Erdoğan in Talks with European Leaders Over Refugee Cash for Turkey
Turkey has pressed European leaders to make fresh cash pledges to prevent tens of thousands of refugees from leaving the country and trying to reach Europe amid a Russian-Syrian offensive in north-west Syria, The Guardian reports.
After intense bombardment in Idlib province last month, Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, encouraged thousands of refugees in the country to move on towards the Greek islands and the Baltics, in a repeat of the surge to Europe in 2015.
That push ended when the EU gave Turkey €6bn to house the refugees in Turkey. Nearly €4.7bn has been contractually awarded, but only about €3.2bn paid out.
The four leaders had originally planned to meet in person in Istanbul but because of the coronavirus outbreak settled for a 75-minute video call.
Erdoğan has been accused of blackmail by some Europeans for bussing refugees towards the EU’s borders. TV footage showed Greek security guards using water cannons and teargas against migrants who tried to force their way across the border.
Greece, supported by the EU, has suspended asylum applications for a month.
Johnson’s presence on the call marks a British reinsertion into the Syria crisis, after the UK was excluded from previous talks between Germany, France and Turkey.
- Pope Francis ‘Pained’ by Decision to Turn Hagia Sophia Into Mosque "My thoughts go to Istanbul. I'm thinking about Hagia Sophia. I am very saddened," the pope said.
- Comment by the Spokesperson of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia on Changing the Status of Hagia Sophia by the Decision of the Turkish Authorities We express our deep concern about the decision of the authorities of Turkey to convert Hagia Sophia, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, into a mosque.
- Erdogan Calls on Everyone to Respect Turkey's Decision Erdogan also recalled that there are '435 churches and synagogues’ in Turkey. "This attests to our mentality that considers diversity our wealth," he added.
- Turkish Council of State Reverses Decree of Hagia Sophia’s Museum Status Thus, the authorities of the republic received a legal opportunity to change the status of the Hagia Sophia from museum to a mosque.
- Status of Hagia Sophia Can Be Changed by Presidential Decree The pro-government press points out, however, that in the event of a positive proposal, it is assumed that the first prayer will be held on July 15, the fourth anniversary of the failed coup attempt, which...
Russian MFA Expresses Concern Over Situation on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border
Armenian Ombudsman’s Office Sends Interim Report on Tavush Shelling to International Structures
Toivo Klaar Expresses Concern on "Exchange of Fire on Armenia-Azerbaijan Border"
Minister of Healthcare: In Armenia 650 Patients in Serious or Critical Condition
Armenia Extends State of Emergency
Operative Situation on Artsakh and Azerbaijani Armed Forces' Line of Contact Was Mostly Calm at Night
Two Armenian Police Officers Slightly Injured in Azerbaijani Shooting
Wizz Air Abu Dhabi will Start Operating Flights on the Route Abu Dhabi –Yerevan- Abu Dhabi
The Armenian Armed Forces are not Firing on the Azerbaijani Settlements
Armenia Records 32151 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Armenian FM Holds Phone Talks with CSTO Secretary General Stanislav Zas
Comment by the Spokesperson of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia on the Ceasefire Violations by the Azerbaijani Armed Forces in the Direction of the Tavush Region
Azerbaijani Side Resumes Shelling of Armenian Positions Early in the Morning: DM
Armenia’s Defense Minister Briefs Andrzej Kasprzyk About the Situation on the Border with Azerbaijan
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Pope Francis ‘Pained’ by Decision to Turn Hagia Sophia Into Mosque
Armenia Records 31969 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Comment by the Spokesperson of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia on Changing the Status of Hagia Sophia by the Decision of the Turkish Authorities
Armenian High-Tech Industry Minister and US Envoy Discuss Cooperation Issues
The new Stepanakert Substation of 110/35/10 kW Capability Will Be Put Into Commission in 2021
Ancient Armenian Church Surfaces from under Lake Van
Armenia’s Government Should Oppose Turkey Attempts to Take Over Armenian Properties in Jerusalem
Anouch Toraninan Elected Head of 15th Arrondissement of Paris
Turkey Drew Up Plans to Invade Greece and Armenia: Jerusalem Post
Government Approves 22nd Anti-Crisis Program: Unemployed Citizens to Receive Lump-Sum Assistance at the Rate of the Minimum Wage
Comment by the Spokesperson of the MFA of Armenia Anna Naghdalyan on the Remarks of the President of Azerbaijan During the Opening on N Military Unit
The Authorities of the Republic of Artsakh Confirm Their Determination to Seek the Restoration of the Territorial Integrity of the Republic: Artsakh MFA
Armenian Woman is Elected Mayor of France’s Strasbourg
Armenia PM: Constitutional Court President will be Dismissed, Powers of CC Members will Terminate in a Few Hours
Comment by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Anna Naghdalyan on the Session of Supreme Advisory Council Under the Turkish President's Office
Wind: 5 km/h