Can Tehran Become the Next Target of Islamic State?
After terrorist attacks in France that killed at least 129 people Iranian Minister of Intelligence Mahmoud Alavi warns that the Islamic State can turn its sight on Iran.
At a November 15 security conference in Tehran, Alavi warned that one of the most dangerous threats to Iran comes from the same terrorist group that attacked Beirut and Paris, Al-Monitor reports. Noting that Iran has already taken all the necessary precautionary measures, the Iranian Minister said: "The recent bombings are a serious warning to us that needs the consideration of specialists".
Commanding officer of the Iranian army's ground forces also spoke about dangers of having IS on Iran's western and eastern borders. He said attacks on Diyala province in Iraq, on Iran’s eastern border, led to the decision that if IS forces reach within 25 miles to Iran’s borders its military will take necessary action. At the same time it was noted that Taliban and IS forces have joined together in northern Afghanistan to "invade Iran," but he added that IS forces are currently unable to do so.
Besides the attacks from outside it is not excluded that IS can attack Iran from within. Earlier Iraqi Foreign Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari had warned France, the United States and Iran that IS had plans to attack inside their countries.
It should be noted that Iran’s fears are related to the fact that Iran strongly supports the Syrian and Iraqi governments in the fight against the terrorists. Moreover, after the Syrian army started offensive attacks in September it became obvious that soldiers from the Iran Revolutionary Guard Corps participate in the Syrian government’s actions. This is serious reason to become the target of the Islamic State.
- Libyan National Army Claims It Possesses Evidence of Turkey Supporting Daesh Turkey is one of the countries supporting terrorism around the world.
- US Giving Daesh Safe Passage in East Syria under Gold Deal: Local Sources Information suggest that the US forces in the Syrian al-Jazeera area made a deal with Daesh terrorists, by which Washington gets tens of tons of gold that the terror organization had stolen in exchange...
- Trump Says 'Erdogan Can Eradicate' any IS Group Left in Syria US President Donald Trump said his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan assured him that any remaining of Islamic State group fighters in Syria will be eliminated.
- US Announces Death of ISIS Leader in Afghanistan “We must ensure terrorists can never use Afghanistan as a safe haven,” Miller told officials at the ceremony, according to Stars and Stripes.
- Pentagon Chief Urges Turkey to Stay Focused on Fighting Islamic State Relations between the United States and Turkey, allies within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, have become frayed by their diverging interests in the Syrian civil war.
Syria Says It Doesn't Want to Fight With Turkey
Former Uefa President Michel Platini Arrested Over Awarding of 2022 World Cup to Qatar
Artsakh-France Friendship Circle Statement
China Calls on US to Stop ‘Extreme Pressure’ on Iran
Iran Says Will Breach Uranium Stockpile Limit in 10 Days
US to Send 1,000 More Troops to Middle East
Comment by Spokesperson of the Foreign Ministry of the Republic of Artsakh Ani Sargsyan to the Aparaj Agency
Egypt’s Former President Morsi Buried, a Day After Courtroom Death
CoE Reaffirms Readiness to Support RA Government’s Reform Agenda
Nikol Pashinyan Conveys Sense of Realizing Mistake of Interfering With Law Enforcement
Erdogan Slams Macron: 'Who Are You?'
‘The Moment You Stop Learning, You Die’: President Armen Sarkissian’s Interview to Financial Times
PM Pashinyan Congratulates Iceland Premier on Country’s National Holiday
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Iran Government Adviser Warns of ‘Unavoidable War’ If Sanctions Not ‘Abandoned’
China's Stunning 'Blue Tears' Plankton Blooms Are Spreading
Saudi Arabia Blames Iran For Tanker Attacks But Does Not Want War
CoE Action Plan for Armenia 2019-2022 Launches
Suicide Attack Triple Blasts Kill at Least 30 in
Putin-Trump Meeting in Osaka May be Prepared on the Eve of G20
Our Plans Will Target Reinforcement of Civil Society And Its Role: Naira Karapetyan, Director of ''European Integration'' NGO
Magnifier: Public Discrepancies and Fight Against Them
Trump’s New Immigration Plan’s Threats to Armenia
Giacomo Luigi Ciamician, Armenian Chemist, the Pioneer of Solar Energy Idea
Kosovo's Threats to Join Albania Raise Opportunities For Armenia and Artsakh
Child Marriages Still in Place in India
Karabakh: "Coercion to Peace" Gaining Ground Again
Artworks on Scarves: Exclusive Interview with “Artuyt” Founder Arevik Arakelyan
Despite the Obstacles Imposed by Azerbaijan, Artsakh’s International Ties will Continue to Expand and Deepen
Artsakh Should Be Fully Involved in the Humanitarian Events: Expert
Wind: 6 km/h