William Saroyan: Part of His Heart in Armenia...
"I do not write in Armenian, but I look at the world in Armenian." These are the words of William Saroyan – famous American writer of Armenian origin. Today is his birthday. The writer was born on August 31, 1908 in Fresno, California, in a poor family of Armenian migrants.
Despite the fact that Saroyan was born in the US, the worldview and the attitude of the author, his spirit are Armenian. He was born and all his life remained Armenian. "Although I write in English, and despite the fact that I’m from America, I consider myself an Armenian writer. The words I use are in English, the surroundings I write about are American, but the soul, which makes me write, is Armenian. This means I am an Armenian writer and deeply love the honor of being a part of the family of Armenian writers," Saroyan once said.
Saroyan's heroes are simple and not so happy people, about whom he wrote with warmth, compassion and hope for good.
William Saroyan wrote more than a thousand stories, twelve pieces and a dozen novels. One of his best works is considered "The Human Comedy", 1942, partially an autobiography. "I know you will remember this — that nothing good ever ends. If it did, there would be no people in the world — no life at all, anywhere. And the world is full of people and full of wonderful life," Saroyan wrote this in his "The Human Comedy".
This year the premiere of the film "Ithaca" shot partially on the basis of Saroyan's "The Human Comedy" will take place on December 31, 2016, Horizon Weekly reports.
In general, Saroyan addressed to a variety of genres and themes: from his historic homeland ("The Armenian and the Armenian") to pacifism ("The Adventures of Wesley Jackson"). He was awarded the Pulitzer Prize (1940) for best drama ("The best years of your life"), which he refused to take, as well as "Oscar" (1944) for "The Human Comedy".
William Saroyan died on May 18, 1981 in Fresno, where he was buried. However, according to his will, part of his heart was brought to Armenia...
- When I Sit Around a Table with Other Armenians, Bread and Wine Taste Differently: The Armenian Speechwriter of 3 US Presidents Aram Bakhshyan was born in Washington, DC (USA), in 1944. His life is a vivid example of career rise and realization of personality: he was a freelance journalist, journal editor, art critic, teacher at...
- James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma James Bagyan was born in 1952 in Philadelphia. His parents moved to the USA from Trabzon. According to James himself, his grandfather, Nazareth Kundebagyan, emigrated from Arabkir to America in 1913.
- Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin Vazgen Oganesov performed his last combat sortie during the battles for Berlin. On the eve of the Victory it was necessary to prevent the aircraft of Hitler's Reich from German besiegers headed by Hitler...
- Gevorg Nalbandian: an Armenian who Wrote an Anthem for an African Country The small Armenian diaspora in this exotic ancient country has always occupied an important place in all areas of state and cultural life, Dlmn.info notes.
- The World Famous Armenian Soldiers: Avakyants, Shekerdzhyan, Derunyan ''Armedia'' IAA is presentd a series of articles on the life and professional activities of high-ranking Armenian military servicemen who served in the armed forces of other countries.
Paris Turns to Violence after France’s World Cup Victory Over Croatia
Israeli Rockets Strike Military Position Near Aleppo
President Armen Sarkissian Met with the Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani
What Does Armenian Prime Minister Expect from EU?
Trump Criticises Obama over US 2016 Election Hack
Putin, Erdogan Discuss Joint Steps in Syria
Theresa May warns there could be 'no Brexit at all' - Mail on Sunday
Armen Sarkissian Sent a Congratulatory Message to the Emmanuel Macron on the Occasion of National Holiday of France
Israeli PM responds to letter of Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem
Commemoration of the Apostle Thaddeus and the Virgin Sandoukht
Fifa World Cup 2018: Belgium v England
What is an ideal outcome of Trump-Putin meeting? Russian FM tells Larry King
President Armen Sarkissian Left for Moscow
PM Meets with Belgian-Armenian Businessmen
Azerbaijan Fired Shots at Armenian Town at Night
Trump Says Iran Will Seek Fresh Deal
Stoltenberg: Allies Have Heard Trump's Defense Budget Message Loud and Clear
Kim Jong Un Sends Trump a ''Very Nice'' Letter
Armenian PM: It Would be Useful if NATO Sent Strong Message to Azerbaijan
Memorandum of the Artsakh Republic Foreign Ministry Published on the UN Official Website
Prince William Got an Armenian Cross as a Gift
A Lebanese Politician of Armenian Ethnic Origins is in the top-5 of the Most Successful Business Women in the Middle East
Nikol Pashinyan: "A Historical Process of Reconciliation Between Law-Enforcement Authorities and Society is Taking Place in Armenia"
Newlywed Foreigners Apply for Artsakh Visa with Bride Wearing a Wedding Dress
Feast of Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Developments in Georgia: The Reasons of Prime Minister's Resignation and Prospects of Changes in the Country
Nikol Pashinyan: "Our most important goal is not only to stop the tide of emigration, but to reverse the trend" (PHOTOS)
Israel Defense Minister Cancels Azerbaijan Visit
Artsrun Hovhannisyan: The Activity of Azerbaijani Farmers and Shepherds is From Now on Threatened Due to "Liberator" Hasanov
Erdogan Plans to Involve Ethnic Armenian Economist Daron Acemoglu in the New Cabinet
Wind: 17.70 km/h