President of "ALEPPO" Organization: Most Urgent Problems of Syrian-Armenians are Housing and Employment (EXCLUSIVE)
"Armedia" IAA presents an exclusive interview with the president of "ALEPPO" Compatriotic Charitable Organization, Ani Balkhyan on the current situation of Syrian Armenians that have come to Armenia and on the programs for helpng them.
- What is the number of Syrian Armenians in Armenia? Has their flow stopped or does it still continue?
- As a result of Syrian civil war more than 17,000 Syrian-Armenians have migrated to Armenia. It is worth mentioning that in summer of 2012, when the number of our compatriots moving to Armenia increased largely because of dreadful war conditions in Aleppo, realizing all the difficulties and problems our compatriots could face in a new country, a group of Syrian women came up with an idea of establishing a charity organization in order to give a helping hand to the fellow citizens through collective work. Thus in 2013 "ALEPPO" Compatriotic Charitable Organization was established.
The Syrian Armenians' flow to Armenia still continues, and perhaps this is one of the reasons that "ALEPPO" organization initiated "Save a Life" project in 2015, aiming to help the Syrian Armenians in a difficult financial situation to purchase a one-way ticket from Lebanon to Armenia.
- Your organization is implementing a number of projects to help Syrian Armenians. Is there any international support for those projects?
Since its foundation the "ALEPPO" organization has been developing and implementing long-term projects that facilitate the processes of integration and accommodation of displaced Syrian Armenian community. Today, nearly 1,500 needy Syrian families (5,000 individuals) have been registered in "ALEPPO" organization which in turn cooperates with a number of local and international organizations. For example, we reopened here ''Arevik'' Armenia Center, which has been working for 13 years in Aleppo, aiming at helping mentally and physically disabled people. Necessary equipments, as well as the improvement of adequate facilities for persons with special needs have been provided by the US Embassy, particularly due to the project "Better conditions for Syrians with disabilities" working in the framework of Julia Taft fund.
"ALEPPO" has also initiated and implemented projects aimed at developing Syrian Armenian women's professional business skills, promoting their economic participation and improving social conditions. Syrian women-oriented projects were implemented by the Institute for International Cooperation of the German Adult Education Association (DVV International Armenia Branch) and EEC Armenia Round Table Foundation.
''ALEPPO'' has also carried out projects to help the people who suffered a loss of a relative or some material damage during the Syrian civil war by providing some social and psychological support.
- What are the main problems that Syrian-Armenians face today? Are there any initiatives to overcome them?
- The daily work of ''ALEPPO" organization and deep studies of the social situation in the families of 5,000 Syrians show that the most urgent problem is housing, the need of shelter.
Thus "ALEPPO" organization has developed and implemented "Host a Family" project that has been realized with financial support of donors who planned to invest 15,000 to 20,000 US dollars in order to buy apartments and give them to the needy Syrian families.
"ALEPPO" organization also highlights another urgent problem related to employment. This organization has developed a number of programs aimed at ensuring the employment of Syrian Armenians. In case of necessary funding, the organization will create jobs for Syrian Armenians in the nearest future.
It should be noted that the organization also performs language courses of Arabic and Western Armenian thus creating job opportunities for Syrian specialists in Arabic and Western Armenian.
- Syria: Assad's Baath Party Wins Majority in Parliamentary Polls More than 7,000 polling stations were set up across government-controlled parts of the country. Voting also took place in former opposition-held areas for the time since government forces retook much of...
- Russia, China Veto U.N. Approval of Aid Deliveries to Syria from Turkey The Security Council will now vote on a rival Russian text that would only approve one Turkish crossing for aid access for six months. During the coronavirus pandemic the council has been operating virtually,...
- Russia, Turkey Conduct Third Joint Patrol in Idlib The first joint Russian-Turkish patrol of the M4 highway section in the Idlib de-escalation zone took place on March 15.
- Russian Military Delegation To Arrive In Ankara On March 10 Russian military delegation will arrive in Ankara on March 10 to discuss joint patrols in Syria’s Idlib, RIA Novosti reports.
- US Welcomes Russian-Turkish Ceasefire In Idlib The United States is encouraged by reports of a Russian-Turkish ceasefire in Syria's Idlib province, a spokesperson for the US Department of State told on Thursday
Indonesia Quake Kills at Least 42, Injures Hundreds
Turkey Informs About Composition of Turkish-Russian ceasefire Monitoring Center in Karabakh
Putin Discussed the Outcome of the Karabakh Trilateral Summit with Permanent Members of Russia's Security Council
Governor of Shirak Tigran Petrosyan Tenders Resignation
The Armenian Cultural Heritage in the Territories under the Azerbaijani Control is Seriously Endangered: MFA
More than 100 Individuals Arrested for Capitol Hill Riots, Says FBI
North Korea Unveils New Submarine-Launched Missile
Hrant Dink Commemoration Events to be Held Online this Year
Russian Peacekeepers in Karabakh Begin Coronavirus Vaccination
Armenia Records 163972 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Some Roads are Closed in Armenia
Russian Foreign Ministry Informs US, French Ambassadors About Putin-Pashinyan-Aliyev Meeting
Iran Fires Cruise Missiles during Naval Drill
Turkey Says Turning Back on S-400s 'Problematic'
Iranian Champion Dedicates his Gold Medal to the Family of Armenian Athlete Killed in the Artsakh War
No Search Operations Planned in Artsakh at the Request of Azerbaijan
Feast of the Birth of St. John the Forerunner (Baptist)
Trump again Urges "No Violence" Following Historic 2nd Impeachment
Information Provided by Armenian POWs in Azerbaijan can’t Serve as Base for Prosecution against Them
Armenia Records 163576 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Pilgrimage to Armenian St. Thaddeus Monastery in Iran Inscribed on UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List
Lavrov: No Provocations Against Russian Peacekeepers in Nagorno-Karabakh
Azerbaijan President's Statement Contradicts point 8 of Statement Signed on November 9, 2020: Arman Tatoyan
Artsakh Authorities Find More Bodies of Fallen Troops in Ongoing Search Operations
Artsakh Security Chief: We Could Have Avoided the War
Colorado Identifies First Known Case of UK Coronavirus Variant in US
Armenia to Import 2,250 Goods from Iran Instead of Turkey
Bodies of 1,111 Fallen Armenian Soldiers Retrieved So Far: Artsakh Emergency Service
Let's Believe that 2021 Will Restore Our Lost Dignity
Armenian, Azerbaijani Intelligence Chiefs Discuss PoW Exchange at Moscow-Mediated Meeting
Wind: 12 km/h