David Yerevantsi About the Statue of ST. Gregory of Narek: "This Sculpture is a Phenomenon Within the Limits of Faith and Talent" (EXCLUSIVE)
On April 5, Vatican city hosted the grand opening of the statue St. Gregory of Narek. ''Armedia" IAA presents an exclusive interview with the sculptor David Yerevantsi (David Babayan).
- Mr. Babayan, when you leaned that the author of the sculpture of Gregory of Narek, installed in Vatican, will be you, how did you imagine it, what would the image of Gregory of Narek be like?
- Everyone who reads St. Gregory of Narek should have imagination and faith. And if the understanding of a person is able to accept the lines of St. Gregory of Narek, separate imagination is also necessary to display the genius of St. Gregory of Narek in terms of creativity.
- As the author of this work, how do you assess it - what is the uniqueness of the statue?
- Not me, but the audience can give a more objective assessment. I can only say that this sculpture is a phenomenon within the limits of faith and talent, and they can accept it or not only after they see it. I do not want to impose my thoughts on the perception and understanding of others. Every serious sculptor who creates the image of a thinker and such an ecumenical personality like St. Gregory of Narek, does this with the help of the gift given to him from above. I mean the talent in terms of uniqueness. The sculpture of St. Gregory of Narek hides the essence of man and the Creator, there is also the praise of God, but I cannot force anyone to accept this image.
- How important is the installation of the statue of St. Gregory of Narek in Vatican?
- As you know, I had previously made a small, 50-centimeter version of the statue, which the Armenian President presented to the Pope, who in turn approved it. Pope personally approved the place for the statue in the Vatican gardens. Of course, the installation of the statue in Vatican is very important, and not only there. Narek is s a book that everyone should have under his pillow, and every day - a good day or a bad, sunny or rainy - a person should read this book, because it is a science, wisdom, faith that enlightens the people.
- It is said that each sculpture is like a child for the author. You are a sculptor of many statues. Is it difficult for you to part from your work after its creation?
- All my works, which are presented in Paris, Italy, USA and other countries, are my children. I do not part from them, I share them with my people, because it was the people who gave me my talent. I give the statue to the people trying to enlighten them with the help of sculpture. Thanks to my sculptures, Armenians and other nations feel the faith, my Armenian faith, which helps us survive and raise our children.
Rain And Thunderstorm is Predicted
Trump: Meeting with North Korean Leader Still Scheduled to June 12
Elton John and Armen Sarkissian Visited Rehabilitation Center in Yerevan
Juncker: EU Supports Georgia's Territorial Integrity
Nikol Pashinyan Hails UWC Dilijan as "Symbol of Future of Armenia" (PHOTOS)
‘Days of Artsakh in France’ Underway in Bouc-Bel-Air
PM Introduces Newly Appointed Chief of General Staff
Pedro Agramunt Leaves PACE
Nikol Pashinyan: “The Process of Building a Free and Happy Armenia is Irreversible”
Armenian FM: The Settlement of Karabakh Conflict Should Express the Interests of the Armenian Sides
Memorandum of the Artsakh Republic Foreign Ministry Circulated in the UN
Artsakh’s International Recognition Continues
Turkey to Close the EU Ministry
Yerevan Mayor Congratulates School Children on Last Bell
"The Danube Will Change its Course Rather Than Pan-Turkism Will Achieve its Goal'', Sharmazanov
The Manipulation of the Issue of Armenian Genocide Recognition Is Not Acceptable
Moscow Declared "Adequate Measures" in Response to Georgia's Rapprochement with NATO
US Threats Do not Frighten Iran
Armenia is an Active Player in Iran-EAEU Free Economic Zone Creation
Trump Says the Summit With North Korea's Leader Will Not Be Held
When I Sit Around a Table with Other Armenians, Bread and Wine Taste Differently: The Armenian Speechwriter of 3 US Presidents
Turkish Prime Minister to Nikol Pashinyan
The Works of Armenian Classics Are Translated into Hindi: Hindi Literary Scholar (EXCLUSIVE)
Players of ''Arsenal'' Sing Armenian Song (Video)
MFA: Armenia Has Initiated Moves to Strengthen Cooperation with Israel
Netanyahu’s Son: Turkey Is Guilty of Committing the Armenian Genocide
One of the New Prime Minister's Priorities Is to Effectively Assume Karabakh Conflict Negotiation Bloc
Nikol Pashinyan: Participation in the Snap Parliamentary Elections Will Depend on the Created Situation
MP Samvel Alexanyan to Vote in favor of Nikol Pashinyan
The Time Has Come to Officially Recognize the Armenian Genocide: Israeli Lawmakers to Submit a Bill to the Knesset
Wind: 17.70 km/h