What Can Be the US Response to the North Korean Tension?
The developments in the Korean Peninsula continue to be at the center of the attention of the international media. The tension further escalated, when North Korea last Sunday unsuccessfully launched a ballistic missile, which was said to be in response of the fleet of American warships sailing to the Korean Peninsula. Another provocation from the North Korea came during the 105th anniversary of the birth of North Korean founder Kim Il Sung, a video was shown, in which intercontinental ballistic missile soared across the Pacific Ocean, obliterating an American city.
In the face of all these there is still much deliberation what will the US response to all this be. To answer this question, it will be useful to review the comments of the high level US officials so far made on the issue. During his visits to South Korea, the US Vice President Michael Pence noted:
"The world had witnessed Trump's resolve in the past two weeks, which saw a U.S. missile attack on a Syrian airfield and the dropping of a powerful non-nuclear bomb on Islamic State in Afghanistan. North Korea would do well not to test his resolve or the strength of the armed forces of the United States in this region," Reuters reports.
In addition, Pence declared that the "era of strategic patience is over" with North Korea, the statement, which was previously made by the US Secretary of State Rex, during his visit to China. However, on Monday, the White House Speaker asked the reporters not to make an analogy on the US actions on the one hand in Syria, Afghanistan, on the other hand in North Korea. Instead he noted:
"I think you see China playing a much more active role with respect to North Korea both politically and economically, that they can continue to apply pressure to achieve results. And I think we're going to continue to urge China to exhibit its influence in the region to get better results." In his turn already in Japan, US Vice President also spoke of economic and diplomatic measures against North Korea to be implemented in cooperation with its partner in the region and China.
In one of his tweets the US President Donald Trump also emphasized the necessity of cooperation with China on the issue. He particularly noted: "Why would I call China a currency manipulator when they are working with us on the North Korean problem? We will see what happens!"
Judging from the rhetoric of the high level US officials, we can assume that at least at this stage they keep rhetoric high to make their stance on the issue stronger. What refers to the concrete actions, if there are no unplanned, unexpected developments, at this stage the US will be more prone to what they call diplomatic and economic actions, which will be done in close cooperation with their allies in the region and in agreement with China.
- Mike Pompeo: the Most Conservative US State Secretary? In this context it is interesting that his most favorite book is Ayn Rand’s novel Atlas Shrugged, which depicts "a dystopian United States in which private businesses suffer under increasingly burdensome...
- NKR President Met With the Representatives of Ramkavar Azatakan Party in Washington The meetings addressed diverse issues related to the Artsakh domestic and foreign policy, the Artsakh-Diaspora cooperation, developing and deepening the USA-Artsakh ties.
- Artsakh President Was Awarded with "Mesrop Mashtots" Order Bako Sahakyan also recognized the important role of the U.S. Armenian organisations in international recognition of Artsakh and making our country recognizable worldwide.
- Washington: Bako Sahakyan Visited the Headquarters of ANCA President Sahakyan highlighted the ANCA's activity in solving various national issues conveying gratitude for constantly keeping the Artsakh-related issues in the spotlight of attention.
- NKR President Bako Sahakyan Made a Speech at the US Congress The President accentuated Washington's considerable contribution in maintaining peace and stability in our region, in peaceful and just solution of the Azerbaijani-Karabakh conflict.
Mike Pompeo: the Most Conservative US State Secretary?
RA President Congratulated His Chinese Counterpart
Two Armenians Killed in Los Angeles Shooting
Russia Has Expelled 23 British Diplomats
Perspectives of IT Sector Development in Artsakh Were Discussed
Armenian Chess Players Participate in Individual Championship of Europe
New Secretary of State: Will the US Foreign Policy Become More Agressive?
A Turkish Bombing Raid Struck the Main Hospital in Afrin: At Least 16 Civilians Killed
RA President Met with the Upper Board of Armenia’s Supreme Judicial Council
Xi Jinping Re-Elected as China’s President
Candidates Tournament: Aronian Defeated by So
NKR President Met With the Representatives of Ramkavar Azatakan Party in Washington
Commemoration of St. Gregory the Illuminator’s Torments and Commitment to the Pit
Charles Aznavour Received Czech Rep. Award
Migrants Clash with Madrid Police
Dollar Falling in Armenia
The CSTO PA Should Strictly Respond to Azerbaijan’s Destructive Actions
The Republic of Armenia Stands by the People of Lebanon
Donald Trump Jr and wife Vanessa Separating After 12 Years of Marriage
Artsakh President Was Awarded with "Mesrop Mashtots" Order
Why the Figure Skater Evgenia Medvedeva (Babasyan) Did Not Take Her Father's Name?
Armenian President Schools Azeri Diplomat on History at Munich Security Conference
Azerbaijani Blogger: Armenians Did not Destroy Azerbaijani Graves in Karabakh
February 20: the Birth of Artsakh Movement
President Attends Bookinist Bookstore on the Occasion of Book Giving Day
Armenia Negotiates with Four Countries over Creation of Persian Gulf: Black Sea Transit Corridor
Serzh Sargsyan: Azerbaijan’s Position Regarding the Nagorno Karabakh Issue is a Flagrant Violation of the Helsinki Spirit
Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin
Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia: Armenia Plays a Positive Role in Improving Russian-Georgian Relations (EXCLUSIVE)
Lapshin Showed the Difference in the Education of Armenian and Azerbaijani Children (VIDEO)
Wind: 11.27 km/h