Donald Trump Refuses to Hold Traditional White House Ramadan Celebration
Donald Trump’s government has not held an iftar dinner for the end of Ramadan, breaking a Muslim tradition held at the White House for more than two centuries, The Independent reports. The iftar dinner occurs at sunset at the end of the holy month of Ramadan, the ninth month of the Islam lunar calendar and a time of prayer, reflection and fasting.
White House officials reportedly spend months planning the event, which has been held every year under the Clinton, Bush and Obama administrations, but 2017 took a different path.
The White House tradition started with earnest in 1996, when First Lady Hillary Clinton hosted 150 people after learning more about the ritual from her daughter Chelsea, who had reportedly studied Islamic history in school, as reported by Muslim Voices. President George W Bush hosted the dinner every year for his two terms, including just after the 9/11 attacks. He said at the dinner that the fight was against terrorism, not Islam.
Mr Trump has been strongly criticised for his proposal in December 2015 to ban Muslims from entering the US and also for his executive order as President to temporarily ban all immigration and refugees from seven Muslim-majority countries. The order, later revised, was knocked down by federal courts.
- Up to 1000 More US Troops Could be Headed to Afghanistan This Spring The possible increases have the support of the Army’s senior leadership, which has been working to determine the mix of troops required to execute a strategy centered on a new combat formation.
- Shutdown in US Congress The federal agencies across the country will be unable to continue operating, and hundreds of thousands of "non-essential" federal workers faced with being put on temporary unpaid leave
- New Act against Iran in US Congress "Congress has four months to fix the flaws of the JCPOA to permanently block Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons capability," said Representative Roskam.
- US Will Maintain Military Presence in Syria after the Defeat of IS "We cannot make the same mistakes that were made in 2011," Tillerson said to an audience that included former Secretaries of State Condoleezza Rice and George Shultz, noting that the Islamic State and...
- US Congressman Called to Expand US-Artsakh Ties ANCA thanked Congressman Pallone for taking a legislative sledgehammer to the walls that have, for far too long, prevented the very type of open dialogue that is so very necessary for a durable and democratic...
US Warns the YPG to Cut Support If They Spot Fighting the ISIS
The RA President Arrived in Strasbourg
Germany to Halt Arms Exports to Turkey
President meets with members of French National Assembly and Senate Friendship Groups
Turkey Says Has "Neutralized" 260 Militants in Syria
Karen Karapetyan: Singapore's Development Path Is a Good Example for Armenia
Mkhitaryan Will Miss Today’s Match against Chelsea
OSCE Monitoring to Be Conducted on NKR-Azerbaijan Border
Qatar Supports Turkey’s Operation in Afrin
2 Dead, 19 Injured in US School Shooting
"Thank You, Armenian Soldier": Charitable Concert in Armenia
Armenian PM Meets with Major International Companies’ Leadership in Davos
Garo Paylan Nommed for Nobel Peace Prize
PACE Monitoring Committee Appointed a New Co-Rapporteur on Armenia
Macron Received the RA President at the Elysee Palace
Kurds and Turks Clash in Germany
Emil Jamil Lahoud: Armenian President of Lebanon
French Foreign Minister Calls on Turkey for Greatest Level of Restraint
Bako Sahakyan Partook at the Meeting of the Defense Army's Military Council
From Time to Time Precipitation is Predicted
Armenian Repatriate from Canada: In Artsakh People Live Happier than in Other Civilized Countries
Artsakh MFA: Call of the Azerbaijani FM to the French Government to Impede the Visits of the Citizens of Artsakh Is Unlawful
In Turkey Woman Who Recognizes Armenian Genocide is Elected the Head of Main Opposition Party Istanbul Chapter
2017 - Second Warmest since 1880 (VIDEO)
Armenian Civil Society Receives €1.74 million for New Activities from the EU
New Act against Iran in US Congress
Syria Threatens to "Destroy" Any Turkish Warplanes Flying into Its Territory
Statement of Artsakh National Assembly on 28th Anniversary of the Mass Pogroms of the Armenians in Baku
The World's Most Creative Christmas Trees Ever
Shastri Ramachandaran: Any Conflict Between China and US Would Destabilize the Global Economy (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 6.44 km/h