Raqqa Campaign in Final Stages, SDF Says
The U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) said on Wednesday its campaign to capture Raqqa from Islamic State (IS) was in its final stages and its fighters had seized 80 percent of the city, Reuters reports.
In a statement, the SDF said it had opened a new front against IS on the northern edge of Raqqa, describing this as “a feature of the final stages of the Euphrates Wrath campaign, which is nearing its end”.
The SDF, an alliance of Kurdish and Arab militias, launched their offensive on Islamic State in Raqqa city in June, backed by U.S.-led air strikes and special forces on the ground. The city had served as Islamic State’s de facto capital in Syria.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Wednesday that the SDF had taken more than 90 percent of the city, adding that the major remaining hurdle for the forces was a large concentration of mines in the area.
- Isis Use of Hobby Drones as Weapons Tests Chinese Makers The first X-8 in a conflict zone was spotted in 2015 by Kurdish forces near the Mosul Dam in Iraq, while in October 2016 a bomb-laden X-8 killed two Kurdish soldiers and injured two French commandos in...
- Iraq Declares War With Islamic State Is Over Iraq's announcement comes two days after the Russian military declared it had accomplished its mission of defeating IS in neighbouring Syria.
- GOP Chairman Warns of ISIS's ‘Cyber Caliphate’ “It is good that we by and large have taken away the physical caliphate,” Johnson, the chair of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, said during remarks at a hearing on...
- Syria Fully Liberated from ISIS Terrorists: Russian MoD “Therefore, as of today, there’s no territory controlled by ISIS in Syria,” he added. Gerasimov made the announcement during an annual briefing for foreign military attachés.
- In the Last Five Years Terrorism Left 200,000 People Dead According to the Islamic Military Counter Terrorism Coalition, the number of people killed or injured came in attacks that caused $348 billion worth of damage to the economy.
Israel Will Not Be Lectured to By a Leader Who Bombs His Own People: Netanyahu to Erdogan
Isis Use of Hobby Drones as Weapons Tests Chinese Makers
Egypt’s President Invites Palestinian President to Cairo to Discuss Trump's Jerusalem Move
The Syrian Army and Iranian-Backed Militias Started a Military Campaign Against Rebels in Hama Province
Macron to Netanyahu: US Recognition of Jerusalem Is a Threat to Peace
BrExit: Second Round
Pope Prays for Nuclear Disarmament
UK Aims for Trade Deal with EU that Tops Canada Pact
Saakashvili Supporters Demand Ukraine's Leader Be Impeached
Archaeologists Uncover 3500-Year-Old Tomb at Egypt's Luxor (photo)
Lebanon Urges to Sanction US Over Jerusalem Decision
Hamshen Armenian Activists Released From Turkish Prison
There are Impassable Roads in Armenia
Called the Total Sum of All Corruption in the World
Iraq Declares War With Islamic State Is Over
Eurovision- 2017 winner Salvador Sobral Has Heart Transplant
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights Turns 70
Arab States Urge U.S. to Abandon Jerusalem Move
Artsakh Foreign Minister Received Chairman of the Standing Committee on Foreign Relations of the National Assembly of Armenia
Artsakh Republic President Met with Members of the Armenian National Assembly Standing Committee on Foreign Relations
Armenian Patriarch and 12 other Heads of Churches in Jerusalem Wrote a Letter to President Trump
Russians Should Be Driven out Like Dogs, Armenians Must Be Massacred: Azerbaijani "Scientist''
Tigran Mansurian’s "Requiem" Nominated for Grammy Award
Putin Pushed Erdogan’s Chair to the Ground (VIDEO)
It Is Natural to Be in Artsakh and Struggle along with the People of Artsakh: Today Hero Monte Melkonyan Turns 60
Armenia Pays Tribute to the Memory of the Victims of 1988 Spitak Earthquake
TV Channel Discovery Has Shot 6 Videos about Armenia
Statement by the "European Integration" NGO on Signing the Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement with the EU
NKR Defense Army Servicemen Gegham Zaqaryan, Sargis Abrahamyan, Sargis Meliqyan, Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Lebanese-Armenian Independent Researcher: The Crisis in Lebanon Is Not Over (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 6.44 km/h