NKR Deputy: On the Day of Independence Referendum Heavy Artillery was Shelling the People (EXCLUSIVE)
On the occassion of the 25th anniversary of NKR independence referendum "Armedia" IAA presents an exclusive interview with NKR National Assembly Deputy, Vardges Baghryan.
-Mr. Baghryan, you, as a journalist, who covered the referendum of NKR independence on December 10, 1991, can you tell us in what circumstances it was held?
- I was really honored to cover the referendum of NKR independence on December 10, 1991. Fortunately, the edited video is preserved and seeing these shots we can see that there was a war in Artsakh, and not only on the borders or border villages, but also in the capital Stepanakert. On December 10, when the civilians came to perform their civic duty, heavy artillery was shelling the city, building were being destroyed. Moreover, when I was conducting an interview with a member of the Supreme Council Smirnov shotd were heard near the theater from the suburbs Kyrkzhan were. These shots are recorded in the report and about them was speaking Smirnov. The indipendence of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic was proclaimed on September 2, the independence referendum was the next step.
- On December 10, 2006 the people of Artsakh in the referendum adopted the country's Constitution. What is its importance in the life of Artsakh?
-10 years ago, the Constitution of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic was adopted. This was necessary. Before, we were guided by different laws, but the adoption of the Constitution was necessary. And we accepted the Constitution in a relatively peaceful environment. In both cases, the participation was very high, and people knew what they are voting for. By the way, December 10 is Human Rights Day, and this day was chosen not by chance, as then (1991) perhaps nowhere human rights were being violated more, then in Artsakh.
- Today the issue of constitutional changes are being discussed in Artsakh. What does it mean to Artsakh?
- There were two opinions- parliamentary or presidential form of government? In the end, the political forces, not all of course (there are still differences), but for the most part, came to the conclusion that the presidential form of government is right. This, incidentally, also coincides with my opinion, which I have always expressed. I believe that the parliamentary form of government is not for us. We need a strong hand, a centralized authority.
It does not mean establishment of dictatorship. We had a parliamentary form of government, where Azerbaijan launched full-scale war. However, in many cases, during the war, the same 90 years, it was not even possible to convene a session as a considerable part of the deputies were at the front. In August 1992, the State Defense Committee was established that the power was in the hands of one person. Today the situation is certainly not the same as in 1990s, but it is possible that it could happen again, because the enemy is constantly threatening to take Karabakh by force.
This means that we must always be ready for war. That is why I believe that the presidential form of government is right. But the final word will tell the people in a referendum.
- Azerbaiijan Violated Ceasefire Regime More Than 35 Times In the southern direction of the border, Azerbaijan used 60-millimeter mortars (2 shells).
- No One Is Competent to Solve at Least Two Issues instead of Artsakh Republic. Shavarsh Kocharyan Artsakh Republic has its problems with Azerbaijan, particularly, in regard to the occupation of some of Artsakh territories by Azerbaijan, and it is only a matter of resolving by the Nagorno-Karabakh authorities....
- NKR Defense Army: Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime over 35 Times The Azerbaijani Armed Forces fired more than 350 shots in the direction of the Armenian positions.
- At Moscow Meeting Armenian and Azerbaijani FMs Agreed to Continue the Talks The Armenian and Azerbaijani FMs expressed their gratitude to Russia’s Foreign Minister for his continuous efforts aimed at supporting the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
- NKR Defense Army Soldier Fatally Wounded Investigation is underway to find out the details of the incident.
Why Does Turkey Block Wikipedia in its Territory?
President Sargsyan Sent a Letter of Condolences to the President of Kyrgyzstan
Almost 4,000 Military and Civil Servants Removed From Their Positions in Turkey
Mehriban Aliyeva's Another Blow to "Nakhichevan" Clan: Interview With an Expert on Azerbaijan
April 30 Is International Jazz Day
Azerbaiijan Violated Ceasefire Regime More Than 35 Times
Trump Plans to Have the Highest Increase In the US Military Budget Since Reagan
No One Is Competent to Solve at Least Two Issues instead of Artsakh Republic. Shavarsh Kocharyan
Russia Has Evidence of Yatsenyuk’s Involvement in Chechnya Executions in 1995
Escalation in Syria: Erdogan I – The Phantom Menace of NATO
Turkish Prosecutor Demands Life Sentences for 46 Suspects in 'Erdogan Assassination' Case
NKR Defense Army: Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime over 35 Times
The EAEU Can Become the Core For Continental Economic Integration
Farmanyan: PACE Rules of Procedure to be Changed for Removing Agramunt as President
OSCE Carried out Monitoring on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border
At Moscow Meeting Armenian and Azerbaijani FMs Agreed to Continue the Talks
Trump Wants South Korea to Pay $1 Billion For US Anti-Missile Defense System
PACE Has Started Agramunt's Impeachment Procedure
Venice Will Limit the Number of Tourists
Trump On Presidency: I Thought It Would Be Easier
Cher Explained why UK and US Refuse to Recognize Armenian Genocide
Kandelaki continues hailing Mkhitaryan on social media
Erdogan Confesses: Those, Who Were Thrown into the Sea 100 Years Ago, Now Say 'No' to Constitutional Amendments
11,000 $ Will Be Given to the Family of the Killed Armenian Soldier of the Turkish Army
Charles Aznavour: I Wish Armenia Was Surrounded Only by Friendly Countries
Selina Dogan: People in Turkey, Including the Armenian Community, Do Not Have Any Hope (EXCLUSIVE)
Serzh Tankian Sings In the Shushi Ghazanchetsots Cathedral (Video)
Aris Georgopoulos: Brexit Referendum Became a Platform of Expression of a New Kind of Nationalism in the UK (EXCLUSIVE)
Republican Party of Armenia and Its Foreign Policy Priorities: Interview with Artak Zakaryan (EXCLUSIVE)
Easter: a Hope for Living
Wind: 6.44 km/h