ANCA Backs Targeted $70 Million 'Peace and Prosperity' Aid Package for Artsakh and Armenia
In testimony submitted today to the Senate panel drafting the Fiscal Year 2019 foreign aid bill, the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA) called for a targeted $70 million aid package that would fund de-mining and rehabilitation in Artsakh, implementation of the Royce-Engel proposal to deploy gunfire locators along the line-of-contact, the expansion of U.S-Armenia economic and military partnerships, and support for Armenia as a regional safe haven for at-risk Middle East refugees, Armenianweekly.com reports.
ANCA Government Affairs Director Raffi Karakashian opened his testimony to the Senate’s Appropriations Subcommittee on State-Foreign Operations by marking the 100th anniversary of the first Armenian Republic, inviting the panel to join with him in celebrating a century of U.S.-Armenia relations. He then turned to the ANCA’s top-line priorities:
Artsakh: $6 million to complete de-mining and rehabilitate the disabled, $4 million to promote peace
Armenia: $30 million in economic aid, $10 million in military aid, $20 million for Middle East refugees
Azerbaijan: Suspend U.S. military aid and strengthen Section 907 of the FREEDOM Support Act
In each of these areas, Karakashian shared with appropriators how the ANCA’s proposals advance U.S. interests and suggested concise, draft legislative language for their consideration. He closed his testimony by reaffirming the ANCA’s commitment to Armenia’s aid-to-trade transition, asking Members of the Subcommittee to encourage the Trump Administration to make full use of the U.S.-Armenia Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA) and Economic Task Force, and, most urgently, to move forward with the long-overdue negotiation of a modern U.S. Armenia Double Tax Treaty.
- White House Explains Why Trump Didn’t Congratulate Putin on Election Deputy press secretary Hogan Gidley told reporters that the Trump administration will work to cultivate the relationship they have with Russia.
- Mike Pompeo: the Most Conservative US State Secretary? In this context it is interesting that his most favorite book is Ayn Rand’s novel Atlas Shrugged, which depicts "a dystopian United States in which private businesses suffer under increasingly burdensome...
- NKR President Met With the Representatives of Ramkavar Azatakan Party in Washington The meetings addressed diverse issues related to the Artsakh domestic and foreign policy, the Artsakh-Diaspora cooperation, developing and deepening the USA-Artsakh ties.
- Artsakh President Was Awarded with "Mesrop Mashtots" Order Bako Sahakyan also recognized the important role of the U.S. Armenian organisations in international recognition of Artsakh and making our country recognizable worldwide.
- Washington: Bako Sahakyan Visited the Headquarters of ANCA President Sahakyan highlighted the ANCA's activity in solving various national issues conveying gratitude for constantly keeping the Artsakh-related issues in the spotlight of attention.
The US Calls on Turkey to End the State of Emergency
Abbas Accuses Hamas of Orchestrating the Explosion that Targeted the Convoy of Prime Minister
Turkish Scholar: There Has Never Been a Turkish Race; it’s a Synthesis
March 20 is Celebrated as International Day of Happiness
Prime Minister of Armenia Received Ambassador of China and Vice President of Powerchina International Group Limited
The Delegation of Francophonie Visits Armenian Genocide Memorial
Life Is a Celebration, but Vaastu Shastra Makes It More Harmonious (EXCLUSIVE)
RA MoD: The Life of the Wounded Soldier Is not in Danger
NKR Defense Army Shot Down an Azerbaijani Drone (Pics)
White House Explains Why Trump Didn’t Congratulate Putin on Election
EU to Keep Pressure on North Korea over its Nuclear Program
The New Structure of Eastern Partnership: What are The Main Priorities Today
50 Million Facebook Users Data Harvested for Trump Election Campaign
Dollar Continues to Decline in Armenia
OSCE: Russia's Presidential Election was Marred by Lack of Genuine Competition
NATO Will Move to New Headquarters
The Silence of the International Community on Aliyev's Statements May Lead to Irreversible Consequences
Second Artsakh Airfest Will Be Held on June 16
Diogo Pinto Resigns as Director of European Friends of Armenia
Delegation of Senate of Poland Pays Tribute in Tsitsernakaberd Memorial Complex
James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma
Why the Figure Skater Evgenia Medvedeva (Babasyan) Did Not Take Her Father's Name?
Azerbaijani Blogger: Armenians Did not Destroy Azerbaijani Graves in Karabakh
February 20: the Birth of Artsakh Movement
President Attends Bookinist Bookstore on the Occasion of Book Giving Day
Armenia Negotiates with Four Countries over Creation of Persian Gulf: Black Sea Transit Corridor
Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin
Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia: Armenia Plays a Positive Role in Improving Russian-Georgian Relations (EXCLUSIVE)
Lapshin Showed the Difference in the Education of Armenian and Azerbaijani Children (VIDEO)
Armenian Delegation Invited OSCE PA President to Visit Artsakh and Meet the Authorities There: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 17.70 km/h