California Police Killed 157 People: One of Them Armenian
California's attorney general says 157 people died during encounters with police in the state last year - and more than a third of those deaths occurred in L.A. County, Los Angeles Times reports. Among the other is 45-year-old Gevorg Alachajyan, who was shot dead in Glendale on March 13. Other details are not reported.
A report released by state Atty. Gen. Xavier Becerra marks the first time California has publicly released statewide statistics on police use of force.
The report said there were 782 incidents in 2016 in which a police officer either used force that resulted in serious injury or death, or fired their weapon. And more than a quarter of those incidents happened in L.A. County, with the vast majority involving either the Los Angeles Police Department or the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department.
With 55 deaths - nearly all included in The Times’ Homicide Report database - L.A. County accounts for about 35% of last year’s fatalities at the hands of law enforcement across the state, according to the report.
Forty-two percent of the civilians involved were Latino. Although black people make up just 6% of the state’s population, according to the most recent Census data, they represented nearly 20% of the use-of-force and shooting cases last year. More than half of the officers involved were white.
A state law requires California police departments to report the data to the state attorney general's office. Though some departments already tracked such data on their own, many did not.
- Soros Makes about $18bn for Human Rights The donation makes Soros’s Open Society Foundations the third largest charitable foundation in the world, behind the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation and the Wellcome Trust.
- Israel Also Withdraws from UNESCO In a statement, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hailed the U.S. decision as "brave and moral" and stated that Israel would begin preparations to follow suit.
- US Delegation to Visit Turkey The delegation will be headed by the State Department's Deputy Assistant Secretary for European and Eurasian Affairs Jonathan Cohen, according to sources.
- Trump-Tillerson Disagreements: Do They Have Certain Purpose? However, one cannot also exclude the scenario, that such a public demonstration of disagreement is a diplomatic trick of Trump’s administration to balance the US stance on various foreign policy issues.
- Neither Erdogan, Nor His Cabinet Ministers Haven’t Accepted US Ambassador’s Farewell Visit Bass, who was sworn in as ambassador to Turkey in September 2014, was recently confirmed by the US Senate for his next post as ambassador to Afghanistan.
Erdogan: US, EU Don't Help Turkey in Terror Fight
Premiere of Dadivank Documentary Film in Artsakh
Hamshen Armenian Intellectual's Wife Detained in Turkey
Syrian Kurds Don’t Want Independence from Syria
Foreign Minister of the Republic of Artsakh Delivered a Speech in Brussels
Iraqi Forces Fully Took Control of Kirkuk
Premier of Serj Tankian’s Symphony in Armenia (Video)
Spanish Government Plans to Dissolve Catalonia's Parliament
NKR President Met with Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia Aram I
Turkey Sets Up Its First Observation Post in Idlib
Tusk Rules Out Any EU Action Over Catalonia
EU to Reduce Financial Assistance to Turkey
RF Premier Dmitry Medvedev to Arrive in Armenia on Official Visit
NKR Defense Army Serviceman Tigran Khachatryan Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Iraq Warns Foreign Oil Companies Against Contracts With Kurdistan
Artsakh Republic President Visited in Brussels the Office of the European Friends of Armenia Organization
NKR Defense Army Soldier Fatally Wounded
Azerbaijani MFA Considered Including Famous CNN Showman in Its Black List
Turkey Welcomes Cooperation with Iran Against the Iraqi KRG
Nalbandian: Azerbaijan Refuses to Reiterate the Principles of Karabakh Conflict Resolution
Being Afraid of Armenian Official, Azerbaijani Defense Minister Hides Behind the Flag
Georgians Would Die of Envy: BBC Travel Correspondent Told a Joke about Armenians, Georgians and Azeris
President Presents Geneva Talk’s Outcome at the Meeting with Armenian Community in Switzerland
Luis R. Corteguera: Declaration of Independence by Catalonia Might Move Madrid to Apply Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution (EXCLUSIVE)
Catalan Independence Referendum: Opinions from Catalonia (EXCLUSIVE)
The Armenian Delegation Called on Turkey for a Dialogue on the Issue of the Construction of Reservoirs on Araks: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
Knyaz Hasanov: Iraqi Kurdistan Leadership Should Sit Down for Dialogue with the Iraqi Authorities
Armenian Delegates Talked About Issues of Refugees and Cyber Security at the OSCE PA Meeting: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
On the Occasion of the 26th Anniversary of Armenia’s Independence President Sargsyan Visited the Erablur Pantheon
Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan Discussed Issues Related to the Organization of the Upcoming Meeting of Presidents
Wind: 11.27 km/h