The Clash of Turkish and US Interests in Syria
The Pentagon spokesman, Robert Mening, said the US Defense Ministry continues to supply weapons to Syrian Kurdish militants who are fighting the militants of the Islamic State terrorist group. "We have made it clear to Turkey from the beginning that the supply of weapons to the Kurdish detachments will be limited" he said. According to Mening, the Pentagon simply monitors the possibility of changing the priorities of military assistance to the Kurds.
Last week, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu stated that in a telephone conversation with Turkish President, US President Donald Trump promised to completely stop the supply of weapons to Syrian Kurds. Washington denied Çavuşoğlu 's statement mentioning that the issue had been discussed but Trump did not make such a promise.
There are quite other goals concerning the Kurds in the United States. During the six years of the Syrian conflict, the American main ally have been Syrian Kurds who, according to the Syrian Civil War Map, control 27 percent of the country's territory. In the current military and political conditions and in the context of American interests in the region, they do not have a realistic alternative to cooperation with the Kurds, so it is hardly possible to stop the cooperation with Kurds now in order to satisfy Ankara.
The Pentagon has already voiced its readiness to increase military presence in Syria. According to newly published data, there are 1720 American soldiers in Syria, which is three times more than the number of previously reported American military men in Syria. It should be noted that American soldiers are mainly located in the territories controlled by Kurds. According to American official sources, Washington plans to create a new governing body in Kurdish-populated areas.
However, the American vision of the Syrian conflict is the most unacceptable option for Turkey and Ankara will try to prevent such developments. Turkish Defense Minister Nuretin Janikli has already announced the possibility of launching an operation in Syria's Kurdish region of Afri. Thus, serious intensification of the Turkish-American confrontation is expected in Syria, which will have a negative impact on the inter-regional dialogue launched in Geneva today. The main precondition for progress in the political settlement of the Syrian conflict is the consensus on Assad's fate in the future of Syria. However, the agreement on this issue in Ankara and Washington is indirectly linked to the Kurdish issue.
- US State Department: It Is Up to the Syrian People to Decide the Future of Assad "We remain committed to the Geneva process. We believe that the future of Syria will not include Bashar al-Assad, but that is ultimately up to the Syrian people and the Syrian voters to decide," Nauert...
- Why Is Russia Withdrawing Its Troops from Syria and What Consequences It Will Have? At the same time, Sergei Surovikin, commander of the Russian military unit in Syria, told Putin that the remaining troops in Syria are capable of performing the same tasks effectively. Experts also point...
- Russia Withdraws Its Military Forces from Syria "The task of fighting armed bandits here in Syria, a task that it was essential to solve with the help of extensive use of armed force, has for the most part, been solved and solved spectacularly," Putin...
- Ethnic Armenian MP of Syria, Baroness Caroline Cox of UK Discuss Community Situation The ethnic Armenian MP presented to the UK parliamentarians that many churches and schools have been destroyed during the war, and restoration works are underway.
- Will the US Suspend Military Assistance to the Syrian Kurds? So, if in reality, the US is not going to suspend the military assistance to the Kurds, what is the disseminated news conditioned by?
Egypt Opens Gaza Border for Four Days
MFA Of Armenia: Ankara Is Not Ready To Normalize The Armenian-Turkish Relations
Rex Tillerson: North Korea Must Earn Right to Talks
China and UK to Strengthen Economic and Financial Cooperation
Weather Forecast in Armenia : Precipitation is Predicted
Trump Said The Worst People Come To U.S. By Visa Lottery
Trump Says He Would like to Have Russia’s Help with North Korea
Former Policeman Arrested within Case of Russian Ambassador’s Assassination in Turkey
Manchester United is Planning to Sell Mkhitaryan to make space for Mesut Ozil
Syria Accuses Saudi Arabia and the UN for the Failure of Negotiations
EU Leaders Fail on Migration
Donald Trump Thanks Vladimir Putin after his Press-Conference
French School Bus Cut in Two in Rail Crash
Serzh Sargsyan on Karabakh Conflict: It Is Not Possible to Negotiate with One Hand and to Fire with Another
The Next Phase of Brexit Negotiations to Start Soon
UN Warns against 'Sleepwalking' into War over North Korea
Turkey to Open Embassy in East Jerusalem
Turkey’s 37th: How Erdogan Started ''Cleansing'' of His Own Party
Armenian Government Allocated 31.9 Million Drams for Establishing Scientific Research Institute of Chess
Walt Disney Buys Murdoch's Fox for $52.4bn
Armenian Patriarch and 12 other Heads of Churches in Jerusalem Wrote a Letter to President Trump
Russians Should Be Driven out Like Dogs, Armenians Must Be Massacred: Azerbaijani "Scientist''
Tigran Mansurian’s "Requiem" Nominated for Grammy Award
Putin Pushed Erdogan’s Chair to the Ground (VIDEO)
It Is Natural to Be in Artsakh and Struggle along with the People of Artsakh: Today Hero Monte Melkonyan Turns 60
Armenia Pays Tribute to the Memory of the Victims of 1988 Spitak Earthquake
TV Channel Discovery Has Shot 6 Videos about Armenia
Statement by the "European Integration" NGO on Signing the Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement with the EU
NKR Defense Army Servicemen Gegham Zaqaryan, Sargis Abrahamyan, Sargis Meliqyan, Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Lebanese-Armenian Independent Researcher: The Crisis in Lebanon Is Not Over (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 6.44 km/h