Which Document Is on the Negotiation Table of Karabakh Conflict Settlement?
When summarizing 2016 one should also refer to the Karabakh conflict settlement process and particularly the document that today the mediators put on the negotiation table.
Though today there are no publicly declared political negotiations, as after the April war Azerbaijan is hindering even the implementation of Vienna and St. Petersburg agreements on confidence-building measures, the mediators claim that in parallel with creation of trust, political negotiations should be resumed.
In the beginning of the year alternative variants for conflict settlement were disseminated in media. Aliyev also declared that there is a pressure on him to recognize Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, declared that he is ready to grant Karabakh autonomy in the territory of Azerbaijan, etc. The so called "Lavrov plan" was also widely discussed, which allegedly assumes concession of 5 regions to Azerbaijan, instead having open communication; a plan, which allegedly does not have any clear implication on Karabakh’s status. This option, however, is not documented and was disseminated only by media, which creates more uncertainties than simplifies the situation.
In reality the developments of the negotiations of 2016 and the current situation was summarized in the joint declaration of the Foreign Ministers of the OSCE MG Co-Chair countries made in the framework of the Ministerial Summit held in Hamburg. "We remind the sides that the settlement must be based on the core principles of the Helsinki Final Act, namely: non-use of force, territorial integrity, and the equal rights and self-determination of peoples, and additional elements as proposed by the Presidents of the Co-Chair countries, including return of the territories surrounding Nagorno-Karabakh to Azerbaijani control; an interim status for Nagorno-Karabakh providing guarantees for security and self-governance; a corridor linking Armenia to Nagorno-Karabakh; future determination of the final legal status of Nagorno-Karabakh through a legally binding expression of will; the right of all internally displaced persons and refugees to return to their former places of residence; and international security guarantees that would include a peacekeeping operation," the statement said.
In this declaration the representatives of the mediating countries stressed that the settlement should be based on the so called "Madrid principles". This means that the issue of status will be solved through referendum, while the manipulations of the Azerbaijani side are directed towards deviating the path of the negotiations the way it is in their interests.
Thus, after the April war, the political negotiations over Karabakh conflict settlement have not resumed. However, when resumed the mediators will put the Madrid principles or their renewed option on the negotiation table and in that option the important element – referendum for determining the status of Karabakh, will not be absent.
- Serzh Sargsyan on Karabakh Conflict: It Is Not Possible to Negotiate with One Hand and to Fire with Another "There must be calmness at the line of contact. The victims have to be ruled out. The manhunt that happens today should be excluded. It will create a certain atmosphere of mutual trust. If you do not fulfill...
- Edward Nalbandian: Azerbaijan's Behavior Seriously Questions Baku’s Credibility as a Negotiating Partner The Co-Chairs’ statement reiterated once again the three principles of the international law that form the basis of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict resolution, namely the non-use of force or threat of...
- Artsakh Republic MOD: Defense Army Did not Fire towards Azerbaijani Village The Baku propaganda machine’s statements do not correspond to reality.
- The Heads of Delegation of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chair Countries Urge to Implement Vienna and St. Petersburg Agreements With reference to the declared commitment of the two Presidents to take additional measures to reduce tension on the line of contact, we urge Baku and Yerevan to accept the expansion of the existing Office...
- Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan Will Meet Early in 2018 The parties agreed to meet again in the beginning of 2018. The dates of the Co-Chairs’ next visit to the region were discussed.
Egypt Opens Gaza Border for Four Days
MFA Of Armenia: Ankara Is Not Ready To Normalize The Armenian-Turkish Relations
Rex Tillerson: North Korea Must Earn Right to Talks
China and UK to Strengthen Economic and Financial Cooperation
Weather Forecast in Armenia : Precipitation is Predicted
Trump Said The Worst People Come To U.S. By Visa Lottery
Trump Says He Would like to Have Russia’s Help with North Korea
Former Policeman Arrested within Case of Russian Ambassador’s Assassination in Turkey
Manchester United is Planning to Sell Mkhitaryan to make space for Mesut Ozil
Syria Accuses Saudi Arabia and the UN for the Failure of Negotiations
EU Leaders Fail on Migration
Donald Trump Thanks Vladimir Putin after his Press-Conference
French School Bus Cut in Two in Rail Crash
Serzh Sargsyan on Karabakh Conflict: It Is Not Possible to Negotiate with One Hand and to Fire with Another
The Next Phase of Brexit Negotiations to Start Soon
UN Warns against 'Sleepwalking' into War over North Korea
Turkey to Open Embassy in East Jerusalem
Turkey’s 37th: How Erdogan Started ''Cleansing'' of His Own Party
Armenian Government Allocated 31.9 Million Drams for Establishing Scientific Research Institute of Chess
Walt Disney Buys Murdoch's Fox for $52.4bn
Armenian Patriarch and 12 other Heads of Churches in Jerusalem Wrote a Letter to President Trump
Russians Should Be Driven out Like Dogs, Armenians Must Be Massacred: Azerbaijani "Scientist''
Tigran Mansurian’s "Requiem" Nominated for Grammy Award
Putin Pushed Erdogan’s Chair to the Ground (VIDEO)
It Is Natural to Be in Artsakh and Struggle along with the People of Artsakh: Today Hero Monte Melkonyan Turns 60
Armenia Pays Tribute to the Memory of the Victims of 1988 Spitak Earthquake
TV Channel Discovery Has Shot 6 Videos about Armenia
Statement by the "European Integration" NGO on Signing the Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement with the EU
NKR Defense Army Servicemen Gegham Zaqaryan, Sargis Abrahamyan, Sargis Meliqyan, Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Lebanese-Armenian Independent Researcher: The Crisis in Lebanon Is Not Over (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 6.44 km/h