US Congress Introduced a Resolution Condemning Turkish Violence in Washington
House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed Royce (R-CA, Ranking Member Eliot Engel (D-NY), Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), and Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer (D-MD) introduced a House Resolution 354, condemning the violence against peaceful protesters outside the Turkish Ambassador's residence on May 16, 2017, the Armenian Assembly of America (Assembly) reported.
The House Resolution calls for "the perpetrators to be brought to justice."
H.Res. 354 resolution states:
"After hours of peaceful protest, violence erupted when pro-Erdogan supporters and individuals from the Turkish Embassy grounds pushed past District of Columbia police officers to brutally attack the demonstrators." The Resolution expressed deep concern that "Turkish officials blatantly suppressed the First Amendment rights of United States citizens, and multiple armed Turkish security officials beat, kicked, and choked unarmed demonstrators."
In addition, the Resolution noted that the Washington Metropolitan Police Department and other reports confirm that "the demonstrators did not instigate the violence," and that this is the third instance of violence perpetrated in the U.S. by members of Turkish President Erdogan's security detail.
H.Res. 354 calls for "any Turkish security officials who directed, oversaw, or participated in efforts by Turkish security forces to illegally suppress peaceful protests on May 16, 2017, should be charged and prosecuted under United States law."
Taking a strong stand against the growing trend of repressive authoritarianism in Turkey, H.Res. 354 states that "the United States should take steps to strengthen freedoms for the press and civil society in countries such as Turkey, and combat efforts by foreign leaders to suppress free and peaceful protest in their own countries."
"The Assembly applauds Representatives Royce, Engel, McCarthy, and Hoyer and their introduction of bipartisan legislation condemning Turkey's outrageous attack against peaceful protesters and assault on our cherished democratic values," Assembly Executive Director Bryan Ardouny said.
- PACE Eliminates Turkish from the List of Working Languages Thus there will be no separate translation into Turkish of Committee meetings and plenary sessions. If needed, the Turkish Parliament will assume the costs of the translation.
- Turkish Foreign Minister to Leave for Russia with an Official Visit "Turkey attaches great importance to relations with Russia. Our Foreign Minister will pay a visit to Moscow from March12 to 14, during which he will discuss preparations for the summit meeting of the Cooperation...
- The US Embassy in Ankara Continues to be Closed because of Security Threat Embassy Ankara informs U.S. citizens that the U.S. Embassy in Ankara will be closed to the public on March 5, 2018, due to a security threat. The Embassy will announce its reopening, once it resumes services.
- Unidentified Assailants Vandalize Turkish Embassy Building in Berlin Police closed the Embassy street after the incident and an investigation is underway to identify the assailants.
- Kurdish YPG: Syrian Army Must Come Help Stop Turkey The YPG has called on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s government to send troops to the Afrin region in the northwest, and pro-Damascus militias arrived there late on Tuesday.
- McCain Blasts Trump for Congratulating Putin on ''Sham''Election Win The Republican chair of the House Foreign Affairs Committee also slammed Trump for making the call.
- White House Explains Why Trump Didn’t Congratulate Putin on Election Deputy press secretary Hogan Gidley told reporters that the Trump administration will work to cultivate the relationship they have with Russia.
- Artsakh Develops Relations with the USA at Different Levels The visit of Artsakh President and other high-level officials to the US and the meetings are especially prioritized when considered in the following three levels.
- Mike Pompeo: the Most Conservative US State Secretary? In this context it is interesting that his most favorite book is Ayn Rand’s novel Atlas Shrugged, which depicts "a dystopian United States in which private businesses suffer under increasingly burdensome...
- NKR President Met With the Representatives of Ramkavar Azatakan Party in Washington The meetings addressed diverse issues related to the Artsakh domestic and foreign policy, the Artsakh-Diaspora cooperation, developing and deepening the USA-Artsakh ties.
Final Stage of “I Am the Guide of My City” Program in Yerevan
Hearings on Funding Armenia and Artsakh Held in the US Congress
US Lifts Criminal Cases Against Erdoğan’s Security Guards
Bako Sahakyan's Visit to the US Was Indeed Organized at a High Level
China Has Tested Chinese-Made Unmanned Tank for the First Time
Sarkozy - under Formal Investigation
UK Wants to Convince Its European Allies to Expel Russian Diplomats
President of Artsakh Met with the Lebanese Armenian Business Community
Six Peoples Killed in Blast at Czech Chemical Plant
Trump Set to Announce China Sanctions after IP Probe
The Syrian Government Close to Ending Rebel Resistance in Eastern Ghouta
The Armenian Government Approved a Bill on Ratification of Armenia-EU Agreement
Baku’s Attempts to Isolate Armenia and the Ways to Counteract Them
Germany Deports 50 Georgian Citizens
Zakharova About Lavrov's Possible Resignation
Theresa May to Encourage European Leaders to Expel Russian Intelligence Agents from Their Own Countries
NKR President Partook at an Opening Ceremony of an Independence Monument
British Ambassador Refused the Call of Russia's Foreign Ministry
Polish FM Speaks of Democracy Crisis in Europe
Putin and Trump Agree Arms Race Would Be Undesirable
James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma
Why the Figure Skater Evgenia Medvedeva (Babasyan) Did Not Take Her Father's Name?
Azerbaijani Blogger: Armenians Did not Destroy Azerbaijani Graves in Karabakh
Armenia Negotiates with Four Countries over Creation of Persian Gulf: Black Sea Transit Corridor
Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin
Lapshin Showed the Difference in the Education of Armenian and Azerbaijani Children (VIDEO)
Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia: Armenia Plays a Positive Role in Improving Russian-Georgian Relations (EXCLUSIVE)
Armenian Delegation Invited OSCE PA President to Visit Artsakh and Meet the Authorities There: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
Our Delegation Made It Clear That It is Impossible to Have the Same Approach Towards All Conflicts: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
Diogo Pinto: 30 Years Ago Azerbaijan Launched Large-Scale Pogroms and Ethnic Cleansing against Armenians
Wind: 11.27 km/h