Catalan New President Did Not Mention of Obeying the Spanish Constitution
Quim Torra has been sworn in as the 131st president of Catalonia amid growing pressure over the "xenophobic" and anti-Spanish tone of his past writings and comments, the Guardian reports.
Torra, a hardline Catalan nationalist handpicked by the region’s deposed president, Carles Puigdemont, was elected by 66 votes to 65 on Monday and assumed office at a low-key ceremony in Barcelona on Thursday.
"I promise to loyally fulfil the duties of the post of regional president being faithful to the will of the Catalan people represented by the Catalan parliament," he said, using the same formula as Puigdemont and avoiding mention of obeying the Spanish constitution. Central government representatives did not attend the ceremony.
- Puigdemont Refuses to be Catalonia's President In a video from his self-imposed exile in Berlin, Mr Puigdemont named Quim Torra to be a candidate for the presidency of the region.
- Clashes in Catalonia over Puigdemont's Arrest The situation in Barcelona escalated in the evening as protesters fought running battles with riot police. Local authorities reported dozens of injuries and many arrests.
- Puigdemont May Rule Catalonia by Skype The two options - which would either see Puigdemont attending the Parliament on a video call or a delegate reading the inauguration speech on his behalf - are currently being studied by lawyers.
- Snap Parliamentary Elections Kicked Off in Catalonia Voter turnout is expected to be high Thursday.
- Spain Has Proof against Russia on Catalonia "What we know today is that much of this came from Russian territory," Spanish Defence Minister Maria Dolores de Cospedal said of Russian-based internet support.
May 28: the Day of Armenian First Republic
Rain And Thunderstorm is Predicted
Trump: Meeting with North Korean Leader Still Scheduled to June 12
Elton John and Armen Sarkissian Visited Rehabilitation Center in Yerevan
Juncker: EU Supports Georgia's Territorial Integrity
Nikol Pashinyan Hails UWC Dilijan as "Symbol of Future of Armenia" (PHOTOS)
‘Days of Artsakh in France’ Underway in Bouc-Bel-Air
PM Introduces Newly Appointed Chief of General Staff
Pedro Agramunt Leaves PACE
Nikol Pashinyan: “The Process of Building a Free and Happy Armenia is Irreversible”
Armenian FM: The Settlement of Karabakh Conflict Should Express the Interests of the Armenian Sides
Memorandum of the Artsakh Republic Foreign Ministry Circulated in the UN
Artsakh’s International Recognition Continues
Turkey to Close the EU Ministry
Yerevan Mayor Congratulates School Children on Last Bell
"The Danube Will Change its Course Rather Than Pan-Turkism Will Achieve its Goal'', Sharmazanov
The Manipulation of the Issue of Armenian Genocide Recognition Is Not Acceptable
Moscow Declared "Adequate Measures" in Response to Georgia's Rapprochement with NATO
US Threats Do not Frighten Iran
Armenia is an Active Player in Iran-EAEU Free Economic Zone Creation
When I Sit Around a Table with Other Armenians, Bread and Wine Taste Differently: The Armenian Speechwriter of 3 US Presidents
Turkish Prime Minister to Nikol Pashinyan
The Works of Armenian Classics Are Translated into Hindi: Hindi Literary Scholar (EXCLUSIVE)
Players of ''Arsenal'' Sing Armenian Song (Video)
MFA: Armenia Has Initiated Moves to Strengthen Cooperation with Israel
Netanyahu’s Son: Turkey Is Guilty of Committing the Armenian Genocide
One of the New Prime Minister's Priorities Is to Effectively Assume Karabakh Conflict Negotiation Bloc
Nikol Pashinyan: Participation in the Snap Parliamentary Elections Will Depend on the Created Situation
MP Samvel Alexanyan to Vote in favor of Nikol Pashinyan
The Time Has Come to Officially Recognize the Armenian Genocide: Israeli Lawmakers to Submit a Bill to the Knesset
Wind: 6.44 km/h