Knyaz Hasanov: Iraqi Kurdistan Leadership Should Sit Down for Dialogue with the Iraqi Authorities
"Armedia" IAA presents an exclusive interview with Knyaz Hasanov, a member of the RA Parliament and Chairman of the Kurdish National Council in Armenia" NGO, on the Iraqi Kurdistan independence referendum held on September 25.
- Mr. Hasanov, the majority of the participants of the Iraqi Kurdistan independence referendum voted in favor of it. According to you, what will Erbil’s next step be?
- Yes, 93% of the referendum participants voted for independence. This was a fantastic thing for the whole world. According to the plans, the next step will be the declaration of independence. Nevertheless, we see how the neighboring countries react to all this. Turkey even declared that it will enter troops. Iran and Syria also expressed against the independence of the Iraqi Kurdistan. As for the US and Russia, they say that they support the territorial integrity of Iraq.
I think that the leadership of the Iraqi Kurdistan should sit down for dialogue with the Iraqi authorities, despite the fact that the official Baghdad still refuses it, saying that the Iraqi Kurdistan should remain in Iraq under the former status.
- How do you asses the possibility of military clashes?
- Turkey declared about a possible military intervention, while Erbil answered that will wait for them and "will return them very well", which means that Kurds are not afraid of resistance. Iraqi authorities in their turn threaten with war, noting that they will enter Kirkuk. Nevertheless, it is still unclear in what direction the developments will go.
It is not possible to declare independence in one day. It can take months, even a year. We hope that in any case the Iraqi Kurdistan will be declared independent and the Kurds will have an independent state.
- What do you think, will there be any changes in the agenda of the Kurdish community in Armenia and the official Erbil after the referendum?
- The Kurdish community in Armenia maintains its official relations with Erbil, periodically various meetings take place. Nevertheless, I do not think that after the referendum any significant changes will take place in the agenda with Erbil.
Ethiopia: One dead and Dozens Hurt in Grenade Attack at Pro-PM Rally
Erdogan Faces Test in Critical Elections: DW
OSCE Is Eager to Step Up its Links with Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan: Permanent Representatives Return from Fruitful Trip
Bako Sahakyan Visited the Town of Karvachar
Serzh Sargsyan Sent a Congratulatory Message to Armen Sarkissian on Birthday Anniversary
The first soldier to be awarded the Victoria Cross (VC) by Queen Elizabeth II, has died aged 90
US and South Korea suspend more joint military exercises
Commemoration of Sts. Tiridates, King of Armenia, Queen Ashkhen and Princess Khosrovidoukht
Azerbaijan, in Fact, Refuses Any Negotiation, Threatening by War
Appointment of The Ambassador is Very Important for Armenia-Ukraine Relations: Head of the Armenia-Ukraine Friendship Group
EU Tariffs on US Products Come into Effect
Trump Extends Sanctions Against North Korea for Another Year
EU Լeaders to Prolong Sanctions against Russia
Armenia assumes PABSEC presidency
Nikol Pashinyan Congratulates Mamuka Bakhtadze on His Election as Prime Minister of Georgia
Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Has His First Meeting with Azerbaijani FM
Donald Trump "Threw Starbursts at Angela Merkel" During G7 Summit
Nikol Pashinyan Receives Armenia Air Company President Tamaz Gayashvili
Nikol Pashinyan: "A Historical Process of Reconciliation Between Law-Enforcement Authorities and Society is Taking Place in Armenia"
Joint Press Statement Following the First Partnership Council Meeting between the European Union and Armenia
Nikol Pashinyan to Resign During a Year
Prime Minister Pashinyan Attends Gala Concert Dedicated to World Foot Championship in Red Square (PHOTOS)
It’s Already Two Months Azerbaijan Has Accumulated Troops in Different Parts of the Contact Line, Davit Babayan
Alexander Lapshin Claims Azerbaijan Might Be Behind the Death of Anthony Bourdain for Artsakh Episode
Newlywed Foreigners Apply for Artsakh Visa with Bride Wearing a Wedding Dress
Supporters of the Armenian Genocide in Turkey Received Documentary Evidence from the Prosecutor's Office of Istanbul
The Issue of Recognition of the Armenian Genocide is a Tool in Turkish-Israeli Relations: Armen Petrosyan
Nikol Pashinyan Visits Prelacy of Holy Transformation Church of Russia and New Nakhichevan Diocese (PHOTOS)
''Armenian-Russian Relations are Developing Steadily and Dynamically'' - Nikol Pashinyan Meets with Dmitry Medvedev
Nikol Pashinyan Attends in Tbilisi the Reception Dedicated to 100th Anniversary of First Armenian Republic
Wind: 6.44 km/h