Trump’s Decision on the Status of Jerusalem: What Are the Main Implications?
Despite the strong opposition, the US President Donald Trump made a decision to recognize Jerusalem as a capital of Israel. Before trying to answer the question what will be the implications of such a decision, it is important to make a brief reference what the developments on the status of Jerusalem have been so far in the context of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Both Jews and Israelis consider Jerusalem their historical and spiritual capital. In 1947 after British withdrawal, the UN General Assembly voted to partition the territory into Arab and Jewish states make Jerusalem a corpus separatum - or "separated body" - with special international status. However, following the 1967 war, Israel captured East Jerusalem from Jordan, a move, which is considered illegal by the United Nations. In 1980, Israel’s Knesset passed the "Basic Law: Jerusalem, Capital of Israel," which was not recognized by any other country, including the United States.
In 1995, the US Congress passed a law that required the embassy be transferred to Jerusalem, but all presidents since Bill Clinton have repeatedly signed a six-month waiver to override the implementation of the law, Al Jazeera reports.
The previous US administrations, starting from Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, and followed by Barack Obama publicly supported the creation of the Palestinian state based on the two-state solution (an independent State of Palestine alongside the State of Israel), which was put forward in the 2003 Road map for peace. The Road map was suggested by the Quartet on the Middle East the United States, the European Union, Russia and the United Nations and was originally drafted by the U.S. Foreign Service Officer Donald Blome. According to the plan, the status of the Jerusalem should have been decided in the third phase of the negotiations along with the issues of refugees and settlements; however the process reached a deadlock in the first stage.
So what are the main implications of Trump’s such a decision on the status of Jerusalem.
- Trump has once more proved that it can go against the traditional policies previously conducted both by Democrats as well as Republicans,
- It once more proved the power of lobbing in foreign relations,
- It will undermine the US role as an impartial mediator in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict,
- It can potentially become a cause of further tension between Arabs and Jews,
- The decision will become another reason for misunderstanding between the US European allies and several countries of the Arab world,
- The decision will also become another reason for tension between the US and its NATO ally Turkey, which has already threatened to break diplomatic ties with Israel.
- Tramp's Decision on Jerusalem Revealed a Number of Changes in the Region Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel has clearly demonstrated that Palestine no longer needs resources to impose something on Israel through intifada, and that any change in...
- Trump Is not Going to Move US Embassy to Jerusalem in 2018 Trump's statement comes after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announcement that he expected the controversial move to happen by then.
- Turkey's Erdogan and Pope Francis Discuss Status Over Jerusalem The president and pope also agreed to hold a meeting in the near future to discuss the issue of Jerusalem, bilateral relations and international developments, presidential sources added.
- Palestine Calls for the Emergency Meeting of the United Nations General Assembly "We are moving within 48 hours ... to call for an emergency meeting of the General Assembly," al-Maliki told reporters in Ramallah.
- Will the OIC Summit Results Change the Situation Created Over Jerusalem? In general, as the summits of the Arab League and the Organization of the Islamic Cooperation (OIC), as well as the separate reaction of Arab and Islamic countries show, the Arab-Muslim world fails to...
- Mike Pompeo: the Most Conservative US State Secretary? In this context it is interesting that his most favorite book is Ayn Rand’s novel Atlas Shrugged, which depicts "a dystopian United States in which private businesses suffer under increasingly burdensome...
- NKR President Met With the Representatives of Ramkavar Azatakan Party in Washington The meetings addressed diverse issues related to the Artsakh domestic and foreign policy, the Artsakh-Diaspora cooperation, developing and deepening the USA-Artsakh ties.
- Artsakh President Was Awarded with "Mesrop Mashtots" Order Bako Sahakyan also recognized the important role of the U.S. Armenian organisations in international recognition of Artsakh and making our country recognizable worldwide.
- Washington: Bako Sahakyan Visited the Headquarters of ANCA President Sahakyan highlighted the ANCA's activity in solving various national issues conveying gratitude for constantly keeping the Artsakh-related issues in the spotlight of attention.
- NKR President Bako Sahakyan Made a Speech at the US Congress The President accentuated Washington's considerable contribution in maintaining peace and stability in our region, in peaceful and just solution of the Azerbaijani-Karabakh conflict.
Iran Arrests Ahmadinejad’s Close Ally and Ex-Vice President
Voting for Presidential Election Starts in Russia
Sunday of Advent
Armenians in Olympic Games and Varazdat: Armenian King Who Won a Gold Medal
Merkel and Macron Plan Roadmap on Euro Zone Reform
PACE Eliminates Turkish from the List of Working Languages
NKR Defense Army: During the Past Week Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime About 250 Times
James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma
EU-USA ''Metal War'' Will Cause New Intrigues
70 Racers from Armenia, Georgia and Iran to Take Part in International Car Race in Armenia
Mike Pompeo: the Most Conservative US State Secretary?
RA President Congratulated His Chinese Counterpart
Two Armenians Killed in Los Angeles Shooting
Russia Has Expelled 23 British Diplomats
Perspectives of IT Sector Development in Artsakh Were Discussed
Armenian Chess Players Participate in Individual Championship of Europe
New Secretary of State: Will the US Foreign Policy Become More Agressive?
A Turkish Bombing Raid Struck the Main Hospital in Afrin: At Least 16 Civilians Killed
RA President Met with the Upper Board of Armenia’s Supreme Judicial Council
Xi Jinping Re-Elected as China’s President
Why the Figure Skater Evgenia Medvedeva (Babasyan) Did Not Take Her Father's Name?
Armenian President Schools Azeri Diplomat on History at Munich Security Conference
Azerbaijani Blogger: Armenians Did not Destroy Azerbaijani Graves in Karabakh
February 20: the Birth of Artsakh Movement
President Attends Bookinist Bookstore on the Occasion of Book Giving Day
Armenia Negotiates with Four Countries over Creation of Persian Gulf: Black Sea Transit Corridor
Serzh Sargsyan: Azerbaijan’s Position Regarding the Nagorno Karabakh Issue is a Flagrant Violation of the Helsinki Spirit
Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin
James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma
Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia: Armenia Plays a Positive Role in Improving Russian-Georgian Relations (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 11.27 km/h