William Saroyan: Part of His Heart in Armenia...
"I do not write in Armenian, but I look at the world in Armenian." These are the words of William Saroyan – famous American writer of Armenian origin. Today is his birthday. The writer was born on August 31, 1908 in Fresno, California, in a poor family of Armenian migrants.
Despite the fact that Saroyan was born in the US, the worldview and the attitude of the author, his spirit are Armenian. He was born and all his life remained Armenian. "Although I write in English, and despite the fact that I’m from America, I consider myself an Armenian writer. The words I use are in English, the surroundings I write about are American, but the soul, which makes me write, is Armenian. This means I am an Armenian writer and deeply love the honor of being a part of the family of Armenian writers," Saroyan once said.
Saroyan's heroes are simple and not so happy people, about whom he wrote with warmth, compassion and hope for good.
William Saroyan wrote more than a thousand stories, twelve pieces and a dozen novels. One of his best works is considered "The Human Comedy", 1942, partially an autobiography. "I know you will remember this — that nothing good ever ends. If it did, there would be no people in the world — no life at all, anywhere. And the world is full of people and full of wonderful life," Saroyan wrote this in his "The Human Comedy".
This year the premiere of the film "Ithaca" shot partially on the basis of Saroyan's "The Human Comedy" will take place on December 31, 2016, Horizon Weekly reports.
In general, Saroyan addressed to a variety of genres and themes: from his historic homeland ("The Armenian and the Armenian") to pacifism ("The Adventures of Wesley Jackson"). He was awarded the Pulitzer Prize (1940) for best drama ("The best years of your life"), which he refused to take, as well as "Oscar" (1944) for "The Human Comedy".
William Saroyan died on May 18, 1981 in Fresno, where he was buried. However, according to his will, part of his heart was brought to Armenia...
- The Armenian Love of Aivazovsky She loved him very much and did not require more attention than he could give. She understood that she would never occupy a place in his heart equal to the painting. Aivazovsky in turn adored Anna and...
- "Michelangelo in the Ballet": Armenian Agrippina Vaganova, the Founder of the Theory of Russian Ballet Sometimes the criticism towards Vaganova was not very flattering. For example, Marius Petipa, the French and Russian ballet dancer, choreographer and teacher, wrote in his diary: "Mrs. Vaganova is terrible,...
- Incredible Armenians or Celebrities Who Do Not Talk About Their Armenian Roots Another "incredible" Armenian is the British princess Diana, although she is only 1/64 Armenian. It turns out that her great-great-grandmother was a rich native from the Indian town of Gujarat.
- Gymnastics Skills Named after Armenian Athletes It should be noted, that it is not the first time Armenian gymnasts surprise with the complexity of their tricks.
- Armenian Woman in the Ranking of the Most Successful Businesswomen by "Forbes" The company first manufactured its jewelry in a factory that was founded by Rafaelian's father in 1966 and all materials are made in America.
Artsakh Republic President Attended Exhibition Devoted to the Life of Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia Garegin I Hovsepyan
Turkish University Administration Has Removed the Flag of Azerbaijan Demanding to Bring Back the Armenian Tricolor
Trump Hopes to Normalize Relations with Cuba
Edward Nalbandian: We Value NATO's Support to the Efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
The Greece Police Prevented Erdogan's Assassination
Weather Forecast in Armenia
Trump Administration to Drop Climate Change from a List of Global Threats in a New NSS
Sahakyan Attended an Exhibition Devoted to the Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia Garegin I Hovsepyan
Turkey Has Released German Journalist
Mkhitaryan Gives Inter Green Light
Deputy Secretary General of NATO Hopes to See a New Momentum in Resolving the Karabakh Conflict
Turkish ''Besiktas'' Is Interested in Henrikh Mkhitaryan
Iran to Increase Gas Supply to Armenia
Russian Presidential Campaign Officially Launched
The UN Security Council to Vote for a Resolution on Jerusalem
Putin Thanked Trump
Saudi Women Will Aso be Allowed to Drive Trucks, Ride Motorcycles
Joint Consultation Chaired by Artsakh President and Armenian Prime Minister
Russia Chose the Name for the Bridge in the Crimea
Armenian Don Boyajian to Become US Congressman
Armenian Patriarch and 12 other Heads of Churches in Jerusalem Wrote a Letter to President Trump
Russians Should Be Driven out Like Dogs, Armenians Must Be Massacred: Azerbaijani "Scientist''
Tigran Mansurian’s "Requiem" Nominated for Grammy Award
Putin Pushed Erdogan’s Chair to the Ground (VIDEO)
It Is Natural to Be in Artsakh and Struggle along with the People of Artsakh: Today Hero Monte Melkonyan Turns 60
Armenia Pays Tribute to the Memory of the Victims of 1988 Spitak Earthquake
TV Channel Discovery Has Shot 6 Videos about Armenia
Statement by the "European Integration" NGO on Signing the Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement with the EU
NKR Defense Army Servicemen Gegham Zaqaryan, Sargis Abrahamyan, Sargis Meliqyan, Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Lebanese-Armenian Independent Researcher: The Crisis in Lebanon Is Not Over (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 6.44 km/h