Trump’s Decision on the Status of Jerusalem: What Are the Main Implications?
Despite the strong opposition, the US President Donald Trump made a decision to recognize Jerusalem as a capital of Israel. Before trying to answer the question what will be the implications of such a decision, it is important to make a brief reference what the developments on the status of Jerusalem have been so far in the context of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Both Jews and Israelis consider Jerusalem their historical and spiritual capital. In 1947 after British withdrawal, the UN General Assembly voted to partition the territory into Arab and Jewish states make Jerusalem a corpus separatum - or "separated body" - with special international status. However, following the 1967 war, Israel captured East Jerusalem from Jordan, a move, which is considered illegal by the United Nations. In 1980, Israel’s Knesset passed the "Basic Law: Jerusalem, Capital of Israel," which was not recognized by any other country, including the United States.
In 1995, the US Congress passed a law that required the embassy be transferred to Jerusalem, but all presidents since Bill Clinton have repeatedly signed a six-month waiver to override the implementation of the law, Al Jazeera reports.
The previous US administrations, starting from Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, and followed by Barack Obama publicly supported the creation of the Palestinian state based on the two-state solution (an independent State of Palestine alongside the State of Israel), which was put forward in the 2003 Road map for peace. The Road map was suggested by the Quartet on the Middle East the United States, the European Union, Russia and the United Nations and was originally drafted by the U.S. Foreign Service Officer Donald Blome. According to the plan, the status of the Jerusalem should have been decided in the third phase of the negotiations along with the issues of refugees and settlements; however the process reached a deadlock in the first stage.
So what are the main implications of Trump’s such a decision on the status of Jerusalem.
- Trump has once more proved that it can go against the traditional policies previously conducted both by Democrats as well as Republicans,
- It once more proved the power of lobbing in foreign relations,
- It will undermine the US role as an impartial mediator in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict,
- It can potentially become a cause of further tension between Arabs and Jews,
- The decision will become another reason for misunderstanding between the US European allies and several countries of the Arab world,
- The decision will also become another reason for tension between the US and its NATO ally Turkey, which has already threatened to break diplomatic ties with Israel.
- Hamas and Israel Agree to Return to a Ceasefire in Gaza Hamas said on Wednesday that armed groups in the Gaza Strip had agreed to a deal with Israel following a night of air strikes targeting several Hamas and Islamic Jihad positions in the coastal enclave.
- Israel May Restrict Access to Jerusalem for Muslims from the Gaza Strip According to the source, this ban will effectively prevent Muslims living in the Gaza Strip from visiting the Al-Aqsa Mosque – the third holiest site in Islam located in the Old City of Jerusalem.
- Israel Bombs Gaza Port, Hamas Tunnel The strikes were carried out in response to an incident earlier in the day in which Gazans sneaked across the border and destroyed an Israeli sniper’s nest.
- UN Asks 24.6 Million US Dollars for Palestinians in Gaza The source reports that the request for the allocation of funds was received from the humanitarian coordinator in the occupied Palestinian territories Jamie Macgoldrick.
- Israeli Attacked Hamas Military Compounds Four different targets were attacked, including buildings, infrastructure, and a weapons production facility.
- Prime Minister Pashinyan Sends Congratulatory Message on U.S. Independence Day I should note with satisfaction the special role played by the vibrant U.S.-based "Armenian community, which is building bridges of friendship between our countries with its active structures and unconditional...
- The Trump administration reportedly drafted a bill to abandon key World Trade Organization rules Trump has been angling for some time to withdraw the US from the WTO completely, though he would be unable to do so without Congress' approval.
- "US laws are the dumbest in the world". Donald Trump "Republicans want Strong Borders and no Crime. Dems want Open Borders and are weak on Crime!", - said president Trump.
- Bill Shine, Former Fox News Co-President, to Take on Senior Communications Role at White House Sources tell Fox News that Shine has discussed a White House position with Trump on two other occasions, but both times the potential appointment fell through.
- Trump Plans July Meeting With Vladimir Putin President Donald Trump is planning to meet with Vladimir Putin, the president of Russia, during Trump’s visit to Europe next month.
Paris Turns to Violence after France’s World Cup Victory Over Croatia
Israeli Rockets Strike Military Position Near Aleppo
President Armen Sarkissian Met with the Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani
What Does Armenian Prime Minister Expect from EU?
Trump Criticises Obama over US 2016 Election Hack
Putin, Erdogan Discuss Joint Steps in Syria
Theresa May warns there could be 'no Brexit at all' - Mail on Sunday
Armen Sarkissian Sent a Congratulatory Message to the Emmanuel Macron on the Occasion of National Holiday of France
Israeli PM responds to letter of Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem
Commemoration of the Apostle Thaddeus and the Virgin Sandoukht
Fifa World Cup 2018: Belgium v England
What is an ideal outcome of Trump-Putin meeting? Russian FM tells Larry King
President Armen Sarkissian Left for Moscow
PM Meets with Belgian-Armenian Businessmen
Azerbaijan Fired Shots at Armenian Town at Night
Trump Says Iran Will Seek Fresh Deal
Stoltenberg: Allies Have Heard Trump's Defense Budget Message Loud and Clear
Kim Jong Un Sends Trump a ''Very Nice'' Letter
Armenian PM: It Would be Useful if NATO Sent Strong Message to Azerbaijan
Memorandum of the Artsakh Republic Foreign Ministry Published on the UN Official Website
Prince William Got an Armenian Cross as a Gift
A Lebanese Politician of Armenian Ethnic Origins is in the top-5 of the Most Successful Business Women in the Middle East
Nikol Pashinyan: "A Historical Process of Reconciliation Between Law-Enforcement Authorities and Society is Taking Place in Armenia"
Newlywed Foreigners Apply for Artsakh Visa with Bride Wearing a Wedding Dress
Feast of Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Developments in Georgia: The Reasons of Prime Minister's Resignation and Prospects of Changes in the Country
Nikol Pashinyan: "Our most important goal is not only to stop the tide of emigration, but to reverse the trend" (PHOTOS)
Israel Defense Minister Cancels Azerbaijan Visit
Artsrun Hovhannisyan: The Activity of Azerbaijani Farmers and Shepherds is From Now on Threatened Due to "Liberator" Hasanov
Erdogan Plans to Involve Ethnic Armenian Economist Daron Acemoglu in the New Cabinet
Wind: 17.70 km/h