Announcement: We Call on Armenia Authorities to Stop This Unconstitutional Process
We exhort the judges to remain true to their constitutional justice mission and to change the precautionary measure of [second President of the Republic of Armenia (RA)] Robert Kocharyan. Several dozens of public, political, cultural, sports figures have issued an announcement to this effect, News.am reports.
The announcement runs as follows:
The brutal pressure on the Armenian judicial system, judges and the Constitutional Court raises deep concerns.
We record with regret that the Prime Minister of the Republic of Armenia, the ruling political force, declaring about the adherence to democratic values, insurance of the independence of the judicial system, exclusion of the political persecution in the country, are in fact driven by completely different motives. National-state interests run counter to narrow personal and political goals.
Obviously, March 1  case, which is in the trial stage, will not answer the key question: who is guilty for the loss of 10 lives? This is not a case of March 1 but a political persecution against the first president of NKR and the second president of the RA, an ambition of keeping him imprisoned at any cost.
The disregard of the Constitutional Court's corresponding decision by the court of general jurisdiction, which was a gross violation of the nomocracy of our state, not only remained unpunished but was also welcomed by the authorities. All this leaves us with nothing more than to state clearly that President Kocharyan, in essence, is a political prisoner. Moreover, the arrests of the recent days have become a signal that the authorities will not stop at anything to achieve their various goals and are capable of resorting condemnable means of repression.
This illegal process is not just a matter of the reputation of our state; already today it is knocking at the doors of many. With March 1 referral case there are already attempts to discredit also the military and commanders who have made an invaluable contribution to our country's army and security. We are convinced that what is going on, on one hand, will become a subject of condemning assessments of the CHR judgments, international organizations, friendly countries, on the one hand, will continue to split our society.
We, the undersigned, call on the authorities to stop this unconstitutional process and refrain from anti-state activities. We are sure that the release of President Kocharyan will become a signal of uniting and restoring public solidarity. Today Armenia needs justice and inner solidarity more than ever.
We exhort the judges to remain true to their constitutional justice mission and to change the precautionary measure of Robert Kocharyan. Otherwise, the responsibility will be inevitable.
If we do not wake up, the security of the two Armenian states will be in a serious danger.
The statement has been signed by (in [Armenian] alphabetical order):
1. Ara ABRAHAMYAN - Greco-Roman wrestling two time World champion, Olympic Games medalist,
2. Sargis AVETISYAN - Chairman of the Solidarity Party,
3. Manvel BADALYAN - Former Chairman of the RA Civil Service Council, President of the “Center for the Protection of the Value System of Public Service” NGO,
4. Zori BALAYAN - Hero of Artsakh, writer, publicist,
5. Vitali BALASANYAN - Hero of Artsakh, Lieutenant General,
6. Alvard BARKHUDARYAN - Journalist,
7. Yervand BOZOYAN - Political scientist, political commentator at the Politeconomy Research Institute,
8. Vardan BOSTANJYAN - Doctor of Economics, Professor,
9. Zhanna GALSTYAN - Hero of Artsakh, MP of the AR [Artsakh Republic] National Assembly,
10. Arayik Gevorgyan – Three time freestyle wrestling world champion,
11. Gevorg GEVORGYAN - Politician, Artsakh War freedom-fighter,
12. Zhirayr DADASYAN - Artistic Director of Yerevan State Pantomime Theater, RA Distinguished Art Worker,
13. Anushavan DANIELYAN - Former Prime Minister of the NKR,
14. Razmik DAVOYAN - poet, public figure,
15. Ara DEGHTRIKYAN - actor, RA Distinguished Artist,
16. Lilit TUMANYAN - Director of Armnews FM radio company,
17. Andranik TEVANYAN - Director of the Politeconomy Research Institute,
18. Garnik ISAGULYAN - Chairman of the National Security Party,
19. Ruben HAKOBYAN - Director of Akunk Center for political analyses,
20. Aram HARUTYUNYAN - Chairman of the National Consent Party,
21. David HARUTYUNYAN - Director of the Luys Foundation, former RA Minister of Justice,
22. Khosrov HARUTYUNYAN - Chairman of CDU of Armenia, RA former Prime Minister, RA former President of RA,
23. Hrachya HARUTYUNYAN - Actor, Laureate of the RA State Prize, RA Distinguished Artist,
24. Spartak GHARABAKHTSYAN - President of the Hamazkayin Armenian Educational and Cultural Association Foundation, writer, publicist,
25. Mihrdat MADATYAN - scientist-psychologist,
26. Aleksandr MANASYAN - Corresponding Member of the RA NAS, Doctor of Philosophy, Professor,
27. Robert MELKONYAN - Member of the VETO Initiative,
28. Ashot MINASYAN - freedom fighter, statesman,
29. Ogsen MIRZOYAN - Weightlifter, Olympic champion,
30. Davit SHAHNAZARYAN - Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary, 1992-95 Ambassador-at-Large of the RA President, 1994-95 Head of the RA NSS [National Security Service],
31. Davit SAHAKYANTS - Director-animator, RA Distinguished Culture Worker,
32. Alvard PETROSYAN - writer, publicist, RA Distinguished Culture Worker,
33. Georgi POGHOSYAN - Doctor, Associate Professor at the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of Medical University after Mkhitar Heratsi,
34. Aghvan VARDANYAN - Politician,
35. Meruzhan TER-GULANYAN - writer, publicist,
36. Konstantin TER-NAKALYAN - Editor-in-Chief of BlogNews.
The announcement is open for signature.
The People of Karabakh Have the Right to Freely Determine Their Political Status without Limitations: Armenia's FM
Trump Offers to Mediate Between India And Pakistan
Mikhail Mishustin Appoints Trade Representative to Armenia
Armenian, Russian FMs Discussed Karabakh Conflict
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Croatia Reports The First Case Of Coronavirus Infection
Nikol Pashinyan Is Planning An Official Visit to Moldova
Iranian Deputy Health Minister Says He Has Contracted Coronavirus
Armenian, Russian FMs Hold Meeting in Geneva
Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak Dies
Armenia Premier: We Started Brilliant Ecnomic Year
Karabakh Will Never Be Part of Azerbaijan: This Was the Supreme Goal of My Life and Will Follow Me Till the End - Serzh Sargsyan
Bako Sahakyan Receives ARF party Bureau Representative
We are Working on Possible Meeting of Russia, Turkey and Iran, Peskov Says
Death Toll Rises as Violence Continues for Third Day in Delhi
Israel-Gaza Ceasefire Takes Hold after Two-Day Flare-up
Seventh Coronavirus Patient Dies in Italy as Authorities Urge Calm
Some Roads are Closed in the Area of the Republic
Erdogan Hopes to Meet with Putin on March 5 ‘in the Worst-Case Scenario’
Colombia Congressional Committee to Investigate President After ex-Senator's Allegations
Because of the Armenian Genocide Azerbaijani-Turkish Designer Says He Will Never Make a Dress for Kim Kardashian
The King of Jordan: “The Saint Karapet Armenian Apostolic Church in Jordan is the Testament to the Enduring Armenian History in our Country”
Death to Armenia: Pan-Turkic Fascists in Iran Attemted to Play an Armenophobic Trick
February 20: the Birth of Artsakh Movement
The Jewish Press: Turkey Working to Take Over Armenian Quarter in Jerusalem’s Old City
Turkey's First Professional Boxer Garbis Zakaryan Dies at 90
The people of Artsakh have never participated in the elections of Azerbaijan either now, or throughout the entire history of the Republic of Azerbaijan: Anna Naghdalyan
Syrian-Armenian Soldier Killed in Idlib During Firefight with Terrorists
Garbis Zakaryan - Turkey's First Professional Boxer
‘That Day Solidified Our Unity’: Congratulatory Message of President Armen Sarkissian on the Occasion of Artsakh’s Revival Day
Wind: 6 km/h