California Police Killed 157 People: One of Them Armenian
California's attorney general says 157 people died during encounters with police in the state last year - and more than a third of those deaths occurred in L.A. County, Los Angeles Times reports. Among the other is 45-year-old Gevorg Alachajyan, who was shot dead in Glendale on March 13. Other details are not reported.
A report released by state Atty. Gen. Xavier Becerra marks the first time California has publicly released statewide statistics on police use of force.
The report said there were 782 incidents in 2016 in which a police officer either used force that resulted in serious injury or death, or fired their weapon. And more than a quarter of those incidents happened in L.A. County, with the vast majority involving either the Los Angeles Police Department or the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department.
With 55 deaths - nearly all included in The Times’ Homicide Report database - L.A. County accounts for about 35% of last year’s fatalities at the hands of law enforcement across the state, according to the report.
Forty-two percent of the civilians involved were Latino. Although black people make up just 6% of the state’s population, according to the most recent Census data, they represented nearly 20% of the use-of-force and shooting cases last year. More than half of the officers involved were white.
A state law requires California police departments to report the data to the state attorney general's office. Though some departments already tracked such data on their own, many did not.
- McCain Blasts Trump for Congratulating Putin on ''Sham''Election Win The Republican chair of the House Foreign Affairs Committee also slammed Trump for making the call.
- White House Explains Why Trump Didn’t Congratulate Putin on Election Deputy press secretary Hogan Gidley told reporters that the Trump administration will work to cultivate the relationship they have with Russia.
- Artsakh Develops Relations with the USA at Different Levels The visit of Artsakh President and other high-level officials to the US and the meetings are especially prioritized when considered in the following three levels.
- Mike Pompeo: the Most Conservative US State Secretary? In this context it is interesting that his most favorite book is Ayn Rand’s novel Atlas Shrugged, which depicts "a dystopian United States in which private businesses suffer under increasingly burdensome...
- NKR President Met With the Representatives of Ramkavar Azatakan Party in Washington The meetings addressed diverse issues related to the Artsakh domestic and foreign policy, the Artsakh-Diaspora cooperation, developing and deepening the USA-Artsakh ties.
Final Stage of “I Am the Guide of My City” Program in Yerevan
Hearings on Funding Armenia and Artsakh Held in the US Congress
US Lifts Criminal Cases Against Erdoğan’s Security Guards
Bako Sahakyan's Visit to the US Was Indeed Organized at a High Level
China Has Tested Chinese-Made Unmanned Tank for the First Time
Sarkozy - under Formal Investigation
UK Wants to Convince Its European Allies to Expel Russian Diplomats
President of Artsakh Met with the Lebanese Armenian Business Community
Six Peoples Killed in Blast at Czech Chemical Plant
Trump Set to Announce China Sanctions after IP Probe
The Syrian Government Close to Ending Rebel Resistance in Eastern Ghouta
The Armenian Government Approved a Bill on Ratification of Armenia-EU Agreement
Baku’s Attempts to Isolate Armenia and the Ways to Counteract Them
Germany Deports 50 Georgian Citizens
Zakharova About Lavrov's Possible Resignation
Theresa May to Encourage European Leaders to Expel Russian Intelligence Agents from Their Own Countries
NKR President Partook at an Opening Ceremony of an Independence Monument
British Ambassador Refused the Call of Russia's Foreign Ministry
Polish FM Speaks of Democracy Crisis in Europe
Putin and Trump Agree Arms Race Would Be Undesirable
James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma
Why the Figure Skater Evgenia Medvedeva (Babasyan) Did Not Take Her Father's Name?
Azerbaijani Blogger: Armenians Did not Destroy Azerbaijani Graves in Karabakh
Armenia Negotiates with Four Countries over Creation of Persian Gulf: Black Sea Transit Corridor
Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin
Lapshin Showed the Difference in the Education of Armenian and Azerbaijani Children (VIDEO)
Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia: Armenia Plays a Positive Role in Improving Russian-Georgian Relations (EXCLUSIVE)
Armenian Delegation Invited OSCE PA President to Visit Artsakh and Meet the Authorities There: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
Our Delegation Made It Clear That It is Impossible to Have the Same Approach Towards All Conflicts: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
Diogo Pinto: 30 Years Ago Azerbaijan Launched Large-Scale Pogroms and Ethnic Cleansing against Armenians
Wind: 11.27 km/h