire owner of basketball’s Utah Jazz.
She’s the richest self-made woman in the nation to derive her wealth from jewelry, and joins an impressive group of fashion and retail moguls on Forbes’ ranking that includes Spanx founder Sara Blakely, preppie-chic designer Tory Burch, and bridal tycoon Vera Wang.
Alex and Ani now has 65 freestanding stores as well as concessions in hundreds of department stores and boutiques.
- When I Sit Around a Table with Other Armenians, Bread and Wine Taste Differently: The Armenian Speechwriter of 3 US Presidents Aram Bakhshyan was born in Washington, DC (USA), in 1944. His life is a vivid example of career rise and realization of personality: he was a freelance journalist, journal editor, art critic, teacher at...
- James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma James Bagyan was born in 1952 in Philadelphia. His parents moved to the USA from Trabzon. According to James himself, his grandfather, Nazareth Kundebagyan, emigrated from Arabkir to America in 1913.
- Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin Vazgen Oganesov performed his last combat sortie during the battles for Berlin. On the eve of the Victory it was necessary to prevent the aircraft of Hitler's Reich from German besiegers headed by Hitler...
- Gevorg Nalbandian: an Armenian who Wrote an Anthem for an African Country The small Armenian diaspora in this exotic ancient country has always occupied an important place in all areas of state and cultural life, Dlmn.info notes.
- The World Famous Armenian Soldiers: Avakyants, Shekerdzhyan, Derunyan ''Armedia'' IAA is presentd a series of articles on the life and professional activities of high-ranking Armenian military servicemen who served in the armed forces of other countries.
Trump must be Removed for "Treasonous Conduct" with Putin, Former White House Ethics Chief Says
Nikol Pashinyan, Petros Terzian Discuss Hayastan All-Armenian Fund’s Further Activities
Putin, Trump Not to Exchange Gifts?
EU is Ready to Help Armenia: EU Envoy
Lavrov, Pompeo Holding Their First Meeting in Helsinki
Princes Charles, William Unwilling to Meet with Trump during UK Visit
Paris Turns to Violence after France’s World Cup Victory Over Croatia
Israeli Rockets Strike Military Position Near Aleppo
President Armen Sarkissian Met with the Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani
What Does Armenian Prime Minister Expect from EU?
Trump Criticises Obama over US 2016 Election Hack
Putin, Erdogan Discuss Joint Steps in Syria
Theresa May warns there could be 'no Brexit at all' - Mail on Sunday
Armen Sarkissian Sent a Congratulatory Message to the Emmanuel Macron on the Occasion of National Holiday of France
Israeli PM responds to letter of Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem
Commemoration of the Apostle Thaddeus and the Virgin Sandoukht
Fifa World Cup 2018: Belgium v England
What is an ideal outcome of Trump-Putin meeting? Russian FM tells Larry King
President Armen Sarkissian Left for Moscow
PM Meets with Belgian-Armenian Businessmen
Prince William Got an Armenian Cross as a Gift
A Lebanese Politician of Armenian Ethnic Origins is in the top-5 of the Most Successful Business Women in the Middle East
Nikol Pashinyan: "A Historical Process of Reconciliation Between Law-Enforcement Authorities and Society is Taking Place in Armenia"
Newlywed Foreigners Apply for Artsakh Visa with Bride Wearing a Wedding Dress
Feast of Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Nikol Pashinyan: "Our most important goal is not only to stop the tide of emigration, but to reverse the trend" (PHOTOS)
Developments in Georgia: The Reasons of Prime Minister's Resignation and Prospects of Changes in the Country
Israel Defense Minister Cancels Azerbaijan Visit
Erdogan Plans to Involve Ethnic Armenian Economist Daron Acemoglu in the New Cabinet
Artsrun Hovhannisyan: The Activity of Azerbaijani Farmers and Shepherds is From Now on Threatened Due to "Liberator" Hasanov
Wind: 6.44 km/h