NKR Deputy: On the Day of Independence Referendum Heavy Artillery was Shelling the People (EXCLUSIVE)
On the occassion of the 25th anniversary of NKR independence referendum "Armedia" IAA presents an exclusive interview with NKR National Assembly Deputy, Vardges Baghryan.
-Mr. Baghryan, you, as a journalist, who covered the referendum of NKR independence on December 10, 1991, can you tell us in what circumstances it was held?
- I was really honored to cover the referendum of NKR independence on December 10, 1991. Fortunately, the edited video is preserved and seeing these shots we can see that there was a war in Artsakh, and not only on the borders or border villages, but also in the capital Stepanakert. On December 10, when the civilians came to perform their civic duty, heavy artillery was shelling the city, building were being destroyed. Moreover, when I was conducting an interview with a member of the Supreme Council Smirnov shotd were heard near the theater from the suburbs Kyrkzhan were. These shots are recorded in the report and about them was speaking Smirnov. The indipendence of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic was proclaimed on September 2, the independence referendum was the next step.
- On December 10, 2006 the people of Artsakh in the referendum adopted the country's Constitution. What is its importance in the life of Artsakh?
-10 years ago, the Constitution of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic was adopted. This was necessary. Before, we were guided by different laws, but the adoption of the Constitution was necessary. And we accepted the Constitution in a relatively peaceful environment. In both cases, the participation was very high, and people knew what they are voting for. By the way, December 10 is Human Rights Day, and this day was chosen not by chance, as then (1991) perhaps nowhere human rights were being violated more, then in Artsakh.
- Today the issue of constitutional changes are being discussed in Artsakh. What does it mean to Artsakh?
- There were two opinions- parliamentary or presidential form of government? In the end, the political forces, not all of course (there are still differences), but for the most part, came to the conclusion that the presidential form of government is right. This, incidentally, also coincides with my opinion, which I have always expressed. I believe that the parliamentary form of government is not for us. We need a strong hand, a centralized authority.
It does not mean establishment of dictatorship. We had a parliamentary form of government, where Azerbaijan launched full-scale war. However, in many cases, during the war, the same 90 years, it was not even possible to convene a session as a considerable part of the deputies were at the front. In August 1992, the State Defense Committee was established that the power was in the hands of one person. Today the situation is certainly not the same as in 1990s, but it is possible that it could happen again, because the enemy is constantly threatening to take Karabakh by force.
This means that we must always be ready for war. That is why I believe that the presidential form of government is right. But the final word will tell the people in a referendum.
- OSCE Monitoring to Be Conducted on NKR-Azerbaijan Border The authorities of the Republic of Artsakh have expressed their readiness to assist in conducting the monitoring and to ensure the security of the OSCE Mission members.
- The Number of Marriages in Artsakh Increased in 2017 In 2017 the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Artsakh has registered 23 cases of foreign citizens' marriage permissions.
- The Priority in the Negotiations Is the Implementation of Agreements Reached in Vienna, St. Petersburg and Geneva the Ministers have in general agreed on the extension of the Office of the Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairman-in-Office presented by the Co-Chairs. And this means that the mediators endeavor...
- Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs' Meeting Over in Krakow The meeting was initiated by the OSCE Minsk Group Co-chairs.
- US Congressman Called to Expand US-Artsakh Ties ANCA thanked Congressman Pallone for taking a legislative sledgehammer to the walls that have, for far too long, prevented the very type of open dialogue that is so very necessary for a durable and democratic...
US Warns the YPG to Cut Support If They Spot Fighting the ISIS
The RA President Arrived in Strasbourg
Germany to Halt Arms Exports to Turkey
President meets with members of French National Assembly and Senate Friendship Groups
Turkey Says Has "Neutralized" 260 Militants in Syria
Karen Karapetyan: Singapore's Development Path Is a Good Example for Armenia
Mkhitaryan Will Miss Today’s Match against Chelsea
OSCE Monitoring to Be Conducted on NKR-Azerbaijan Border
Qatar Supports Turkey’s Operation in Afrin
2 Dead, 19 Injured in US School Shooting
"Thank You, Armenian Soldier": Charitable Concert in Armenia
Armenian PM Meets with Major International Companies’ Leadership in Davos
Garo Paylan Nommed for Nobel Peace Prize
PACE Monitoring Committee Appointed a New Co-Rapporteur on Armenia
Macron Received the RA President at the Elysee Palace
Kurds and Turks Clash in Germany
Emil Jamil Lahoud: Armenian President of Lebanon
French Foreign Minister Calls on Turkey for Greatest Level of Restraint
Bako Sahakyan Partook at the Meeting of the Defense Army's Military Council
From Time to Time Precipitation is Predicted
Armenian Repatriate from Canada: In Artsakh People Live Happier than in Other Civilized Countries
Artsakh MFA: Call of the Azerbaijani FM to the French Government to Impede the Visits of the Citizens of Artsakh Is Unlawful
In Turkey Woman Who Recognizes Armenian Genocide is Elected the Head of Main Opposition Party Istanbul Chapter
2017 - Second Warmest since 1880 (VIDEO)
Armenian Civil Society Receives €1.74 million for New Activities from the EU
New Act against Iran in US Congress
Syria Threatens to "Destroy" Any Turkish Warplanes Flying into Its Territory
Statement of Artsakh National Assembly on 28th Anniversary of the Mass Pogroms of the Armenians in Baku
The World's Most Creative Christmas Trees Ever
Shastri Ramachandaran: Any Conflict Between China and US Would Destabilize the Global Economy (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 6.44 km/h