FIDH Vice President: Opening an Information Center of the CoE in Stepanakert is a Solvable Issue (EXCLUSIVE)
During the 39th International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) Congress in Johannesburg, Human rights defender from Armenia, Chairperson of Civil Society Institute NGO Artak Kirakosyan, was elected as a Vice President of the FIDH. The resolution adopted during the Congress also refers to the situation in Artsakh. "Armedia" IAA has talked with Human rights defender Artak Kirakosyan on the importance of the resolution, as well as about his plans as the Vice President of the FIDH.
- Mr Kirakosyan, what importance does the resolution adopted by FIDH have or what influence it can have?
- This resolution is also a working guidance for the Federation on human rights issues in controversial entities. During the Congress work in unrecognized conflict zones was emphasized as the main direction for FIDH, as today, in fact, about 4.5 million people live in a situation, when in the sphere of human rights international law does not work to the full.
- What mechanisms can there be for ensuring human rights protection in NKR?
- First of all, local mechanisms should work. We already have a new ombudsman, and I think he, as a professional, will work more effectively.
Second, NKR, as a state, has unilaterally joined several important conventions of the UN and the Council of Europe, and it is important that they are carried out, that mechanisms are developed by the state for their implementation. For example, one of those mechanisms can be public reports by NKR like Armenia does. There are also several opportunities to work with the European Court.
We think that two-sided work can be done - first, by the NKR authorities. Undertaking these obligations, unrecognized states even in the international arena are considered to be subjects, which are capable of and may maintain various international norms.
On the other hand, it is the international community that should work. It should not close its eyes on the problems of human rights issues in conflict zones and should work with the authorities there.
- Do you consider the establishment of the Office of the Council of Europe in NKR among the possible mechanisms?
- I have personally talked with the Office of the Human Rights Commissioner of the Council of Europe. This should also be a two-way process. Discussions have also been held with NKR Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Human Rights Defender clarifying that as the first step an information center of the Council of Europe in Stepanakert should be established, which will allow to get acquainted with the activities of the Council of Europe, with their documents, judgments of the European Court of Human Rights, etc. In the Council of Europe this was perceived as more a technical problem.
I think this is a solvable problem. The NKR authorities and people first of all should show an interest in the opening of the information center. Let's not forget also that the Office of the Council of Europe in Armenia was established on the basis of the information center. The same can be tried in NKR. Dissemination of information about the EU, the creation of a similar information center will also be effective. We should prepare ground for the construction of future relations.
- How much are the NKR civil society institutions involved in international organizations? What steps can be taken to increase their involvement?
- One of the calls of FIDH which was also reflected in the Resolution, is that the international community work with local NGOs, human rights defenders. This participation is very low. The Civil Society Institute also makes efforts to involve Karabakh partners in various programs.
But there is also another problem. We cannot rely only on the international community. There should be funds in Armenia to support civil society in Karabakh. In the scheme of "one nation, two states" should not be "one nation, two public" phenomenon: everything should be done to harmonize the societies of Armenia and NKR.
- What will your activities be as the Vice President of the International Federation for Human Rights?
- My responsibility has increased for the entire region, mainly with regard to the post-Soviet countries. I will try to support our colleagues in Turkey, human rights defenders, given the difficult situation there.
Our primary targets are conflict zones and mechanisms for protecting human rights.
Steps should be taken for the protection of civilians in times of war, because the response that we had in respect of war crimes by the international community in connection with the April events, was very weak.
- NKR Defense Army Shot Down an Azerbaijani Drone (Pics) The press service of the Defense Ministry of Artsakh reports that the enemy sent a drone to the Armenian territory with intelligence purposes.
- Artsakh Develops Relations with the USA at Different Levels The visit of Artsakh President and other high-level officials to the US and the meetings are especially prioritized when considered in the following three levels.
- NKR Defense Army: During the Past Week Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime About 250 Times The units of the Defense Army retain full-fledged control on the front line, continuing to confidently carry out their combat duty.
- OSCE Mission Monitoring: Azerbaijani Side Did Not Lead the OSCE Mission to Its Front-Line Positions From the Artsakh side, the monitoring mission was accompanied by representatives of the Republic of Artsakh Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Defense.
- ANCA Will Host a Conference in Honor of the 30th Anniversary of Karabakh Movement The conference will be held on Saturday March 17, 2018.
Commemoration of Raising of Lazarus
Erdogan: I Told Putin and Erdogan that Turkey Will Not Step Back in Syria
Museum of Armenian Culture Opened in Kiev
Prague-Yerevan-Prague Regular Flights to Be Restored
A New Stage in Relations between France and Germany
Ara Babloyan to Take Part at 138th Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union in Geneva
Aznavour Attached Importance to Introducing Investigative Mechanisms on Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border
British Prime Minister Welcomed the Approved Brexit Transition Period
RA MFA: If Baku Is Concerned Over Water Access, It Can Discuss the Issue with Stepanakert
The US State Department Approves $1bn Arms Sale to Saudi Arabia
State Department: The US Has No Intention to Leave Manbij
Arsenal Congratulates Mkhitaryan on Winning Footballer of the Year Award
Lapshin Invites Everyone to an Exhibition in Yerevan
EU Recalls Russian Envoy over ''Skripal Case''
Trump Replaces the US National Security Adviser
Final Stage of “I Am the Guide of My City” Program in Yerevan
Hearings on Funding Armenia and Artsakh Held in the US Congress
US Lifts Criminal Cases Against Erdoğan’s Security Guards
Bako Sahakyan's Visit to the US Was Indeed Organized at a High Level
China Has Tested Chinese-Made Unmanned Tank for the First Time
James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma
Why the Figure Skater Evgenia Medvedeva (Babasyan) Did Not Take Her Father's Name?
Azerbaijani Blogger: Armenians Did not Destroy Azerbaijani Graves in Karabakh
Armenia Negotiates with Four Countries over Creation of Persian Gulf: Black Sea Transit Corridor
Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin
Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia: Armenia Plays a Positive Role in Improving Russian-Georgian Relations (EXCLUSIVE)
Lapshin Showed the Difference in the Education of Armenian and Azerbaijani Children (VIDEO)
Armenian Delegation Invited OSCE PA President to Visit Artsakh and Meet the Authorities There: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
Our Delegation Made It Clear That It is Impossible to Have the Same Approach Towards All Conflicts: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
The Silence of the International Community on Aliyev's Statements May Lead to Irreversible Consequences
Wind: 17.70 km/h