Erdogan’s New Plan: Turkey has been Given 6 Months
Turkey has been given six months to draft a new constitution, Turkey’s Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said. The ruling Justice and Development Party wants the parliamentary group composed of three lawmakers from each of the four political parties at parliament, to begin their work from February 4, Hurriyet reports.
It should be noted that from the beginning of 2016 Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan once again has brought into the agenda the issue of passing to the presidential system. Erdogan insists that giving the Turkish President more powers is not a personal issue. He says 55 to 60 percent of Turkish population wants it, Turkish Weekly reports. Moreover, Erdogan is sure that this number will increase. "We have our friends, who all make comments on this and explain what a shift to a new presidential system would mean to the people of Turkey," Erdogan said earlier this year.
Some media reports claim if AKP does not receive support from opposition parties for the constitutional change a referendum will be held on the issue.
By the way, Turkish opposition is against the constitutional change. Particularly, pro-Kurdish Peoples' Democratic Party Co-chair Selahattin Demirtaş has said Erdoğan started to reveal his real, authoritarian intentions, Today’s Zaman reports. "The wolf in sheep's clothing has started to disclose following the presidential election," Demirtaş said, noticing that Erdoğan's method for achieving his plans is not democratic at all. "First, he seized the state, media, money, judiciary and Parliament, and now he is moving step by step to create a ‘shock doctrine' by using the state as a device for violence and war."
Finally, is the issue of presidential transition the most urgent for Turkey today?
Speaking about the problem, the main opposition Republican People’s Party head Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu said "the country has turned into a zone of fire but their personal ambition has blinded their eyes".
It is obvious that Erdogan manages to reach his goals step by step despite the criticism from all around, proving that he is not going, as he says, to be satisfied with "the role the Queen of England".
- 2 dead, 2 injured after fire at lodging section of Armenian Catholic Church in Istanbul He said the firefighter-rescue team arrived immediately. Armenian Catholic Archeparch of Istanbul Archbishop Lévon Zékiyan was also on the scene.
- Turkey is sending Cold War-era cluster bombs to Ukraine – FP The weapons are designed to destroy tanks by bursting into smaller submunitions, which can linger on the battlefield for years if they do not immediately explode. Each round scatters about 88 bomblets.
- Fire erupts in Turkey’s Black Sea port of Samsun following explosion The causes for the explosion that led to a fire are currently being analyzed.
- EU Urges Turkey to Stop Offering Russia Solutions to Circumvent Sanctions Speaking about the EU's engagement with Turkey, an important neighbor, EU partner and candidate country for EU membership, we stress the importance of ensuring that Turkey's foreign policy is aligned with...
- Any Change of Internationally Recognized Borders in Region is Unacceptable – Iranian President to Erdogan "The basis of our policy in the region is that the fates of the countries must be determined by themselves and that their national sovereignty and territorial integrity must be respected" Raisi told Erdogan...
The regular session of the Anti-corruption Policy Council takes place in Jermuk
The Prime Minister sends congratulatory messages to the supreme leader of Iran and the President of Iran
Armenia sends earthquake aid to Turkey
Commemoration of the Pontiff St. Sahak Partev
Some roads are closed and difficult to pass in Armenia
Phone conversation of the Foreign Minister of Armenia with the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs
Prime Minister Pashinyan and President Khachaturyan meet
Ararat Mirzoyan with Co-Chairman of the OSCE Minsk Group of France Brice Roquefeuil
Humans could land on Mars within 10 years, Musk predicts
France, US urge 'immediate' end to Nagorno Karabakh blockade
Blockaded Nagorno Karabakh launches fundraiser to support quake-hit Syria
Earthquake death toll in Turkey rises to 18,342
Ararat Mirzoyan Held a Telephone Conversation with Sergey Lavrov
French president rules out fighter jet supplies to Ukraine in near future
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Vahagn Khachaturyan wrote a note in the book of condolences opened in the Embassy of Syria in Armenia
Azerbaijan’s provocations impede establishment of peace and stability – Armenian FM tells Russian Co-Chair of OSCE MG
France representation to OSCE: Paris calls on Azerbaijan to restore freedom of movement through Lachin corridor
Command of Kosovo forces highly appreciated preparation of Armenian peacekeepers
The United States withdrew from sanctions against Syria for six months the provision of assistance after the earthquake
Wind: 6.69 km/h