Iran-Azerbaijani Negotiations will not Contradict Russia's Position
Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani is expected to visit Baku within the next couple of months. According to Trend Agency, this was declared by Iranian Vice-President and head of the Cultural Heritage Organization Massoud Soltanifar.
"President Hassan Rouhani's upcoming visit to Baku will boost the level of cooperation between Iran and Azerbaijan," a senior Iranian official said.
He noticed that Iranian President Rouhani and his Azerbaijani counterpart Ilham Aliyev have met six times over the past two years, adding that the Presidents are determined to boost bilateral ties. According to Soltanifar, Tehran and Baku have agreed on over 40 deals during this time.
It should be reminded that Aliyev's last visit to Tehran took place on February 2016. The two sides signed 11 agreements covering various areas of cooperation between Tehran and Baku. Earlier almost immediately after the signing of the Geneva agreements on lifting sanctions against Iran, the first visit of a delegation from Iran headed by a senior official (Iranian First Vice President Ishaq Jahangir) was done to Armenia.
After the Karabakh four-day war the visit of the Iranian President to Azerbaijan gets a completely different coloring and it cannot be considered only in the context of bilateral relations.
It should be noted that at the beginning of April, during fierce fighting on NKR-Azerbaijani border, Iran avoided expressing support to any of the conflicting sides. At the same time all the signals from the Islamic Republic of Iran indicated that official Tehran has a clear understanding of the logic of the events and tries to face the challenges arising from the current situation and to use the given opportunities.
From this point of view it is expected that one of the main issues that will be discussed during the talks between Aliyev and Rouhani will be the Karabakh conflict. It should not be forgotten that besides the neutrality Iran is also trying to come up with some mediation initiatives. And this issue will probably be discussed during the meeting of two Presidents.
By the way, the logic of the Iranian-Azerbaijani talks will hardly contradict the Russian approach on this issue. Iran and Russia are against the interference of foreign powers in regional affairs. At the same time both Iran and Russia are trying to keep (and if possible extend) their influence on Azerbaijan, preventing Ankara's growing influence in Baku.
- Azerbaijani Tank Movement Curtailed by Fire at Right – Defense Ministry “Interesting footage coming soon,” she wrote.
- UN Secretary General Urges Immediate end to the Fighting on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border "The Secretary-General urges an immediate end to the fighting and calls on all involved to take immediate steps to de-escalate the situation and refrain from provocative rhetoric.
- OSCE MG Co-Chairs Condemn Ceasefire Violations The OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs Igor Popov of the Russian Federation, Stéphane Visconti of France, and Andrew Schofer of the United States of America have released a statement today condemning the ceasefire...
- Statement by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Artsakh We strongly condemn the gross violation of the ceasefire regime committed by the Azerbaijani side on July 12 on the Armenian-Azerbaijani border in the Tavush region of the Republic of Armenia, followed...
- Comment by the Spokesperson of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia on the Ceasefire Violations by the Azerbaijani Armed Forces in the Direction of the Tavush Region The Minister of Foreign Affairs of Armenia, in coordination with the Prime Minister of Armenia and the Minister of Defense, is in constant contact with the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs and the Personal Representative...
- Israel Strikes Gaza Targets After Rocket Fire The rockets launched into Israel both fell in open terrain. No casualties were reported on either side.
- Turkey, Russia, Iran to Hold 5th Summit on Syria The summit aims at assessing the latest developments in war-weary Syria -- northwestern Idlib city in particular -- ending the conflict climate, ensuring the necessary conditions for the voluntary return...
- Iran Pushes South Korea to Release Billions Withheld by Banks "It is appalling to see that Korean banks have conveniently neglected their obligations, common international financial agreements, and decided to play politics and follow illegal and unilateral U.S. sanctions,"...
- Iran: US Must Stop its State Terrorism In a statement late on Wednesday, the US Department of State accused Iran and four other countries of not cooperating with Washington in the fight against terrorism.
- U.S. Envoy Threatens to Trigger Return of U.N. Sanctions on Iran A resolution needs nine yes votes and no vetoes by Russia, China, the United States, France or Britain to be adopted by the 15-member Security Council. Russia has already signaled it is opposed to extending...
President Armen Sarkissian Sent a Congratulatory Message to Emmanuel Macron
Azerbaijani Defense Ministry Confirms Death of Major General and Colonel
Armenian air Forces Hit Azerbaijani UAV
Dutch MP Condemns Azerbaijani Shelling on Armenia
Two Armenian Servicemen Killed from Azerbaijani Fire
Armenian President Hosts French Ambassador
US Supreme Court Allows First Federal Executions Of Prisoners In 17 Years
CSTO Urges to Immediately End Fire in Armenia-Azerbaijan Border
Guatemalan MPs Condemn Azerbaijan’s Military Operations Against Armenia
Armenia Ombudsman’s Office Prepares 2nd Interim Report on Azerbaijani Shelling of Tavush Settlements
U.S. Supreme Court Clears Way for Execution of Federal Prisoner
Aggression against Security of Civilian Population of Armenia will Receive Proportionate Response: MFA Spokesperson
Armenian Armed Forces Destroy Azerbaijani Military Bases that Shelled Civilian Settlements (video)
Azerbaijan Targets Civilian Infrastructures of Berd with Attacking Drone
UN Secretary General Urges Immediate end to the Fighting on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border
Armenia Records 32490 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Phone Conversation of Zohrab Mnatsakanyan with Josep Borrell, High Representative of the EU for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy
Azerbaijani Tank Movement Curtailed by Fire at Right – Defense Ministry
1st Vice President of Guatemala Congress Condemns Azerbaijani Attack on Armenia
U.S. Urges Armenia, Azerbaijan Stop Using Force, Adhere to Ceasefire
Anouch Toraninan Elected Head of 15th Arrondissement of Paris
Ancient Armenian Church Surfaces from under Lake Van
Armenia’s Government Should Oppose Turkey Attempts to Take Over Armenian Properties in Jerusalem
Turkey Drew Up Plans to Invade Greece and Armenia: Jerusalem Post
Government Approves 22nd Anti-Crisis Program: Unemployed Citizens to Receive Lump-Sum Assistance at the Rate of the Minimum Wage
Armenian Woman is Elected Mayor of France’s Strasbourg
Comment by the Spokesperson of the MFA of Armenia Anna Naghdalyan on the Remarks of the President of Azerbaijan During the Opening on N Military Unit
The Authorities of the Republic of Artsakh Confirm Their Determination to Seek the Restoration of the Territorial Integrity of the Republic: Artsakh MFA
Armenia PM: Constitutional Court President will be Dismissed, Powers of CC Members will Terminate in a Few Hours
Kim Kardashian Calls on Her Millions of Followers to Support Small Businesses in Armenia
Wind: 12 km/h