Armenia’s Agreement with the European Union Does Not Impose Threat for Russia
The Comprehensive and Extended Partnership Agreement signed between Armenia and the EU on November 24 was perceived controversially in Russian media and expert circles. There are both negative comments, that are the result of misunderstanding of the process and lack of high level of professionalism and positive and pragmatic analyses, that are proving the need and the importance of concluding Armenia-EU agreement, including from the perspective of Russian interests.
In order to have a full understanding of Armenia-EU new Agreement it is quite important to take into consideration several factors.
First, it’s important to realize that the conclusion of the Agreement does not mean Armenia’s future membership to the EU. It has come to replace the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement has been ensuring the legal basis of Armenia-EU relations since 1999, that was outdated and did not reflect the existing level of relations. Based on the new Agreement, the EU is to assist Armenia in making a number of reforms addressed to improving the level of life of Armenia’s citizens, as well as making various fields of economy, jurisdiction closer to the European standards. The latter, in turn, will facilitate the trade turnover with the European Union and the entry of the Armenian goods to the European market.
Thus, partner countries from the EAEU will be granted the opportunity to guarantee an easier access for their products to the European market making investments or creating productions in Armenia.
Second, it should be taken into account that the existing Agreement was negotiated and signed with the EU by a country that was already a full member of the EAEU. Initially, it was announced that Armenia-EU Agreement was going to be concluded on such terms in order not to contradict Armenia’s EAEU commitments. Thus, Armenia-EU Agreement principally cannot have any contradictions with the Armenia’s membership to the EAEU.
Besides, the negotiations and the conclusion of this Agreement have never been a secret for anyone, including Russian authorities. Armenia has always been a reliable and transparent partner for Russia that has periodically informed it about the negotiation process with the EU. Therefore, neither the conclusion of the Agreement, nor its objectives were unexpected for the ally country.
And third, in spite of the existing tensions in the relations between Russia and the West, both realize the importance of cooperation in the context of global geopolitics, and the Russian administration has repeatedly announced about the desire to establish EU-EAEU cooperation. Today the high level quality and the results of Armenia’s political dialogue with the EU are the best opportunity to make at least the first steps of interaction that will provide the basis for further establishment of natural dialogue between the two integration unions after reducing the tensions.
To sum up, all this is very well perceived by Russian and other EAEU member countries’ authorities, that is why there were no obstacles for Armenia-EU cooperation and no negative estimation is voiced addressing the above mentioned Agreement. And the announcements of separate Russian experts are the result of being poorly informed or improvident or maybe that were emotional responses to pragmatic politics.
Nevertheless, in the existing comments the common sense prevails, that gives a reason for optimism that not only Armenia but also EAEU partner countries will do their best to take maximum advantage of this opportunity.
- President Receives Newly Appointed EU Special Representative for South Caucasus and Georgia Crisis Noting that sincere and open discussions had been held in a good working atmosphere with Herbert Salber, the previous EU Special Representative, the President of Armenia expressed confidence that the work...
- Italian Ambassador: Armenia-EU New Agreement Serves a Firm Base for Future Developments We are very happy since it forms a new circle for the relations which can serve a firm base for further developments.
- The Final Declaration of the EaP Summit and Reference to Armenia (Analysis) Summarizing, it can be mentioned that in some terms very general and compromising formulations were chosen in the Brussels Declaration. As for Armenia, in general, the document reflects a positive assessment...
- The Victory of Armenia's "Both... And" Policy Being at the crossroads of the integration processes, we managed to bypass the dilemma, considered to be inevitable in such kind of situations.
- President to Pay Working Visit to the Kingdom of Belgium Within the framework of his visit, the President of Armenia will hold meetings with King Philippe of Belgium and Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Belgium Charles Michel.
- President of the National Assembly of Artsakh: EU-RA Agreement Will Indirectly Have an Influence on #Artsakh "The Armenia-EU CEPA, which sets new framework for better investment climate, predictability and stability of business environment, liberalisation of services and trade as well as strengthening democracy...
- Sharmazanov: Armenia Can Serve as a Dialogue Bridge between EU and EAEU "The Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership agreement between the EU and Armenia will open new opportunities for the EAEU member states so that they will be able to attract economic investments from the...
- Swedish Charge d’ Affaires in Yerevan: New EU-Armenia Agreement Will Provide New Opportunities for Cooperation in Multiple Fields The diplomat is confident that it will be easier for Armenian and Swedish authorities and organizations to learn from each other’s experiences, and for Armenian businesses to take part in the European...
- The EU Is Set for Signing the New Armenia-EU Agreement in November The statement was made with the request of Mediamax.
- What Do Energy Cooperation and Nuclear Safety Assume in the EU-RA Agreement? (Reference) As for the point on nuclear safety, in particular Medzamor nuclear power plant, then the cooperation in this sphere is regulated by sub-point 7 ("g" in the agreement) of point 2 in the Article 42.
Saudi Women Will Aso be Allowed to Drive Trucks, Ride Motorcycles
Joint Consultation Chaired by Artsakh President and Armenian Prime Minister
Russia Chose the Name for the Bridge in the Crimea
Armenian Don Boyajian to Become US Congressman
Egypt Opens Gaza Border for Four Days
MFA Of Armenia: Ankara Is Not Ready To Normalize The Armenian-Turkish Relations
Rex Tillerson: North Korea Must Earn Right to Talks
China and UK to Strengthen Economic and Financial Cooperation
Weather Forecast in Armenia : Precipitation is Predicted
Trump Said The Worst People Come To U.S. By Visa Lottery
Trump Says He Would like to Have Russia’s Help with North Korea
Former Policeman Arrested within Case of Russian Ambassador’s Assassination in Turkey
Manchester United is Planning to Sell Mkhitaryan to make space for Mesut Ozil
Syria Accuses Saudi Arabia and the UN for the Failure of Negotiations
EU Leaders Fail on Migration
Donald Trump Thanks Vladimir Putin after his Press-Conference
French School Bus Cut in Two in Rail Crash
Serzh Sargsyan on Karabakh Conflict: It Is Not Possible to Negotiate with One Hand and to Fire with Another
The Next Phase of Brexit Negotiations to Start Soon
UN Warns against 'Sleepwalking' into War over North Korea
Armenian Patriarch and 12 other Heads of Churches in Jerusalem Wrote a Letter to President Trump
Russians Should Be Driven out Like Dogs, Armenians Must Be Massacred: Azerbaijani "Scientist''
Tigran Mansurian’s "Requiem" Nominated for Grammy Award
Putin Pushed Erdogan’s Chair to the Ground (VIDEO)
It Is Natural to Be in Artsakh and Struggle along with the People of Artsakh: Today Hero Monte Melkonyan Turns 60
Armenia Pays Tribute to the Memory of the Victims of 1988 Spitak Earthquake
TV Channel Discovery Has Shot 6 Videos about Armenia
Statement by the "European Integration" NGO on Signing the Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement with the EU
NKR Defense Army Servicemen Gegham Zaqaryan, Sargis Abrahamyan, Sargis Meliqyan, Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Lebanese-Armenian Independent Researcher: The Crisis in Lebanon Is Not Over (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 6.44 km/h