Puerto Rico Voted for Statehood with the US
On June 11, Puerto Rico overwhelmingly voted for statehood with the US, however will ultimately decide whether the status of the US commonwealth changes, PIX reports.
According to the State Electoral Commission ninety-seven percent of the votes in the nonbinding referendum favored statehood, an increase over the results of a 2012 referendum. It was the fifth such vote on statehood.
Four plebiscites, or popular votes, have been held to decide the commonwealth's status in relation to America. Three of four times, Puerto Rico residents voted against statehood (in 1967, 1993 and 1998).
In a 2012 referendum the majority of voters for the first time chose statehood, but it didn't go anywhere. (some argued the results should have been considered a "no" since more than one-third of voters left the part about alternative status blank.)
To note in 1950 federal law helped clarify the relationship between the United States and Puerto Rico, paving the way for a public vote on its new constitution. After it was approved in 1952 by the people of Puerto Rico, President Harry Truman, Congress and the Puerto Rican governor, the island became an official US commonwealth.
- Trump: I'll be Putin's Worst Enemy "Getting along with President Putin, getting along with Russia, is positive, not a negative," the US President Donald Trump said.
- Iran files Suit in International Court against U.S. over Sanctions A State Department official said the application was without merit and the United States would fight it in the court.
- Prime Minister Pashinyan Sends Congratulatory Message on U.S. Independence Day I should note with satisfaction the special role played by the vibrant U.S.-based "Armenian community, which is building bridges of friendship between our countries with its active structures and unconditional...
- The Trump administration reportedly drafted a bill to abandon key World Trade Organization rules Trump has been angling for some time to withdraw the US from the WTO completely, though he would be unable to do so without Congress' approval.
- "US laws are the dumbest in the world". Donald Trump "Republicans want Strong Borders and no Crime. Dems want Open Borders and are weak on Crime!", - said president Trump.
US Secretary of State Speaks about Trump's Successes in Talks with Putin
Armenia PM: When Azerbaijan will be Inclined to Compromise, We will Discuss Compromise Limit for us
EU Urged Member States to Prepare for Brexit Negotiations
Trump: I'll be Putin's Worst Enemy
President of Artsakh addresses congratulatory message on foreign ministry’s 25th anniversary
PM Receives Special Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office on Combating Corruption
Israel Has Adopted Divisive Jewish Nation-State Law
Trump Is Looking Forward to a Second Meeting with Putin
Zakharova: Russia Wants to Restore Relations with Georgia
Pashinyan: The Sale of Weapons to Azerbaijan by the Belarusian Authorities Is Unacceptable
Trump Holds Putin Responsible for US Elections Interference
UK Law Enforcers Foil Plans to Kill Theresa May
5 More Countries Join EU Sanctions on Russia
Regime of State of Emergency Lifted in Turkey
Any constructive contact initiated by the parties should serve for settlement of NK conflict, Russia says
UK House of Lords Has Approved Armenia-EU Agreement
New Program for Syrian Armenians to Be Launched by Red Cross
EU Begins Screening Macedonia, Albania for Mid-2019 Accession Talks
US House of Representatives may Consider New Sanctions on Russia
At Least three Dead After Two Planes Crash in Florida
Prince William Got an Armenian Cross as a Gift
A Lebanese Politician of Armenian Ethnic Origins is in the top-5 of the Most Successful Business Women in the Middle East
Nikol Pashinyan: "A Historical Process of Reconciliation Between Law-Enforcement Authorities and Society is Taking Place in Armenia"
Nikol Pashinyan: "Our most important goal is not only to stop the tide of emigration, but to reverse the trend" (PHOTOS)
Feast of Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Erdogan Plans to Involve Ethnic Armenian Economist Daron Acemoglu in the New Cabinet
Comment by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Artsakh on the UN Security Council Resolutions on the Azerbaijan-Karabakh Conflict
Appointment of The Ambassador is Very Important for Armenia-Ukraine Relations: Head of the Armenia-Ukraine Friendship Group
At the Invitation of President Armen Sarkissian President of Italy Sergio Mattarella will Conduct a State Visit to Armenia
Commemoration of the Tabernacle of Old Testament (or the Old Ark) and the Feast of the New Holy Church
Wind: 28.97 km/h