French MP on Notre Dame de Paris Fire: How Can One Blame God For Fire? (Exclusive)
The fire on April 15 ravaged the cultural, historical and spiritual center of Paris bearing 850 years of history.
”Armedia” IAA talked to Nadia Yesayan, MP of the Republic of France.
- Mrs. Yesayan, the fire in Notre Dame de Paris made us revalue Christianity and the role of Christian temples in Europe. Can this incident signal a reassessment of values?
- Notre Dame of Paris is a historical and cultural heritage for the whole world. It is also a sanctuary for Christians and symbolic place for the French church.
The fire raised the awareness of Christian history in France with numerous TV stations presenting the history of the temple. I am not sure though, whether that is enough to further reinforce the faith. On the other hand I was touched by the solidarity for rebuilding the temple. That was beyond all borders and above all religions. That fraternity that unifies us regardless of our differences is the highest value of humanity.
- The Turkish press and Turkish social media users reaction to the fire was rather radical. Some of them wrote that it is the punishment Europe bears for not reacting adequately to New Zealand terrorism and other killings of Muslims. Others said that that’s Allah’s punishment for the position towards the Armenian genocide. What do you think?
- I hope what you described is a marginal position. To my mind it jeopardizes peace. How can one blame God for the fire?
I prefer citing Erdogan’s statement in which he expresses his deep sorrow for the French people.
- Against the backdrop of social protests in the country many philanthropists have donated huge amounts of money for rebuilding the temple. What is the position of the French people in this regard?
- A lot of French people have donated to the temple because they want it to be quickly rebuilt. But there is also criticism as to “how is it possible to raise such an amount so quickly whereas very little support is available for other problems.”
I think one should not contrast causes. The emotions during the fire, the temple’s position in France’s scenery, the significance of the following reconstruction and curiosity made people donate. A month later they will face another issue as it happens with some natural disasters. We must be happy for the donations but also remind the donors that there are other important issues as well.
Armenia's MFA Strongly Condemns Attempts of Azerbaijan on Targeting Population of Chinari and Aygepar Villages
Armenian Army's General Staff Received Russia's Ambassador to Armenia
Armenia's MFA Strongly Condemns Turkey's Attempts to Instigate Instability in Our Region
PM: Armenia’s Armed Forces Keep the Situation Under Full Control: no Provocative Action Goes Unanswered
OSCE MG Co-Chairs Condemn Ceasefire Violations
Statement by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Artsakh
Azerbaijani Side Fired Three Projectiles from a 120 mm Caliber Mortar in the Direction of Armenia's Chinar Settlement
Lives of 3 Armenian Soldiers, 2 Police Officers Wounded by Azerbaijani Shooting not Under Danger
Russian FM Calls Yerevan and Baku for Immediate Ceasefire
CSTO Special Session Postponed for Indefinite Period
Phone Conversation of Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan with Sergey Lavrov, the Foreign Minister of Russia
Russian MFA Expresses Concern Over Situation on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border
Armenian Ombudsman’s Office Sends Interim Report on Tavush Shelling to International Structures
Toivo Klaar Expresses Concern on "Exchange of Fire on Armenia-Azerbaijan Border"
Minister of Healthcare: In Armenia 650 Patients in Serious or Critical Condition
Armenia Extends State of Emergency
Operative Situation on Artsakh and Azerbaijani Armed Forces' Line of Contact Was Mostly Calm at Night
Two Armenian Police Officers Slightly Injured in Azerbaijani Shooting
Wizz Air Abu Dhabi will Start Operating Flights on the Route Abu Dhabi –Yerevan- Abu Dhabi
The Armenian Armed Forces are not Firing on the Azerbaijani Settlements
Ancient Armenian Church Surfaces from under Lake Van
Anouch Toraninan Elected Head of 15th Arrondissement of Paris
Armenia’s Government Should Oppose Turkey Attempts to Take Over Armenian Properties in Jerusalem
Turkey Drew Up Plans to Invade Greece and Armenia: Jerusalem Post
Government Approves 22nd Anti-Crisis Program: Unemployed Citizens to Receive Lump-Sum Assistance at the Rate of the Minimum Wage
Comment by the Spokesperson of the MFA of Armenia Anna Naghdalyan on the Remarks of the President of Azerbaijan During the Opening on N Military Unit
The Authorities of the Republic of Artsakh Confirm Their Determination to Seek the Restoration of the Territorial Integrity of the Republic: Artsakh MFA
Armenian Woman is Elected Mayor of France’s Strasbourg
Armenia PM: Constitutional Court President will be Dismissed, Powers of CC Members will Terminate in a Few Hours
Comment by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Anna Naghdalyan on the Session of Supreme Advisory Council Under the Turkish President's Office
Wind: 4 km/h