Will the Armenian Community of Turkey Manage to Remove Ateshyan Forever?
On February 20, during the meeting of the Supreme Spiritual Council, Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin will discuss the situation in Armenian Patriarchate of Constantinople. This was announced by Ter Vahram Pastor Melikyan, the head of Information Department of Holy Etchmiadzin, News.am reports.
It should be reminded, that on February 9, taking into consideration the Istanbul Governor's letter, in which it was stressed that the state continues to recognize Archbishop Aram Ateshyan as the Patriarch of Constantinople and considers illegitimate Archbishop Bechkian's election and its decisions, a religious convention took place. During this meeting a decision was made to return to the situation of 2010 when the government appointed Archbishop Aram Ateshyan as Deputy Patriarch, it means that he will continue to fulfill the duties of the Patriarch. It is also mentioned that, Archbishop Bekchyan, who was elected Patriarch locum tenens last year, did not attend this Religious Council meeting and he verbally informed about his resignation.
This situation brought a rather negative reaction in the Turkish-Armenian community. During a liturgy in the Armenian church of the Feric of Istanbul, dedicated to Barekendan, a woman named Besse Kabak boycotted the reassignment of Ateshyan to the post of viceroy of the patriarch of the Patriarchate of Constantinople. Ateshyan told to remove the woma immediately from the church. Then the police took her to the police station. There they said that the woman was a guest and asked her to write an explanation, after which she was released.
It is hard to say whether the Armenian community of Turkey will be able to remove Ateshyan forever. He enjoys great support from the Turkish authorities and personally from Erdogan. However, Etchmiadzin's position is also very important: The Patriarchate of Constantinople is one of the Hierarchical Churches of the Armenian Apostolic Church.
In this context we should note that the Turkish authorities do not allow holding the election of the patriarch, referring to the fact that the Armenian patriarch is elected for life, and Mutafyan is alive, so new elections are impossible. However, according to the rules and traditions of the Armenian church, the absence of the patriarch within 7 years allows the dissolution of the Patriarchal covenant.
- PACE Eliminates Turkish from the List of Working Languages Thus there will be no separate translation into Turkish of Committee meetings and plenary sessions. If needed, the Turkish Parliament will assume the costs of the translation.
- Turkish Foreign Minister to Leave for Russia with an Official Visit "Turkey attaches great importance to relations with Russia. Our Foreign Minister will pay a visit to Moscow from March12 to 14, during which he will discuss preparations for the summit meeting of the Cooperation...
- The US Embassy in Ankara Continues to be Closed because of Security Threat Embassy Ankara informs U.S. citizens that the U.S. Embassy in Ankara will be closed to the public on March 5, 2018, due to a security threat. The Embassy will announce its reopening, once it resumes services.
- Unidentified Assailants Vandalize Turkish Embassy Building in Berlin Police closed the Embassy street after the incident and an investigation is underway to identify the assailants.
- Kurdish YPG: Syrian Army Must Come Help Stop Turkey The YPG has called on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s government to send troops to the Afrin region in the northwest, and pro-Damascus militias arrived there late on Tuesday.
The US Calls on Turkey to End the State of Emergency
Abbas Accuses Hamas of Orchestrating the Explosion that Targeted the Convoy of Prime Minister
Turkish Scholar: There Has Never Been a Turkish Race; it’s a Synthesis
March 20 is Celebrated as International Day of Happiness
Prime Minister of Armenia Received Ambassador of China and Vice President of Powerchina International Group Limited
The Delegation of Francophonie Visits Armenian Genocide Memorial
Life Is a Celebration, but Vaastu Shastra Makes It More Harmonious (EXCLUSIVE)
RA MoD: The Life of the Wounded Soldier Is not in Danger
NKR Defense Army Shot Down an Azerbaijani Drone (Pics)
White House Explains Why Trump Didn’t Congratulate Putin on Election
EU to Keep Pressure on North Korea over its Nuclear Program
The New Structure of Eastern Partnership: What are The Main Priorities Today
50 Million Facebook Users Data Harvested for Trump Election Campaign
Dollar Continues to Decline in Armenia
OSCE: Russia's Presidential Election was Marred by Lack of Genuine Competition
NATO Will Move to New Headquarters
The Silence of the International Community on Aliyev's Statements May Lead to Irreversible Consequences
Second Artsakh Airfest Will Be Held on June 16
Diogo Pinto Resigns as Director of European Friends of Armenia
Delegation of Senate of Poland Pays Tribute in Tsitsernakaberd Memorial Complex
James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma
Why the Figure Skater Evgenia Medvedeva (Babasyan) Did Not Take Her Father's Name?
Azerbaijani Blogger: Armenians Did not Destroy Azerbaijani Graves in Karabakh
February 20: the Birth of Artsakh Movement
President Attends Bookinist Bookstore on the Occasion of Book Giving Day
Armenia Negotiates with Four Countries over Creation of Persian Gulf: Black Sea Transit Corridor
Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin
Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia: Armenia Plays a Positive Role in Improving Russian-Georgian Relations (EXCLUSIVE)
Lapshin Showed the Difference in the Education of Armenian and Azerbaijani Children (VIDEO)
Armenian Delegation Invited OSCE PA President to Visit Artsakh and Meet the Authorities There: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 17.70 km/h