Gevorg Nalbandian: an Armenian who Wrote an Anthem for an African Country
There are countries in the world, where there are not so many Armenians, and thus the "Armenian trace", at the same time, but often the contribution of Armenians to the development and prosperity of this or that country is quite obvious. One of such countries is Ethiopia, with which Armenia has longstanding historical and spiritual ties.
The small Armenian diaspora in this exotic ancient country has always occupied an important place in all areas of state and cultural life, Dlmn.info notes.
At times, the number of the Ethiopian Armenian community reached a couple of thousand people, today there are hardly a hundred Armenians in Addis-Ababa. But the amazing thing is that you can tell a lot about such a small diaspora. The variety of activities for which the Ethiopian Armenians became famous is simply amazing. One of the most interesting facts is that the anthem of Ethiopia was created by Armenian Gevorg Nalbandian.
Gevorg Nalbandian was born in Antheb. He received his primary education at a local school. He taught music in the schools of Zeitoun and Kilis. He played the canon, violin, wind instruments, sang and wrote music.
In Constantinople, Nalbandian studied the theory of Armenian music by Komitas. Returning to Kilis, he organized a brass band, teaching students the harmony of instruments that sounded together. In 1919 he moved to Aleppo and continued his pedagogical activity. He was awarded the honorary order of the French government "Crown of the Academy."
Moving to Jerusalem in 1924, Gevorg created a brass band from pupils of the orphanage of the Armenian Patriarchate. In the same year, the future Emperor of Ethiopia, Haile Selassie I, visited Jerusalem and, attending the church feast in the Armenian Patriarchate, listened admiringly to the performances of Armenian orphans. After the festivities, he asked the patriarch to give the orchestra to him, promising to take care of them in a fatherly way. The patriarch could not refuse, and the regent and heir to the throne, by adopting 40 young musicians, took them with him to Addis-Ababa. Here, under the leadership of Nalbandian, they organized an imperial orchestra. Haile Selassie really gave everyone education, housing, provided with work, Sobesednikarmenii.ru writes.
And the top of Gevorg Nalbandian's work was writing the national anthem of Ethiopia, written by the request of the monarch, which was performed until 1992.
The much respected and talented composer Gevorg Nalbandian died in Ethiopia in 1963.
- When I Sit Around a Table with Other Armenians, Bread and Wine Taste Differently: The Armenian Speechwriter of 3 US Presidents Aram Bakhshyan was born in Washington, DC (USA), in 1944. His life is a vivid example of career rise and realization of personality: he was a freelance journalist, journal editor, art critic, teacher at...
- James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma James Bagyan was born in 1952 in Philadelphia. His parents moved to the USA from Trabzon. According to James himself, his grandfather, Nazareth Kundebagyan, emigrated from Arabkir to America in 1913.
- Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin Vazgen Oganesov performed his last combat sortie during the battles for Berlin. On the eve of the Victory it was necessary to prevent the aircraft of Hitler's Reich from German besiegers headed by Hitler...
- The World Famous Armenian Soldiers: Avakyants, Shekerdzhyan, Derunyan ''Armedia'' IAA is presentd a series of articles on the life and professional activities of high-ranking Armenian military servicemen who served in the armed forces of other countries.
- World Famous Armenian Soldiers: Karamanukyan, Lahoud and Kuyumjyan ''Armedia'' IAA is launching a series of publications on the life and professional activities of high-ranking Armenian military servicemen who served in the armed forces of other countries. Thus we present...
Bako Sahakyan visited the town of Karvachar
Serzh Sargsyan Sent a Congratulatory Message to Armen Sarkissian on Birthday Anniversary
The first soldier to be awarded the Victoria Cross (VC) by Queen Elizabeth II, has died aged 90
US and South Korea suspend more joint military exercises
Commemoration of Sts. Tiridates, King of Armenia, Queen Ashkhen and Princess Khosrovidoukht
Azerbaijan, in Fact, Refuses Any Negotiation, Threatening by War
Appointment of The Ambassador is Very Important for Armenia-Ukraine Relations: Head of the Armenia-Ukraine Friendship Group
EU Tariffs on US Products Come into Effect
Trump Extends Sanctions Against North Korea for Another Year
EU Լeaders to Prolong Sanctions against Russia
Armenia assumes PABSEC presidency
Nikol Pashinyan Congratulates Mamuka Bakhtadze on His Election as Prime Minister of Georgia
Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Has His First Meeting with Azerbaijani FM
Donald Trump "Threw Starbursts at Angela Merkel" During G7 Summit
Nikol Pashinyan Receives Armenia Air Company President Tamaz Gayashvili
Nikol Pashinyan: "A Historical Process of Reconciliation Between Law-Enforcement Authorities and Society is Taking Place in Armenia"
Joint Press Statement Following the First Partnership Council Meeting between the European Union and Armenia
Oil Prices Drop as Iran Signals Support for Opec Output Rise
Trump Plans July Meeting With Vladimir Putin
North Korea Returns Remains of 200 US War Dead
Nikol Pashinyan to Resign During a Year
Prime Minister Pashinyan Attends Gala Concert Dedicated to World Foot Championship in Red Square (PHOTOS)
It’s Already Two Months Azerbaijan Has Accumulated Troops in Different Parts of the Contact Line, Davit Babayan
Alexander Lapshin Claims Azerbaijan Might Be Behind the Death of Anthony Bourdain for Artsakh Episode
Newlywed Foreigners Apply for Artsakh Visa with Bride Wearing a Wedding Dress
Supporters of the Armenian Genocide in Turkey Received Documentary Evidence from the Prosecutor's Office of Istanbul
The Issue of Recognition of the Armenian Genocide is a Tool in Turkish-Israeli Relations: Armen Petrosyan
Nikol Pashinyan Visits Prelacy of Holy Transformation Church of Russia and New Nakhichevan Diocese (PHOTOS)
Nikol Pashinyan Attends in Tbilisi the Reception Dedicated to 100th Anniversary of First Armenian Republic
''Armenian-Russian Relations are Developing Steadily and Dynamically'' - Nikol Pashinyan Meets with Dmitry Medvedev
Wind: 17.70 km/h