French MP on Notre Dame de Paris Fire: How Can One Blame God For Fire? (Exclusive)
The fire on April 15 ravaged the cultural, historical and spiritual center of Paris bearing 850 years of history.
”Armedia” IAA talked to Nadia Yesayan, MP of the Republic of France.
- Mrs. Yesayan, the fire in Notre Dame de Paris made us revalue Christianity and the role of Christian temples in Europe. Can this incident signal a reassessment of values?
- Notre Dame of Paris is a historical and cultural heritage for the whole world. It is also a sanctuary for Christians and symbolic place for the French church.
The fire raised the awareness of Christian history in France with numerous TV stations presenting the history of the temple. I am not sure though, whether that is enough to further reinforce the faith. On the other hand I was touched by the solidarity for rebuilding the temple. That was beyond all borders and above all religions. That fraternity that unifies us regardless of our differences is the highest value of humanity.
- The Turkish press and Turkish social media users reaction to the fire was rather radical. Some of them wrote that it is the punishment Europe bears for not reacting adequately to New Zealand terrorism and other killings of Muslims. Others said that that’s Allah’s punishment for the position towards the Armenian genocide. What do you think?
- I hope what you described is a marginal position. To my mind it jeopardizes peace. How can one blame God for the fire?
I prefer citing Erdogan’s statement in which he expresses his deep sorrow for the French people.
- Against the backdrop of social protests in the country many philanthropists have donated huge amounts of money for rebuilding the temple. What is the position of the French people in this regard?
- A lot of French people have donated to the temple because they want it to be quickly rebuilt. But there is also criticism as to “how is it possible to raise such an amount so quickly whereas very little support is available for other problems.”
I think one should not contrast causes. The emotions during the fire, the temple’s position in France’s scenery, the significance of the following reconstruction and curiosity made people donate. A month later they will face another issue as it happens with some natural disasters. We must be happy for the donations but also remind the donors that there are other important issues as well.
President Sarkissian Sent a Congratulatory Message to the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Boris Johnson
Out of Five Countries Armenia is Traditionally Russia’s Official Ally: Zatulin
Parliament of the Brussels-Capital Region Ratifies the Armenia-EU CEPA
Only Turkish Parliament Can Heal the Wound of the Armenian People: Garo Paylan
Artsakh Republic President Convened a Working Consultation in Martakert Region
Turkey summons US ambassador over Armenian genocide resolution
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Received Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office
PM Receives Newly Appointed IMF Armenia Mission Head
No Document Discussed at Negotiations: Armenia’s MFA Spokesperson Refutes Mammadyarov’s Claims About "Lavrov’s Plan"
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Language of Threats Not Work in Armenia and Artsakh’s Case: Anna Naghdalyan
Cher Reacts to Senate Armenian Genocide Resolution
EU Leaders Agree to Extend Sanctions Against Russia for 6 Months
"Disgraceful": Turkey Lambasts US Senate for Armenian Genocide Vote
Armenia’s PM to Depart to St. Petersburg Next Week
Armenian FM Calls US Senate Resolution 150 a Decisive Step in Serving Justice
His Holiness Garegin II Welcomes US Senate Passage of Armenian Genocide Recognition Resolution
US Senate’s Resolution is the Victory of Justice and Truth – PM Pashinyan
UN General Assembly Adopts World Chess Day Resolution Tabled by Armenia
Serj Tankian Thanked American Lawmakers
Komitas Statue to Be Unveiled in Front of Istanbul’s Armenian Patriarchate
Artsakh Republic President Participated in the Opening Ceremony of the Library-Reading Hall of the "Matenadaran-Gandzasar" Scientific-Cultural Center
Revolution Turns into Ashes when the Given Promise Isn't Kept: Aram I Catholicos
December 10: Artsakh People Voted for Independence
Artsakh Republic President Held a Working Consultation with the Representatives of the Askeran Regional Administration and Community Heads
Impression is As if Authorities Want Quicker Settlement of Artsakh Issue to Live Freely: Vazgen Manukyan
Garo Paylan asked Turkish DM to Clarify Whether Turkish General Staff Has an Action Plan of Airstrikes against Armenia
Statement by MFA of Armenia Regarding the Statements by the President of Turkey on Armenian Genocide Made in the United States
Azerbaijan Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border around 140 Times in One Week
Colonel Arayik Grigoryan Appointed Frst Deputy Director of the Artsakh Republic National Security Service
Wind: 3 km/h