Knyaz Hasanov: Iraqi Kurdistan Leadership Should Sit Down for Dialogue with the Iraqi Authorities
"Armedia" IAA presents an exclusive interview with Knyaz Hasanov, a member of the RA Parliament and Chairman of the Kurdish National Council in Armenia" NGO, on the Iraqi Kurdistan independence referendum held on September 25.
- Mr. Hasanov, the majority of the participants of the Iraqi Kurdistan independence referendum voted in favor of it. According to you, what will Erbil’s next step be?
- Yes, 93% of the referendum participants voted for independence. This was a fantastic thing for the whole world. According to the plans, the next step will be the declaration of independence. Nevertheless, we see how the neighboring countries react to all this. Turkey even declared that it will enter troops. Iran and Syria also expressed against the independence of the Iraqi Kurdistan. As for the US and Russia, they say that they support the territorial integrity of Iraq.
I think that the leadership of the Iraqi Kurdistan should sit down for dialogue with the Iraqi authorities, despite the fact that the official Baghdad still refuses it, saying that the Iraqi Kurdistan should remain in Iraq under the former status.
- How do you asses the possibility of military clashes?
- Turkey declared about a possible military intervention, while Erbil answered that will wait for them and "will return them very well", which means that Kurds are not afraid of resistance. Iraqi authorities in their turn threaten with war, noting that they will enter Kirkuk. Nevertheless, it is still unclear in what direction the developments will go.
It is not possible to declare independence in one day. It can take months, even a year. We hope that in any case the Iraqi Kurdistan will be declared independent and the Kurds will have an independent state.
- What do you think, will there be any changes in the agenda of the Kurdish community in Armenia and the official Erbil after the referendum?
- The Kurdish community in Armenia maintains its official relations with Erbil, periodically various meetings take place. Nevertheless, I do not think that after the referendum any significant changes will take place in the agenda with Erbil.
February 20: the Birth of Artsakh Movement
Armenia MFA: Absence of Adequate Reaction to Azerbaijan President’s Statement has Encouraged his Defense Minister
Turkey Orders Detention of 170 Soldiers for Links to Coup Plotters
UN Concerned over Possible Confrontation between Israel and Hezbollah
Bako Sahakyan Sends Cogratulatory Message on Artsakh Revival Day
Putin and Erdogan to Meet in April
Explosion at Yerevan Building.14 People Evacuated
Merkel: Brexit is a challenge for EU budget
President of Artsakh: Artsakh Revival Day Obliges Us Be Stronger
President Attends Bookinist Bookstore on the Occasion of Book Giving Day
Armenia Is Breeding a Generation of Chess Whizz Kids
Annual Press Conference of the Foreign Minister of Artsakh
School of Advanced Chinese-Language Teaching to Function in Armenia
Armenia Will Be Presented at the Forklife Festival in USA
Snowman Festival in Jermuk Town of Armenia
President of Lebanon to Arrive in Armenia February 21
Precipitation Is Predicted in Armenia
Yerevan to Host TRACECA Intergovernmental Commission Meeting
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
Istanbul: Armenian Track & Field Athlete Wins Gold at Balkan Championship
Russian Figure Skater of Armenian Origin Sets a World Record
When Erdogan Saw Pope's Chair He Demanded the Same for Himself (PHOTO)
The Day of the Formation of the Armenian Army: Congratulations, Armenian Soldier!
Emil Jamil Lahoud: Armenian President of Lebanon
Armenian President Schools Azeri Diplomat on History at Munich Security Conference
The Election of PACE New President Will Create Favorable Environment for Our Delegation's Work: Naira Karapetyan (EXCLUSIVE)
Terrorism Is Not the First Challenge the US Faces Any Longer (Comparative Alalysis of US Military Strategies)
The Spiritual Leader of the Armenian Armed Forces: The Aspiration to Keep the Army Awake, in Prayer and in Blessing, Make the Armenian Clergyman Be in the Armed Forces
Football Tournament in Memory of Hrant Dink Was Held in Turkey
We Will Continue to Implement our Reform Agenda: Armenian Prime Minister's Interview with Euronews (Video)
Wind: 11.27 km/h