Munich Security Conference: What are 10 Most Significant Risks in 2018?
The 54th international conference on security issues in Munich was attended by over 600 leading politicians and experts. As the head of the forum Wolfgang Ischinger noted, the world has come too close to the brink, after which serious armed conflicts begin. The course on the confrontation between Russia and the US has reached, in his opinion, to a threatening level.
Wolfgang Ischinger, the chairman of the Munich conference, is quite upset: "The Munich conference on security has come to an end, but the problems raised on it have not been resolved," he said.
The German diplomat drew attention to the fact that everyone in the world wants to end the arms race. However, according to him, at the conference, it was not clear enough what the concrete steps of the policy should be made in order to implement these plans and to "divert the dark future".
According to MSC, the experts of the analytical center ''Eurasia Group'' prepared a list of the ten most significant risks in 2018.
1. The probability of a trade war between the United States and China increases against the background of the political crisis in Washington and the development of China's trade and investment expansion.
2. The probability of incorrect actions, random errors, because of which one of the existing crises: Syria, Ukraine, the North Korean nuclear program, can develop into a full-fledged war.
3. The rivalry of world powers in the sphere of high technologies will soon harm globalization, world trade and security.
4. The abolition of a trade agreement between the United States, Canada and Mexico (NAFTA) may lead to an economic crisis and political instability in Mexico on the eve of the presidential election (scheduled for July).
5. Possible withdrawal of the US from a nuclear deal with Iran. New American sanctions will trigger unpredictable retaliatory measures on the part of Tehran.
6. Further erosion of trust in public institutions - from the media and banks to parties and governments - will result in a reduction in the predictability of world political and economic processes.
7. Eurasia Group also warns about "protectionism 2.0" - the likelihood of interstate barriers in the field of digital economy and innovation.
8. Delaying negotiations on Brexit. An endless discussion of the details of Britain's withdrawal from the EU is fraught with a political crisis in the country itself and the resignation of the government.
9. Probable prospects for the growth of nationalism in the countries of South-East Asia, which will lead to ethnic conflicts.
10. Destabilization throughout Africa due to the weakening of local authorities and the strengthening of Islamic radicals.
Despite the above mentioned risks, Ischinger proposed to continue the work and invited all the participants to meet again in 2019.
At the invitation of the chairman of the Munich Security Conference, Ambassador Wolfgang Ischinger, Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan also participated in the Munich Conference. In his speech, he touched upon Armenia's current foreign policy’s geopolitical conditions, effective cooperation of Armenia with the EAEU and the EU in the framework of integration processes, regional problems and challenges in the security aspect, the negotiation process on the settlement of the Karabakh conflict with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs and the destructive policy of the leadership of Azerbaijan. The President also spoke about the commitments undertaken within the framework of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, stressing that the aim of the Helsinki process, which dates back to the 1970s, was the strengthening of security and cooperation in Europe, ensuring the solidarity of peoples, which, according to President Sargsyan, is still relevant today.
The first soldier to be awarded the Victoria Cross (VC) by Queen Elizabeth II, has died aged 90
US and South Korea suspend more joint military exercises
Commemoration of Sts. Tiridates, King of Armenia, Queen Ashkhen and Princess Khosrovidoukht
Azerbaijan, in Fact, Refuses Any Negotiation, Threatening by War
Appointment of The Ambassador is Very Important for Armenia-Ukraine Relations: Head of the Armenia-Ukraine Friendship Group
EU Tariffs on US Products Come into Effect
Trump Extends Sanctions Against North Korea for Another Year
EU Լeaders to Prolong Sanctions against Russia
Armenia assumes PABSEC presidency
Nikol Pashinyan Congratulates Mamuka Bakhtadze on His Election as Prime Minister of Georgia
Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Has His First Meeting with Azerbaijani FM
Donald Trump "Threw Starbursts at Angela Merkel" During G7 Summit
Nikol Pashinyan Receives Armenia Air Company President Tamaz Gayashvili
Nikol Pashinyan: "A Historical Process of Reconciliation Between Law-Enforcement Authorities and Society is Taking Place in Armenia"
Joint Press Statement Following the First Partnership Council Meeting between the European Union and Armenia
Oil Prices Drop as Iran Signals Support for Opec Output Rise
Trump Plans July Meeting With Vladimir Putin
North Korea Returns Remains of 200 US War Dead
Feast of the Holy Translators St. Sahak and St. Mesrop
Historic Agreement between Greece and Macedonia: Will Their Societies Support It?
Nikol Pashinyan to Resign During a Year
Prime Minister Pashinyan Attends Gala Concert Dedicated to World Foot Championship in Red Square (PHOTOS)
It’s Already Two Months Azerbaijan Has Accumulated Troops in Different Parts of the Contact Line, Davit Babayan
Alexander Lapshin Claims Azerbaijan Might Be Behind the Death of Anthony Bourdain for Artsakh Episode
Newlywed Foreigners Apply for Artsakh Visa with Bride Wearing a Wedding Dress
Supporters of the Armenian Genocide in Turkey Received Documentary Evidence from the Prosecutor's Office of Istanbul
The Issue of Recognition of the Armenian Genocide is a Tool in Turkish-Israeli Relations: Armen Petrosyan
Nikol Pashinyan Visits Prelacy of Holy Transformation Church of Russia and New Nakhichevan Diocese (PHOTOS)
Nikol Pashinyan Attends in Tbilisi the Reception Dedicated to 100th Anniversary of First Armenian Republic
Israel Defense Minister Cancels Azerbaijan Visit
Wind: 11.27 km/h