''Garo Ermeni '': Garo Paylan's Mission in the Turkish Parliament
Garo Paylan, born in Istanbul in 1972, is one of three deputies of Armenian origin, who have been elected to Turkish Parliament in 2015. Paylan represents the pro-Kurdish Democratic People's Party.
In Turkey, the deputy is also with his nickname "Garo Ermeni" (which means Garo - Armenian), because from the very first day of work in the Parliament he began to raise questions relating to the rights of the Christian population of Turkey. He even came up with an initiative to recognize Christmas as an official holiday in the Turkish Republic. Besides, due to his efforts, the "Camp Armenia" in Istanbul, which had long been acting as an Armenian orphanage, was returned to the Armenian community. The newly elected MP also decided to fight against many historical distortions in Turkish textbooks, which, in particular, is related to the Armenian Genocide.
Before being elected to the Turkish parliament, Garo Paylan had been actively engaged in social activities, helping the Armenian community of Istanbul. He had long been the coordinator of the Armenian schools projects. He tried hard to find and get Armenian teachers, textbooks and materials, because the Turkish Ministry of Education did nothing about Armenian schools.
Besides, he was cooperating with Hrant Dink and supported him when in 1996 the latter decided to found the newspaper "Agos". Then, after Dink’s murder by a Turkish nationalist, Garo got involved in his protracted court case.
However, the decision to engage in politics was not by chance in Garo Paylan’s career. According to the deputy, he took this step for one purpose only - to change the situation in Turkey in regard to national minorities, and prevent further distortion of historical facts about the Armenian Genocide of 1915 committed by Ottoman Empire.
Recalling his family story, Paylan said that in 1969 his parents decided to move from their native Malatya to Istanbul, where the local Armenian community was the largest one, so that he, his brother and sister could grow in the Armenian environment and go to an Armenian school.
The MP admits that after moving to and exploring the Armenian Istanbul, the idea of fighting for the rights of Armenians living in Turkey immediately came to him, and his main mission became achieving the recognition of the Genocide of 1915, which the Turkish state is still trying to hide from their own people.
- Turkey Reaffirmed: Ankara Is to Be Blamed for the Failure of Zurich Process It is obvious that Ankara has started a campaign of distorting the facts and the reality concerning the Armenian-Turkish protocols to mislead the international community and to blame Armenia for the failure...
- Cavusoglu: Turkey Signed Zurich Protocols with Armenia on Certain Conditions ’’We have put a condition for the normalization of relations with Armenia that this country will leave the Azerbaijani territories and after that the relations can be normalized,” Cavusoglu said.
- We Will Enter the Spring of 2018 Without Armenian-Turkish Protocols: Nalbandian However, up to now, those documents have not been ratified, since Turkey came up with groundless preconditions that run counter to the letter and spirit of the Protocols.
- Turkish Authorities Knew about Assassination of Hrant Dink "We heard from Coşkun İğci, who worked at the Soil Products Office, that [Yasin] Hayal was planning the killing of Hrant Dink,” Yıldız, who is being tried under arrest in the case, said at the 14th...
- Turkey: National Minorities are Under Hate Atmosphere She stressed that after the death of Hrant Dink the issues of Armenians living in Turkey became more visible and discussed.
- Assad Accused Turkey of Supporting Terrorists Turkey's attack on Afrin is related to Ankara's policy which is based on the support of terrorist groups.
- Turkish Politician Stressed that She Wrote in Twitter the Word Genocide As to her tweet about the Armenian Genocide, she stressed that she wrote the word Genocide, and the event was called the march for the Armenian Genocide victims.
- Erdogan Will Visit Vatican The visit follows phone calls between the two leaders who share concerns over the crisis and agree the status quo should remain.
- Erdogan Held a Phone Conversation with NATO Chief The NATO expressed confidence that the best way for solving the issue is an open dialogue between the allies.
- US Deeply Concerned Over Turkey’s Violations of Fundamental Human Rights Nauert stressed that the Turkish government is targeting people whose views differ from theirs.
- The Armenian Love of Aivazovsky She loved him very much and did not require more attention than he could give. She understood that she would never occupy a place in his heart equal to the painting. Aivazovsky in turn adored Anna and...
- "Michelangelo in the Ballet": Armenian Agrippina Vaganova, the Founder of the Theory of Russian Ballet Sometimes the criticism towards Vaganova was not very flattering. For example, Marius Petipa, the French and Russian ballet dancer, choreographer and teacher, wrote in his diary: "Mrs. Vaganova is terrible,...
- Incredible Armenians or Celebrities Who Do Not Talk About Their Armenian Roots Another "incredible" Armenian is the British princess Diana, although she is only 1/64 Armenian. It turns out that her great-great-grandmother was a rich native from the Indian town of Gujarat.
- Gymnastics Skills Named after Armenian Athletes It should be noted, that it is not the first time Armenian gymnasts surprise with the complexity of their tricks.
- William Saroyan: Part of His Heart in Armenia... Saroyan's heroes are simple and not so happy people, about whom he wrote with warmth, compassion and hope for good.
Turkish Deputy Prime Minister: the Aim of Operation Olive Branch Is to Eliminate Terrorists
Abbas Called the EU to Recognize Palestine
President Sargsyan Meets with Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo
Some Roads in Armenia are Difficult to Pass
Iraq to Hold Parliamentary Elections on May 12
Turkish Army Extends Syria Operation to East of Afrin
Henrikh Mkhitaryan Officially Becomes Arsenal
RA Prime Minister: The Eurasian Integration Project Has Expanded Our Economic Boundaries
Trump’s Attendance at the World Economic Forum in Davos in Doubt
Turkey, Russia, Iran Agree on Syrian Meeting in Sochi
The Election of PACE New President Will Create Favorable Environment for Our Delegation's Work: Naira Karapetyan (EXCLUSIVE)
Indian Prisoners Will Live Together with Cows for Curing their Impure Minds
By the End of 2019 the US Embassy Will be Moved to Jerusalem. Pence
Football Tournament in Memory of Hrant Dink Was Held in Turkey
Armen Sargsyan Will Return to Armenia at the End of the Week
Will the New Parliament of Catalonia Fight for Independence
Michele Nicoletti Elected PACE President
International Arrest Warrant for Puigdemont May Be Reactivated
The Priority in the Negotiations Is the Implementation of Agreements Reached in Vienna, St. Petersburg and Geneva
Three People Injured in New York Shooting
Armenian Repatriate from Canada: In Artsakh People Live Happier than in Other Civilized Countries
In Turkey Woman Who Recognizes Armenian Genocide is Elected the Head of Main Opposition Party Istanbul Chapter
Artsakh MFA: Call of the Azerbaijani FM to the French Government to Impede the Visits of the Citizens of Artsakh Is Unlawful
2017 - Second Warmest since 1880 (VIDEO)
Armenian Civil Society Receives €1.74 million for New Activities from the EU
New Act against Iran in US Congress
Syria Threatens to "Destroy" Any Turkish Warplanes Flying into Its Territory
The World's Most Creative Christmas Trees Ever
Statement of Artsakh National Assembly on 28th Anniversary of the Mass Pogroms of the Armenians in Baku
Shastri Ramachandaran: Any Conflict Between China and US Would Destabilize the Global Economy (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 6.44 km/h