ANCA Applauds Overwhelming Bipartisan House Passage of Chu Amendment to Strengthen Artsakh Cease-Fire
he U.S. House has overwhelmingly adopted the Chu Amendment endorsing the bipartisan Royce-Engel peace proposal for Artsakh, a three-part, ANCA-backed plan to deploy gunfire locators, add observers, and withdraw snipers, heavy arms, and new weaponry from the Artsakh line-of-contact, reported the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA).
“The campaign of terror against the people of Artsakh must end,” Rep. Chu told the ANCA following House passage of her measure. “That’s why I introduced my amendment to support the cease-fire strengthening proposals originally put forward by House Foreign Affairs Chairman Eliot Engel and his predecessor, Ed Royce. The Royce-Engel proposals include gunfire locators, new observers, and a ban on snipers, heavy arms, and new weaponry along the line-of-contact. Adopting them is necessary for ensuring those who violate the peace are caught and stopped, and that is what my amendment encourages. I am pleased it was adopted in the NDAA and hope to see these proposals implemented,” concluded Rep. Chu.
“We welcome today’s historic U.S. House vote for peace,” said ANCA Chairman Raffi Hamparian. “We want to thank Congresswoman Judy Chu for her relentless advocacy, Chairman McGovern for his thoughtful and principled leadership of the Rules Committee, Representatives Pallone and Schiff for serving as amendment cosponsors, and – of course – each and every one of the legislators who cast common sense votes for a stronger cease-fire and the promise of a durable and democratic peace between Artsakh and Azerbaijan.”
Joining Rep. Chu as cosponsors of her amendment were Congressional Armenian Caucus Co-Chair Frank Pallone (D-NJ) and Vice-Chair Adam Schiff (D-CA). The amendment, #97, was adopted by the full House by a voice vote on Wednesday evening, as part of an “en bloc” series of amendments. ANCA summer fellows were on Capitol Hill throughout the day advocating in support of passage of the measure. Photos from their meetings are available on the ANCA Facebook page here:
- Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Artsakh Masis Mayilian Held a Meeting With Minister of Foreign Affairs of Armenia Zohrab Mnatsakanyan The sides touched upon the process of implementation of the plan of consultations between the two Ministries.
- The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group Stressed that There is No Military Solution to the Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict The Co‑Chairs and Foreign Ministers agreed to hold another joint video conference in July and to meet in person as soon as possible.
- Video Conference of the Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan At the same time, Minister Mnatsakanyan underscored the need to consistently ensure the comprehensive security of the people of Artsakh, including through free and safe movement.
- The Video-Conference of FMs of Armenia and Azerbaijan Started The video-conference of FMs of Armenia and Azerbaijan, Zohrab Mnatsakanyan and Elmar Mammadyarov commenced with mediation and participation of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs. The Spokesperson of the MFA...
- Azerbaijani Side Violates Ceasefire Regime Over 190 Times During Past Week The defense forces continue implementation of their military duty keeping the situation under control.
President Armen Sarkissian Spoke on the Phone with the President of Latvia: Two Countries Possess Serious Potential for Cooperation
First Free Programs in the Healthcare Sphere are Being Brought to Life in Artsakh
Nikol Pashinyan Offers Condolences to Japan’s Prime Minister
Kalashnikov Factory in Armenia to Produce 50,000 Rifles Annually
Dolma Festival held in Odessa, Ukraine
Iran's Oil Storage Almost Full as Sanctions and Pandemic Weigh
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
North Korea Has No Plans to Hold Talks with US
Microsoft and Zoom Join Hong Kong Data 'Pause'
Artsakh President Received Armenia's Prosecutor General Arthur Davtyan
Pompeo Warns of Potential Restriction of Chinese TikTok App
The Élysée Palace Announced the Makeup of the New Government
Pashinyan Visits Newly Opened ''Kalashnikov'' Manufacturing Plant in Armenia
Armenian Defense Minister Receives US Ambassador
UK Imposes Sanctions Against Human Rights Abusers
President of Artsakh Receives Armenia’s Minister of Education
Members of US Congressional Caucus on Armenian Issues do Not Share State Department View on Azerbaijan
A Cement Plant Will Be Built in Artsakh
Armenia Records 29285 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Kim Kardashian Calls on Her Millions of Followers to Support Small Businesses in Armenia
Karen Bekaryan: Nikol Pashinyan Has Forgotten that His Mission Is to Represent and Advocate the Interests of His Country
''Nasty Armenian'': Turkish Singer Sued for Insulting Armenians in a Post Addressed to Kim Kardashian
Ancient Armenian Church Surfaces from under Lake Van
Armenia’s Government Should Oppose Turkey Attempts to Take Over Armenian Properties in Jerusalem
Government Approves 22nd Anti-Crisis Program: Unemployed Citizens to Receive Lump-Sum Assistance at the Rate of the Minimum Wage
Turkey Drew Up Plans to Invade Greece and Armenia: Jerusalem Post
ANCA Calls for Robust US Funding for Artsakh
Comment by the Spokesperson of the MFA of Armenia Anna Naghdalyan on the Remarks of the President of Azerbaijan During the Opening on N Military Unit
Armenia PM: Constitutional Court President will be Dismissed, Powers of CC Members will Terminate in a Few Hours
Statement by the Foreign Ministry of the Republic of Artsakh on the Occasion of the 28th Anniversary of the Occupation of the Shahumian Region
Wind: 10 km/h