U.S. Imposes Sanctions on Iran's Information Minister
The United States imposed sanctions on Iran’s information minister on Friday for his role in "widescale internet censorship," a reference to a five-day-long nationwide shutdown meant to help stifle protests against fuel price hikes in Iran, reports Reuters.
The internet blockage, which Iran said on Thursday it had begun to roll back, made it difficult for protesters to post videos on social media to generate support and also to obtain reliable reports on the extent of the unrest.
"Iran’s leaders know that a free and open internet exposes their illegitimacy, so they seek to censor internet access to quell anti-regime protests. We are sanctioning Iran’s Minister of Information and Communications Technology for restricting internet access, including to popular messaging applications that help tens of millions of Iranians stay connected to each other and the outside world," Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a statement.
- 11 US troops Wounded in Last Week's Iran Attack on Iraq Base President Trump and U.S. officials had said earlier that no Americans were killed or injured in the Jan. 8 attack.
- Iran will not Sign "Trump Deal" Amending JCPOA In his address to the nation on January 8, US President Donald Trump said that members of the JCPOA "must all work together toward making a deal with Iran that makes the world a safer and more peaceful...
- Iran’s Rouhani Apologizes for Delayed Plane Crash Admission He added that "the steps Iran has taken (to reduce its commitments under the nuclear deal - TASS) are reversible and all of its activities are being carried out under the supervision of the IAEA."
- Video Shows Two Iranian Missiles Hit Ukrainian Plane The New York Times has verified security camera footage on Tuesday that shows, for the first time, that two missiles hit Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752 on Jan. 8. The missiles were launched...
- Iran’s Judiciary Threatens to Expel UK Ambassador Iran’s judiciary said it considered the UK ambassador to Tehran "persona non grata" for alleged participation in anti-government protests, escalating diplomatic tensions between the two countries
President Sarkissian Raises Issue of Armenian Genocide Recognition by Knesset in Israel
In Presidential First, Trump Will Attend Anti-Abortion March for Life
FIDE Bans Organizer of Turkish Tournament who Asked Armenian Delegate to Cancel Participation: Maria Gevorgyan
China Shuts Down Public Transport in City at Centre of Virus Outbreak
Armenian FM Holds Phone Conversation with Cypriot Counterpart
"Apparently, Under no Circumstances Artsakh can Become a Part of Azerbaijan" – Armenia MFA
PM Holds Consultation to Discuss Regional Development Issues
Some Roads in Armenia are Difficult to Pass
Macron to Participate in Annual Dinner of Coordinating Council of Armenian Organizations of France
Absence of Armenia-Turkey Relations Challenge for Armenia’s Security: Armenia’s FM
Pashinyan Ensures Law Enforcement will Reveal all Circumstances of the Death of Former NSS Director
Armenia Elected to Council of UNESCO International Bureau of Education and to Legal Committee of General Conference
Serviceman Dies after Falling Down Ravine
Erdogan Says Somalia Has Invited Turkey to Explore for Oil in its Seas: NTV
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Greece Elects First Woman President
5.3 Million Euro for Hazardous Waste Management: Mayor and EU Ambassador Signed Memorandum
Armenia’s Simon Martirosyan Nommed for IWF Lifter of the Year 2019 Award
Armenia a Favorite Destination for Expert-Led Tours
Gor Melikyan Appointed Armenian Deputy Minister of High-Tech Industry
Homemade Armenian Baklava: Kourtney Kardashian's Post Angers Turks
Armenia, Artsakh and the World Around: What the Stars Say
Among His Respective Achievements Alexis Ohanian Mentioned the Visit to Armenia
A. Gundjian, K. Sarkissian Named Members of Order of Canada by Governor-General Julie Payette
Nikol Pashinyan Addresses Congratulatory Message to Armenian People From Republican Square (PHOTOS)
The Hill: Armenian Church of Iran Included in Trump's List which He Threatened to Target
The Biggest Fashion Trends to Wear for Spring/Summer 2020
Nikol Pashinyan, Anna Hakobyan and Catholicos of All Armenians Vsit Army Unit Ahead of Holiday Season (PHOTOS)
Armenia's Constitutional Court Has Been Working under Unprecedented Pressure for the Last 6-7 Months: CC President
For the First Time Ever Istanbul's Mayor Issues a Condolence Note on the Day of the Assassination of Hrant Dink
Wind: 6 km/h