Iran: Political Actions During Rafsanjani's Funeral
Former Iranian president Akbar Hashemi-Rafsanjani's funeral became an occasion for political action for Iranian reformists. Separate groups of people from the procession were demanding from the authorities to release former Prime Minister Reformist Mir Hossein Mousavi, as well as expressed support to former President Mohammad Khatami.
Iran's "reform era" is sometimes said to have lasted from 1997 to 2005: the length of Khatami's two terms in office. But Islamic revolution’s leaders and supporters, conservatives, saw the spread of freedom and democratic values of West as a serious threat to the revolution ideology. In any case, the reformists are a big power in Iranian political life. Thus, parliamentary elections in Iran in early 2016 were won by candidates from the reformist camp: in the 10th session of the Iranian parliament, reformists received 133 seats, while the Conservatives 125.
Though the Iranian parliament does not have a big role in the political life, the government of the Islamic Republic is fully concentrated in the hands of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei, but the victory of reformists in the election will allow President Hassan Rohani to continue the policy of internal reforms. It should be noted that unlike Khatami reformist President Rouhani backed by Supreme Leader due to an agreement between the parties regarding the regional ambitions of Iran, as well as the fact that Rohani, who is trying to gather around him not only the Reformist but the moderate conservatives, emphasizes reforms more on the country's life and mainly avoid radical steps. As a result due to prudent policy of Rouhani it is still possible to avoid serious clashes between political forces, which could lead to a political crisis in Iran.
- Ahmadinejad Was Disqualified from Running For a President The decision on Thursday was taken by the Guardian Council, a clerical body charged with vetting candidates for the May 19 election.
- Ahmadinejad Will Run As a President Candidate In the Upcoming Elections Registration for the May 19 election started on Monday and will last five days, after which entrants will be screened for their political and Islamic qualifications by a vetting body, the Guardian Council.
- Iranian Foreign Minister: Russia Can Use Iranian Military Bases for Airstrikes Against Terrorists in Syria "Russia doesn't have a military base [in Iran], we have good cooperation, and on a case by case basis, when it is necessary for Russians fighting terrorism to use Iranian facilities, we will make a decision,"...
- Hassa Rouhani to Seek Reelection for 2nd Term in Presidential Election Rouhani won the 2013 elections and remains popular in the country for reaching progress on the deescalation of crisis surrounding Iran's nuclear program, removing international sanctions and improving...
- Turkish Ambassador Summoned to the Iranian MFA As the Iranian source informs, the Foreign Ministry of Iran has submitted his complaint to the Turkish ambassador over the anti-Iranian announcements.
Why Does Turkey Block Wikipedia in its Territory?
President Sargsyan Sent a Letter of Condolences to the President of Kyrgyzstan
Almost 4,000 Military and Civil Servants Removed From Their Positions in Turkey
Mehriban Aliyeva's Another Blow to "Nakhichevan" Clan: Interview With an Expert on Azerbaijan
April 30 Is International Jazz Day
Azerbaiijan Violated Ceasefire Regime More Than 35 Times
Trump Plans to Have the Highest Increase In the US Military Budget Since Reagan
No One Is Competent to Solve at Least Two Issues instead of Artsakh Republic. Shavarsh Kocharyan
Russia Has Evidence of Yatsenyuk’s Involvement in Chechnya Executions in 1995
Escalation in Syria: Erdogan I – The Phantom Menace of NATO
Turkish Prosecutor Demands Life Sentences for 46 Suspects in 'Erdogan Assassination' Case
NKR Defense Army: Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime over 35 Times
The EAEU Can Become the Core For Continental Economic Integration
Farmanyan: PACE Rules of Procedure to be Changed for Removing Agramunt as President
OSCE Carried out Monitoring on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border
At Moscow Meeting Armenian and Azerbaijani FMs Agreed to Continue the Talks
Trump Wants South Korea to Pay $1 Billion For US Anti-Missile Defense System
PACE Has Started Agramunt's Impeachment Procedure
Venice Will Limit the Number of Tourists
Trump On Presidency: I Thought It Would Be Easier
Cher Explained why UK and US Refuse to Recognize Armenian Genocide
Kandelaki continues hailing Mkhitaryan on social media
Erdogan Confesses: Those, Who Were Thrown into the Sea 100 Years Ago, Now Say 'No' to Constitutional Amendments
11,000 $ Will Be Given to the Family of the Killed Armenian Soldier of the Turkish Army
Charles Aznavour: I Wish Armenia Was Surrounded Only by Friendly Countries
Selina Dogan: People in Turkey, Including the Armenian Community, Do Not Have Any Hope (EXCLUSIVE)
Serzh Tankian Sings In the Shushi Ghazanchetsots Cathedral (Video)
Aris Georgopoulos: Brexit Referendum Became a Platform of Expression of a New Kind of Nationalism in the UK (EXCLUSIVE)
Republican Party of Armenia and Its Foreign Policy Priorities: Interview with Artak Zakaryan (EXCLUSIVE)
Easter: a Hope for Living
Wind: 6.44 km/h