Interesting Facts about Popes
- The first Pope is considered to be apostle Peter. Catholics believe that the last Pope will also be Peter. It will be under the rule of the pontificate Peter II that the Antichrist will appear on the Earth and the Apocalypse will begin.
- The election of Pope is carried by the conclave - a meeting of cardinals. The meeting can last for an indefinite time, until the 2/3 of Cardinals vote for one candidate. In 1268 conclave met for more than two years. The Cardinals could not make up their mind until they were served no more food. Only then did they finally choose Gregory X.
- In 1276 the Pope was the Portuguese Pedro Julian, who took the name John XXI. The funny thing is that the previous one was John XIX, but Julian for some reason decided that there was a mistake in the Pope list, and that the number of Popes with the name John was 20. As it turned out later, Pope John XXI was wrong: John XX never existed, but it was too late to correct anything.
- There is a legend that the Papal throne was once occupied by a woman - Pope Joan. Supposedly, the deception was discovered only after a while when she delivered a baby during one of the ceremonial processions. Since then, all the Popes until Leo X were tested for the presence of manhood.
- Pope Julius II was a great swordsman. It was him, who created the well-known Papal Swiss Guard, as in those days the Swiss mercenaries were considered the best soldiers in Europe.
- The shortest reign in the history of Catholic Church was the reign of Leo XI, who died only 27 days after his accession to the throne.
- Until 1992, Vatican never publicly acknowledged that the Earth revolves around the sun. It was only in 1992 that Pope John Paul II officially acknowledged Galileo's theory, and called the execution of the scientist an ''unfair'' one.
- The first Pope to visit a Muslim shrine became John Paul II, who in 2001 conducted a prayer service in the Umayyad Mosque in Damascus.
At NATO headquarters, Secretary of Armenia’s Security Council talks about Azerbaijani war crimes
US State Department calls for an investigation into the execution of Armenian prisoners by Azerbaijani soldiers
The British Embassy in Armenia is Horrified by the Footage of the Killing of Armenian POWs by Azerbaijani Armed Forces
Ter-Petrosyan's Comparison of Zurich Protocols and Possible Armenian-Turkish Peace Treaty is Inappropriate
Azerbaijani army opened fire from mortars and large-caliber rifles in the direction of Armenian positions
The President of the Artsakh Republic convened an extended sitting of the Security Council
EU calls on Azerbaijan to immediately investigate the footage of the shooting of Armenian prisoners of war
Pashinyan receives the delegation led by the First President of the Italian Supreme Court of Cassation
Armenia MOD Delegation Visits Several US Military Training Institutions
Emotions must not prevail, says Kremlin after Kadyrov’s remark about nuclear weapons
Azerbaijan aims for larger occupied territories in Armenia, Security Council Secretary tells Fox News
5-Day Weather Forecast In Armenia
Pashinyan sends congratulatory message to the Prime Minister of Iraq
Azerbaijan confirmed holding 17 Armenian POWs after latest aggression: ECHR
Armenian Defense Ministry’s Top Officials Visit Several Educational Institutions In U.S.
FM Ararat Mirzoyan met with State Secretary of the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs of Switzerland Livia Leu
Artsakh is a shield that has protected Armenia for centuries: Artsakh MFA
Savage Images of Azerbaijani Soldiers Shooting Armenian POWs to Death Are Unacceptable: Spain Lawmaker
Azerbaijan Attacked Internationally Recognized Territories of Armenia: Spanish El País Newspaper’s Coverage
Azerbaijan Refuses to Fulfill its Promise to Release Armenian POWs For Already the Second Time: PM Pashinyan
Azerbaijan Returns Five POWs to Armenian Side
Azeri Propaganda Spreads Fake Videos, Old Gootage From 2020 War
Mutual recognition of territorial integrity must be basis of peace treaty: Pashinyan
EU Condemns Russian Annexation, will Never Accept "Illegal" Referendums
Erdogan and Pashinyan may meet soon: Rubinyan
Meeting of Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Iran
Zelensky says ready for dialogue with Russia, but not with Putin
Armenia’s Security Council Secretary holds meetings at CIA headquarters
Pashinyan Meets with UN Secretary General António Guterres
Latest Events on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border Have Nothing to Do with Karabakh: Putin
Wind: 1.54 km/h
Wind: 1.54 km/h