Rhetoric around Preparing Armenian and Azerbaijani Societies for Peace Needs Transparency to Make Way for "Informed Judgements"
The director of the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA) has shared his thoughts and concerns over the recent international calls for preparing the Armenian and Azerbaijani societies for peace around Nagorno-Karabakh (Artsakh), Tert.am reports.
In a statement on his official profile on Facebok, Aram Hamparian stressed the need of transparency in the process to allow for public evaluations.
The full text of his statement is below:
Rhetoric around "preparing populations for peace" rings hollow unless matched with the transparency needed for the public to actually make informed judgments.
Without transparency, such calls can come across as something between "you can trust me" and
"you don't need to know."
Here are a few questions, to start:
-- Are the Madrid Principles the basis for current talks?
-- What are the outlines of the deal under consideration?
-- What role will Artsakh play in this process?
-- Has Aliyev stepped back from his NeverArtsakh stand?
-- Which elements of a deal are upfront, which are deferred?
-- What enforcement is envisioned for deferred commitments?
-- What guarantees can be offered against renewed aggression?
-- What are the realistic expectations regarding peacekeepers?
More broadly, how would a deal - if implemented - play out, over the short, mid, and long terms?
For example, if Artsakh were to surrender land/security upfront, would Azerbaijan respond in good faith by keeping its commitments regarding Artsakh's future status. Or would Azerbaijan take this concession as a sign of weakness, leveraging its new advantage on the ground to secure (as Ilham Aliyev has repeatedly pledged) further territorial gains, until all of Artsakh is brought under Baku's control - with or without Armenians?
We may hope for the best, but must - given our history and geography - prepare the worst.
This is not a time for careless thinking.
As they say, we need to stay open-minded, but not so open that our brains fall out.
- OSCE to Conduct Monitoring at Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border The authorities of the Republic of Artsakh have expressed their readiness to assist in conducting the monitoring and to ensure the security of the OSCE Mission members.
- Insight From Yerevan: Outcomes of Armenia And Azerbaijan FM Meeting “Insight From Yerevan: Earth” hosted analyst Karen Bekaryan to discuss Armenia, Azerbaijan FM Washington meeting outcomes.
- Press Statement of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs on Armenia and Azerbaijan FM Meeting During their conversation with the Co-Chairs, the Foreign Ministers agreed upon the importance of taking full advantage of the existing direct communication links in order to react swiftly to reduce the...
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Satisfied With His Discussion With Bolton on NK Peace Process Foreign Minister of Armenia Zohrab Mnatsakanyan met with U.S. national security adviser John Bolton during his visit to Washington.
- Washington Meetings Not to Yield Serious Results? The difference in approaches and attitudes does not inspire hope that the negotiations will record significant results.
Iran Denies Being Hit by US Cyberattack
Kremlin: Georgia in Grip of Russophobic Hysteria
Ekrem Imamoglu: Mayoral Vote Has 'Renewed Our Faith in Democracy And Justice'
Trump Says He is Not 'Looking For War' As He prods Iran For Talks
Ukraine’s Central Election Commission Bars Saakashvili’s Party From Elections
Trump to Visit South Korea This Week For Summit With Moon
Iran Says It Welcomes any Diffusion of Tensions in Region
Magnifier: Office of High Commissioner on Diaspora
OSCE to Conduct Monitoring at Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border
Jeremy Hunt Tells Boris Johnson 'Don't Be a Coward' Over Scrutiny
Insight From Yerevan: Outcomes of Armenia And Azerbaijan FM Meeting
China Says Both U.S., China Should Make Compromises in Trade Talks
Czechs Demand PM Step Down in Largest Protest Since Communist Era
US Launched Cyber Attack on Iranian Computer Systems
Pompeo Heads to Saudi Arabia, UAE For Iran Crisis Talks
Erdogan’s Candidate Concedes Defeat in Istanbul Vote
Minsk 2019: Tigran Kirakosyan – Gold Medalist
Dmitry Medvedev Congratulated Armen Sarkissian
Georgian Airways Offers Tbilisi-Yerevan-Moscow Flights To Overcome Russian Sanctioncs
Putin Congratulated Armen Sarkissian: We highly Appreciate Your Role in the Development of Cooperation Between Our Countries
Our Plans Will Target Reinforcement of Civil Society And Its Role: Naira Karapetyan, Director of ''European Integration'' NGO
Giacomo Luigi Ciamician, Armenian Chemist, the Pioneer of Solar Energy Idea
"Any Armenian Living Outside the Homeland Should Realize That Their Ultimate Goal is to Return to Armenia": Nikol Pashinyan (PHOTOS)
Kosovo's Threats to Join Albania Raise Opportunities For Armenia and Artsakh
Trump’s New Immigration Plan’s Threats to Armenia
Karabakh: "Coercion to Peace" Gaining Ground Again
Artworks on Scarves: Exclusive Interview with “Artuyt” Founder Arevik Arakelyan
Artsakh Should Be Fully Involved in the Humanitarian Events: Expert
There is No Religion For Food, All Are Human Beings
Wind: 8 km/h