Artsakh's Foreign Policy of 2017: Innovative Approaches Should Be Developed
About two-dozen visits from foreign delegations to Artsakh, Artsakh Days in France, constitutional referendum meeting international standards, with 104 international observers, successful international conferences: in 2017 Artsakh continued to develop its foreign policy.
Let's try to summarize the steps taken in the NKR foreign policy in 2017 by classifying them as follows:
- Foreign delegations visiting NKR;
- NKR officials' visits abroad and abroad events;
- Political units that recognized NKR independence.
Before referring to the main topic, it should be noted that Masis Mayilyan, who has 25 years of state work experience, in 2017, replaced Artsakh Foreign Minister Karen Mirzoyan. Starting from 1993, Mayilyan was involved in the NKR delegation participating in the negotiations on the Karabakh conflict settlement. Prior to that, from 1992 to 1993, he was prominent and leading specialist at the Department of Information and Press at the State Committee for Defense of the NKR. In 1993, when the NKR Ministry of Foreign Affairs was set up, he moved to the ministry, where he held positions of Head of Department of International Organizations, Advisor to the Minister, Head of Political Department, and Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs in July 2001. Masis Mayilyan has a diplomatic rank of Ambassador.
In 2017, about two dozen delegations visited Artsakh. Delegations included representatives from international organizations (the EU, the International Union of Socialist Youth), parliaments of different countries (Belgium, Portugal, United Kingdom, Canada), parties (such as the Cypriot Solidarity Movement political party, the Social Democratic Party of Portugal), self-governing bodies from different countries (California, Basque Country). In addition to political figures, representatives of scientific and educational institutions of different countries, including the Berkeley University of California, intellectuals from Turkey, Yerevan State University professors, students and others also visited Artsakh. In addition to working with politicians, the activation of ties with the representatives of the scientific community is also important, because it is an essential way to expand the dialogue with the outside world.
The number of visits by delegations was noticeable in February, which was conditioned by the referendum held in Artsakh in that month. About 104 international observers from around 30 countries (including Russia, the United States, Pakistan, Germany, Bolivia, etc.), 103 local observers and more than 80 media representatives took part in the referendum. For comparison, it is interesting to note that, for example, around 90 international observers and journalists from 15 countries of the world participated in the referendum on the adoption of the NKR Constitution on December 10, 2006. It is also important to state that the observers participating in the elections in 2017 positively assessed both the course of voting and the counting process, emphasizing the commitment of state structures in Artsakh. For example, Frank Engel of the European Parliament from Luxemburg noted: "Despite the fact that the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic is not recognized, I think it can already be called the Republic of Artsakh." Recall that through the constitutional referendum and with the constitutional amendments, Artsakh fully passed to the presidential system from the semi-presidential system.
The second international youth conference "Problems and perspectives of the international recognition of the Artsakh Republic" was also held in Artsakh in 2017 with the participation of prominent scientists from the US, Germany, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Armenia and Artsakh. The number of participants from two countries, the United States and Ukraine, have increased compared to the previous conference. 63 scholars, experts and analysts have submitted applications for the conference.
In addition to the visits of foreign delegations to Artsakh, high-ranking officials of Artsakh also visited abroad, events dedicated to Artsakh were organized in different countries as well. For example, in November Artsakh Republic President Bako Sahakyan had a meeting with a group of France-Artsakh friendship circles in the French National Assembly. Artsakh State Minister Arayik Harutyunyan, in his turn, held meetings with California's political and business circles in California. Activation of contacts with businessmen from different countries is also an effective way of dialogue and cooperation with the outside world.
Newly-appointed Foreign Minister of Artsakh Masis Mayilyan made a speech at a round-table discussion on EU-Artsakh cooperation prospects organized by European Friends of Armenia. In his speech, Artsakh Foreign Minister attached importance to the necessity of activating the Artsakh-EU ties, noting that "the promotion of human rights and fundamental freedoms should not become a hostage to the unsettled Azerbaijani-Karabakh conflict, and the unrecognized status of Artsakh should not be an obstacle for cooperation between Artsakh and the EU."
Among the events dedicated to Artsakh abroad, was the "Days of Artsakh in France" festival that took place in November, in the framework of which French photographer Ivan Trafor's "Artsakh'' exhibition was presented, "Artsakh in 180 Seconds" animated film was screened, a ten-day exhibition of French famous illustrator Silvan Savoy's "Traveling Artsakh" was held etc.
It was also noteworthy that the United Nations (UN) published and disseminated a document prepared by the Artsakh Republic Foreign Ministry on its official website representing the Artsakh Republic's position on the Azerbaijani policy of isolating Artsakh.
On September 28, 2017, the Senate of the US State of Michigan recognized the independence of Artsakh, thus becoming the 8th US state recognizing Artsakh's independence. The 99 Resolution on recognizing Artsakh calls on the United States President and the Congress to recognize the free and independent Republic of Artsakh, to establish economic and cultural ties with the people of Artsakh and to promote peace and stability in the South Caucasus.
In 2017, Declarations of Friendship were signed between the Martyrs of Artsakh and the Dessie-Sharpio of France, as well as between Alfortville of France and Berdzor, Artsakh. It should be noted that, in general, 16 cooperation agreements were signed between the cities of Artsakh and the cities of the USA, France, Basque Country and Brazil, and one agreement between Artsakh and the Drome region of France.
In summary, we can state that in 2017 Artsakh continued to pursue an active foreign policy. This fact, of course, is positive, but in the future, the foreign policy of Artsakh can become more effective and targeted if it includes new directions of activity with clearly defined ambitious goals. For example, in the work with international organizations, it is necessary not only to get the theses that reflect the views of Artsakh, voiced, but it is also important for Artsakh to engage in discussions about Karabakh conflict in the framework of different organizations.
The work with MPs should not only be limited to personal relationships. Different parties in Artsakh can establish institutional partnerships with political parties in different countries, targeting especially those represented in various international structures.
In the work with the political units that recognize Artsakh, there is need to move forward with elaborating long-term and short-term cooperation agendas. Artsakh officials, experts, scientists need to make their work more regular with international research companies, regularly reporting on Artsakh's position on different platforms.
The obstacles arising out of not being recognized can undoubtedly be overcome and managed effectively, if Artsakh develops innovative approaches in its foreign policy by developing relations with the outside world at all possible levels.
- OSCE MG Co-Chairs Again Stress Importance of Reducing Tensions and Avoiding Inflammatory Rhetoric The Ministers exchanged views regarding the situation on the ground and discussed next steps and parameters for re-engaging in substantive negotiations.
- A Meeting Between Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan was Held in Brussels Zohrab Mnatsakanyan underlined that the negotiation process has no alternative and in this context highlighted the importance of steps aimed at creating environment conducive to peace, building confidence,...
- Bako Sahakyan Visited the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Borderline Defense minister Levon Mnatsakanyan, other officials accompanied the President during the visit.
- Yerevan Comments on Reports about Preparation for Armenia-Azerbaijan FMs' Meeting “If there is final agreement on the venue and date of the meeting, we will inform beforehand,” spokesperson for the Armenian MFA Tigran Balayan told NEWS.am.
- Moscow Should Comment on the Russian Officials' Visit to Leletepe It is more than obvious what goals Azerbaijan pursued by organizing this action: to legitimize the return of territories by military means, while using the representatives of the country co-chairing the...
- Artsakh’s International Recognition Continues It is important to once more highlight the importance of developing foreign relations at various levels which will help to make the voice of Artsakh heard in various situations, especially those of emergency,...
- Permanent Representative of Artsakh to the United States Delivered a Speech at Tufts University The event was organized by the Armenian students of the University’s Tavitian Scholarship Program 2018.
- Foreign Minister of Artsakh Meets Foreign Minister of Abkhazia Daur Kove once again congratulated Masis Mayilian on his appointment to the post of Foreign Minister of Artsakh, wishing him productive work.
- Foreign Businessmen Will Participate in Economic Conference in Artsakh He added that economic and social projects, favorable tax field and investment opportunities of Artsakh will be presented to the business circles.
- Head of the Parliament:One of the Most Important Goals Is the Internationalization of Artsakh At the end of the lecture the Head of the Parliament, turning to students of Armenian universities, advised while planning their future to think not only about working in Yerevan or other cities of Armenia,...
UK House of Lords Has Approved Armenia-EU Agreement
New Program for Syrian Armenians to Be Launched by Red Cross
EU Begins Screening Macedonia, Albania for Mid-2019 Accession Talks
US House of Representatives may Consider New Sanctions on Russia
At Least three Dead After Two Planes Crash in Florida
Iran files Suit in International Court against U.S. over Sanctions
Prime Minister Suggests Reconsidering Rental Contracts for Facilities Near Lake Sevan and Bring Them to a Proper Level
Trump: Iran deal is good for Russia, but it wasn't good for US
EU Signs Free-trade Agreement with Japan
Putin: Russia Has No “Compromising Material” on Trump
Trump must be Removed for "Treasonous Conduct" with Putin, Former White House Ethics Chief Says
Armenia PM, First President Meet
Nikol Pashinyan, Petros Terzian Discuss Hayastan All-Armenian Fund’s Further Activities
Putin, Trump Not to Exchange Gifts?
EU is Ready to Help Armenia: EU Envoy
Lavrov, Pompeo Holding Their First Meeting in Helsinki
Princes Charles, William Unwilling to Meet with Trump during UK Visit
Paris Turns to Violence after France’s World Cup Victory Over Croatia
Israeli Rockets Strike Military Position Near Aleppo
President Armen Sarkissian Met with the Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani
Prince William Got an Armenian Cross as a Gift
A Lebanese Politician of Armenian Ethnic Origins is in the top-5 of the Most Successful Business Women in the Middle East
Nikol Pashinyan: "A Historical Process of Reconciliation Between Law-Enforcement Authorities and Society is Taking Place in Armenia"
Nikol Pashinyan: "Our most important goal is not only to stop the tide of emigration, but to reverse the trend" (PHOTOS)
Newlywed Foreigners Apply for Artsakh Visa with Bride Wearing a Wedding Dress
Feast of Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Developments in Georgia: The Reasons of Prime Minister's Resignation and Prospects of Changes in the Country
Israel Defense Minister Cancels Azerbaijan Visit
Erdogan Plans to Involve Ethnic Armenian Economist Daron Acemoglu in the New Cabinet
Artsrun Hovhannisyan: The Activity of Azerbaijani Farmers and Shepherds is From Now on Threatened Due to "Liberator" Hasanov
Wind: 17.70 km/h