ANCA Applauds Overwhelming Bipartisan House Passage of Chu Amendment to Strengthen Artsakh Cease-Fire
he U.S. House has overwhelmingly adopted the Chu Amendment endorsing the bipartisan Royce-Engel peace proposal for Artsakh, a three-part, ANCA-backed plan to deploy gunfire locators, add observers, and withdraw snipers, heavy arms, and new weaponry from the Artsakh line-of-contact, reported the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA).
“The campaign of terror against the people of Artsakh must end,” Rep. Chu told the ANCA following House passage of her measure. “That’s why I introduced my amendment to support the cease-fire strengthening proposals originally put forward by House Foreign Affairs Chairman Eliot Engel and his predecessor, Ed Royce. The Royce-Engel proposals include gunfire locators, new observers, and a ban on snipers, heavy arms, and new weaponry along the line-of-contact. Adopting them is necessary for ensuring those who violate the peace are caught and stopped, and that is what my amendment encourages. I am pleased it was adopted in the NDAA and hope to see these proposals implemented,” concluded Rep. Chu.
“We welcome today’s historic U.S. House vote for peace,” said ANCA Chairman Raffi Hamparian. “We want to thank Congresswoman Judy Chu for her relentless advocacy, Chairman McGovern for his thoughtful and principled leadership of the Rules Committee, Representatives Pallone and Schiff for serving as amendment cosponsors, and – of course – each and every one of the legislators who cast common sense votes for a stronger cease-fire and the promise of a durable and democratic peace between Artsakh and Azerbaijan.”
Joining Rep. Chu as cosponsors of her amendment were Congressional Armenian Caucus Co-Chair Frank Pallone (D-NJ) and Vice-Chair Adam Schiff (D-CA). The amendment, #97, was adopted by the full House by a voice vote on Wednesday evening, as part of an “en bloc” series of amendments. ANCA summer fellows were on Capitol Hill throughout the day advocating in support of passage of the measure. Photos from their meetings are available on the ANCA Facebook page here:
- Hot Line With Azerbaijani President Does Not Guarantee There Will Be No Victims – Pashinyan According to the PM, as far as the Azerbaijani president has not pronounced that sentence, the negotiations will not be productive.
- Bako Sahakyan Received Armen Grigoryan Artsakh Republic Security Council secretary Arshavir Gharamyan partook at the meeting.
- OSCE Mission Monitoring: Azerbaijani Side Didn't Lead the OSCE Mission to its Front-Line Positions From the Artsakh side, the monitoring mission was accompanied by representatives of the Republic of Artsakh Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Defense.
- OSCE Mission to Conduct Monitoring on Artsakh-Azerbaijan Line of Contact The authorities of the Republic of Artsakh have expressed their readiness to assist in conducting the monitoring and to ensure the security of the OSCE Mission members.
- OSCE PA's Luxembourg Declaration Cites Need for Karabakh Settlement The Declaration also encourages the leaders of Armenia and Azerbaijan to intensify their dialogue in the context of the mediation led by the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs and to take “specific and tangible...
Armenian President Congratulates Egyptian Counterpart on National Day
U.S. Army Involved in Secret D.C. Operation
Japan Lodged Protest with S.Korea, Russia after Jet Incident
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Kabul Seeks Clarification of Trump's Remarks on 'Wiping out Afghanistan'
Trump and Congressional Leaders Announce Critical Debt and Budget Deal
5.4 Magnitude Quake Hits Southern Iran
Pompeo: Different Countries to Participate in Patrolling Strait of Hormuz
Russian-Armenians are Active in Different Spheres – Sinanyan Meets with Russian Deputy FM
North Korea's Kim Inspects New Submarine
Trump Says He Could Wipe Afghanistan off Face of the Earth in 10 Days
Nikol Pashinyan Sends Condolence Cable on Passing of Yukiya Amano
Meeting with President of the Russian Dance Union Stanislaw Popov
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia: the Air Temperature will Go Down
Millions of Barrels of Iranian Oil Are Piled Up in China’s Ports
"The Authority of Each Officer Should be Much Greater than that of His Epaulettes"- Nikol Pashinyan Meets with Graduates of Military Educational Institutions
Israel Begins Demolishing Palestinian Homes near Separation Wall
Ararat Mirzoyan Meets with Representatives of the Armenian Community of Boston
Cooperation of EU and Armenia Is On the Right Track – Ambassador Świtalski
Armenian Defense Minister Doesn’t See Anything to Worry About Border Situation
RA-EU Partnership Road-Map Hardly Overlaps EEU Regulations
Magnifier: Office of High Commissioner on Diaspora
Charles Aznavour's Love Letters to Be Put Up for Auction
For Who the Ministry of Diaspora was Abolished
Insight From Yerevan: Outcomes of Armenia And Azerbaijan FM Meeting
PM Nikol Pashinyan, Mrs. Anna Hakobyan Arrive in Singapore on Official Visit; They Met with Local and Neighboring Countries’ Armenian Communities
Armenia Won't Go to Unilateral Concessions which Endanger Artsakh’s Security and Right to Self-Determination
Artsakh’s Foreign Ministry Welcome the Adoption of the Amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of the US House of Representatives
President of Artsakh Visited the Construction Site of a New Residential Community in Capital Stepanakert
Armenian Speaker of Parliament Meets with President of the House of Representatives of Cyprus Demetris Syllouris
Wind: 12 km/h