Will the Armenian Community of Turkey Manage to Remove Ateshyan Forever?
On February 20, during the meeting of the Supreme Spiritual Council, Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin will discuss the situation in Armenian Patriarchate of Constantinople. This was announced by Ter Vahram Pastor Melikyan, the head of Information Department of Holy Etchmiadzin, News.am reports.
It should be reminded, that on February 9, taking into consideration the Istanbul Governor's letter, in which it was stressed that the state continues to recognize Archbishop Aram Ateshyan as the Patriarch of Constantinople and considers illegitimate Archbishop Bechkian's election and its decisions, a religious convention took place. During this meeting a decision was made to return to the situation of 2010 when the government appointed Archbishop Aram Ateshyan as Deputy Patriarch, it means that he will continue to fulfill the duties of the Patriarch. It is also mentioned that, Archbishop Bekchyan, who was elected Patriarch locum tenens last year, did not attend this Religious Council meeting and he verbally informed about his resignation.
This situation brought a rather negative reaction in the Turkish-Armenian community. During a liturgy in the Armenian church of the Feric of Istanbul, dedicated to Barekendan, a woman named Besse Kabak boycotted the reassignment of Ateshyan to the post of viceroy of the patriarch of the Patriarchate of Constantinople. Ateshyan told to remove the woma immediately from the church. Then the police took her to the police station. There they said that the woman was a guest and asked her to write an explanation, after which she was released.
It is hard to say whether the Armenian community of Turkey will be able to remove Ateshyan forever. He enjoys great support from the Turkish authorities and personally from Erdogan. However, Etchmiadzin's position is also very important: The Patriarchate of Constantinople is one of the Hierarchical Churches of the Armenian Apostolic Church.
In this context we should note that the Turkish authorities do not allow holding the election of the patriarch, referring to the fact that the Armenian patriarch is elected for life, and Mutafyan is alive, so new elections are impossible. However, according to the rules and traditions of the Armenian church, the absence of the patriarch within 7 years allows the dissolution of the Patriarchal covenant.
- Erdogan Has Limited Options to Save Turkey from Financial Crisis: Reuters Erdogan has limited options. Most involve a loss of face or a loss of sovereignty for which he alone would be blamed, having successfully marginalized not just a divided opposition but his own Justice...
- 'You Don’t Understand' Fury as Macron Brands Turkey 'Anti-European' Mr Macron asked French ambassadors in Paris: “Do we think today that in a clear and honest manner we can continue accession negotiations with Turkey to join the European Union?”
- Turkey's Biggest Mobile Phone Importing Companies Cancel their Phone Orders According to the traders, the buyers in Anatolia also cancelled their contracts for the purchase of iPhone models.
- Erdogan Says Attempts to Exert Economic Pressure on Turkey Futile Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has described attempts to exert economic pressure on his country, including by means of destabilizing its financial system, as futile.
- Turkey, US Reach Preliminary Agreement on Sanctions Crisis Brunson, who led a Protestant church in the Aegean city of İzmir, is at the center of one of the most serious crises in relations between the NATO allies in years.
Nikol Pashinyan Meets with UN Secretary-General António Guterres
In theFramework of the Summit of Minds President Met with the Leaders of Over Two Dozen Companies
Poland to be Referred to EU's Top Court
Russia to Send S-300s to Syria within 2 Weeks
Armenian PM Instructs to Set Up Working Group to Study Gas Prices
Moldova Court Suspends President Dodon
Shinzo Abe and Trump Hold Constructive Talks on Trade and North Korea
Rouhani: Americans Want Iran to Have no Security
Artsakh's Defense Army Serviceman Artsakh Hovsepyan Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
UN Gen-Sec Admired at Peaceful Power Change in Armenia
Powerful People, Powerful Citizens – PM Pashinyan about Election Results
Yerevan Election Vote Tallying Concluded, Hayk Marutyan to Assume Office as Mayor on October 10
Aliyev Criticized International Observers' Assessment on the Yerevan Council of Elderly Elections before the Election Results Were Published
Voter Turnout in the Yerevan City Council Elections is 34.72% - CEC
Armenian Genocide Memorial Blessed in Boise
"Historic Selfie" of Nikol Pashinyan and Catholicos Garegin II
Armenian FM to attend UN General Assembly session in New York
President Armen Sarkissian Took Part in the Annual Summit of Minds in Chamonix
Ara Babloyan: It is Too Eearly to Speak about the Early Dissolution of Parliament
PM Nikol Pashinyan Departed to New York
Pashinyan: Karabakh Should Become a Part of Armenia
Erdogan Wants to Build a Seljuk Style Presidential Palace on Shores of Lake Van
Dan Bilzerian Registers in the Armenian Armed Forces
Merkel Left Azerbaijan with ''Armenian Flags''
US Announces Death of ISIS Leader in Afghanistan
Gevorg Harutyunyan Took the Third Place at the "New Wave -2018" International Music Contest
Feast of Exaltation of the Holy Cross
"Declaration of Independence Laid Foundation of Artsakh’s State-Building’ – Armenian President Extends Congrats on 27th Anniversary
Dan Bilzerian Heads to Artsakh
Jean-Claude Van Damme to Be on Hand at Comedy Club Festival in Yerevan
Wind: 11.27 km/h