Armenian National Committee of America Worried About Trump's Migration Ban
The Armenian National Committee of America on Monday issued a statement regarding the January 27, White House Executive Order on immigration, titled, “Protecting the Nation From Foreign Terrorist Entry Into The United States”.
The complete text of the ANCA statement, as Asbarez reports, reads as follows:
"ANCA Statement on the White House Immigration Executive Order
The Armenian National Committee of America remains engaged and concerned regarding the developing situation surrounding the White House’s January 27th immigration Executive Order, both at the level of U.S. policy and in terms of this action’s impact on Armenian individuals and families.
As has been widely reported, the Executive Order, titled, “Protecting the Nation From Foreign Terrorist Entry Into The United States,” places restrictions on travel to the U.S. by citizens of Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Sudan.
This travel ban has been applied to refugees and visa holders from these designated countries as well as to those with green cards who already have permanent residency or other legal status in the US. The ban, initially in effect for a period of 90 days, may become permanent. We have witnessed uneven and inconsistent enforcement of the order, reflecting apparent confusion among government officials and within the travel industry. The federal courts have issued a stay on the enforcement of the order, but the extent of this legal action, and how it will affect non-U.S. citizens, remains unclear. Future Congressional and court action may also influence how non-U.S. citizens and their families are impacted.
As the ANCA continues to engage relevant stakeholders – including Congress and the White House – we offer the following recommendations:
1. The ANCA encourages Armenians whose relatives or friends have been detained at U.S. ports of entry or who have been blocked from re-entry to the U.S. to contact us immediately at [email protected] or (202) 775-1918. Please be prepared to share basic information, including a description of the situation and the name of any legal counsel. (This information will remain confidential.)
2. Until there is greater clarity regarding the full legal scope and nature of these restrictions, the ANCA recommends that Armenians from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen, who are not U.S. citizens, refrain from leaving the U.S., due to the increased risk that they will be denied re-entry, regardless of their immigration status.
3. The ANCA is regularly consulting with civil and legal rights organizations for the most up to date information on this unfolding situation and will provide community updates, as they become available.
As Americans of Armenian heritage – a community of proud immigrants, many descended from the families of Armenian Genocide survivors with roots in Syria, Iraq, Iran and other countries cited in this order – we remain deeply concerned by the moral, legal and humanitarian implications of these new restrictions. We will act vigilantly to protect the human and legal rights of Armenians harmed by this executive order. As a matter of public policy, we are communicating our concerns, on a bipartisan basis, with both houses of Congress and the White House. Consistent with our mission, we will remain vigilant in protecting the welfare of our community and advancing our shared interest in a strong Diaspora, a secure Armenia, a free Artsakh, and a just resolution of the Armenian Genocide."
- Mike Pompeo: the Most Conservative US State Secretary? In this context it is interesting that his most favorite book is Ayn Rand’s novel Atlas Shrugged, which depicts "a dystopian United States in which private businesses suffer under increasingly burdensome...
- NKR President Met With the Representatives of Ramkavar Azatakan Party in Washington The meetings addressed diverse issues related to the Artsakh domestic and foreign policy, the Artsakh-Diaspora cooperation, developing and deepening the USA-Artsakh ties.
- Artsakh President Was Awarded with "Mesrop Mashtots" Order Bako Sahakyan also recognized the important role of the U.S. Armenian organisations in international recognition of Artsakh and making our country recognizable worldwide.
- Washington: Bako Sahakyan Visited the Headquarters of ANCA President Sahakyan highlighted the ANCA's activity in solving various national issues conveying gratitude for constantly keeping the Artsakh-related issues in the spotlight of attention.
- NKR President Bako Sahakyan Made a Speech at the US Congress The President accentuated Washington's considerable contribution in maintaining peace and stability in our region, in peaceful and just solution of the Azerbaijani-Karabakh conflict.
Mike Pompeo: the Most Conservative US State Secretary?
RA President Congratulated His Chinese Counterpart
Two Armenians Killed in Los Angeles Shooting
Russia Has Expelled 23 British Diplomats
Perspectives of IT Sector Development in Artsakh Were Discussed
Armenian Chess Players Participate in Individual Championship of Europe
New Secretary of State: Will the US Foreign Policy Become More Agressive?
A Turkish Bombing Raid Struck the Main Hospital in Afrin: At Least 16 Civilians Killed
RA President Met with the Upper Board of Armenia’s Supreme Judicial Council
Xi Jinping Re-Elected as China’s President
Candidates Tournament: Aronian Defeated by So
NKR President Met With the Representatives of Ramkavar Azatakan Party in Washington
Commemoration of St. Gregory the Illuminator’s Torments and Commitment to the Pit
Charles Aznavour Received Czech Rep. Award
Migrants Clash with Madrid Police
Dollar Falling in Armenia
The CSTO PA Should Strictly Respond to Azerbaijan’s Destructive Actions
The Republic of Armenia Stands by the People of Lebanon
Donald Trump Jr and wife Vanessa Separating After 12 Years of Marriage
Artsakh President Was Awarded with "Mesrop Mashtots" Order
Why the Figure Skater Evgenia Medvedeva (Babasyan) Did Not Take Her Father's Name?
Armenian President Schools Azeri Diplomat on History at Munich Security Conference
Azerbaijani Blogger: Armenians Did not Destroy Azerbaijani Graves in Karabakh
February 20: the Birth of Artsakh Movement
President Attends Bookinist Bookstore on the Occasion of Book Giving Day
Armenia Negotiates with Four Countries over Creation of Persian Gulf: Black Sea Transit Corridor
Serzh Sargsyan: Azerbaijan’s Position Regarding the Nagorno Karabakh Issue is a Flagrant Violation of the Helsinki Spirit
Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin
Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia: Armenia Plays a Positive Role in Improving Russian-Georgian Relations (EXCLUSIVE)
Lapshin Showed the Difference in the Education of Armenian and Azerbaijani Children (VIDEO)
Wind: 11.27 km/h