GOP Chairman Warns of ISIS's ‘Cyber Caliphate’
Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) joined a number of lawmakers on Wednesday raising alarm over the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria's (ISIS) success in leveraging digital platforms to recruit and spread terrorist propaganda, The Hill reports.
“It is good that we by and large have taken away the physical caliphate,” Johnson, the chair of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, said during remarks at a hearing on evolving terror threats, “But we have in no way, shape or form denied them the cyber caliphate. That may be a more persistent, long-term threat.”
The U.S.-led coalition battling ISIS has made notable gains in recent months, liberating large swaths of territory in Iraq and Syria from the group’s fighters.
Still, lawmakers and officials remain focused on the group’s efforts to recruit would-be fighters and spread terrorist messaging using social media and other digital platforms, in addition to inspiring future attacks.
- Isis Use of Hobby Drones as Weapons Tests Chinese Makers The first X-8 in a conflict zone was spotted in 2015 by Kurdish forces near the Mosul Dam in Iraq, while in October 2016 a bomb-laden X-8 killed two Kurdish soldiers and injured two French commandos in...
- Iraq Declares War With Islamic State Is Over Iraq's announcement comes two days after the Russian military declared it had accomplished its mission of defeating IS in neighbouring Syria.
- Syria Fully Liberated from ISIS Terrorists: Russian MoD “Therefore, as of today, there’s no territory controlled by ISIS in Syria,” he added. Gerasimov made the announcement during an annual briefing for foreign military attachés.
- In the Last Five Years Terrorism Left 200,000 People Dead According to the Islamic Military Counter Terrorism Coalition, the number of people killed or injured came in attacks that caused $348 billion worth of damage to the economy.
- Iraq Forces Launch Operation to Liberate Last ISIS Stronghold Prime Minister of Iraq Haider al-Abadi called the cities of Al Qaim and Rawa the last strongholds of terrorists.
Artsakh Republic President Attended Exhibition Devoted to the Life of Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia Garegin I Hovsepyan
Turkish University Administration Has Removed the Flag of Azerbaijan Demanding to Bring Back the Armenian Tricolor
Trump Hopes to Normalize Relations with Cuba
Edward Nalbandian: We Value NATO's Support to the Efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
The Greece Police Prevented Erdogan's Assassination
Weather Forecast in Armenia
Trump Administration to Drop Climate Change from a List of Global Threats in a New NSS
Sahakyan Attended an Exhibition Devoted to the Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia Garegin I Hovsepyan
Turkey Has Released German Journalist
Mkhitaryan Gives Inter Green Light
Deputy Secretary General of NATO Hopes to See a New Momentum in Resolving the Karabakh Conflict
Turkish ''Besiktas'' Is Interested in Henrikh Mkhitaryan
Iran to Increase Gas Supply to Armenia
Russian Presidential Campaign Officially Launched
The UN Security Council to Vote for a Resolution on Jerusalem
Putin Thanked Trump
Saudi Women Will Aso be Allowed to Drive Trucks, Ride Motorcycles
Joint Consultation Chaired by Artsakh President and Armenian Prime Minister
Russia Chose the Name for the Bridge in the Crimea
Armenian Don Boyajian to Become US Congressman
Armenian Patriarch and 12 other Heads of Churches in Jerusalem Wrote a Letter to President Trump
Russians Should Be Driven out Like Dogs, Armenians Must Be Massacred: Azerbaijani "Scientist''
Tigran Mansurian’s "Requiem" Nominated for Grammy Award
Putin Pushed Erdogan’s Chair to the Ground (VIDEO)
It Is Natural to Be in Artsakh and Struggle along with the People of Artsakh: Today Hero Monte Melkonyan Turns 60
Armenia Pays Tribute to the Memory of the Victims of 1988 Spitak Earthquake
TV Channel Discovery Has Shot 6 Videos about Armenia
Statement by the "European Integration" NGO on Signing the Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement with the EU
NKR Defense Army Servicemen Gegham Zaqaryan, Sargis Abrahamyan, Sargis Meliqyan, Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Lebanese-Armenian Independent Researcher: The Crisis in Lebanon Is Not Over (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 6.44 km/h