Turkish Policy to Force the US Make a Choice Does Not Justify Itself
Just a few days before the meeting (May 16-17) of the presidents of the US and Turkey in Washington Pentagon announced about the supply of weapons to the Kurdish forces in Syria to fight against the "Islamic State" (ISIS). It became another signal for Turkey, which is too "sensitive" about the Kurdish issue, about the fact that the US continues its policy in Syria, including arming and supporting Kurdish forces in the country.
Turkey’s President Tayyip Erdogan hurried to express his dissatisfaction with this decision, claiming that the fight against ISIS "should not be carried out through other terrorist organizations". The United States is aware of Turkish troubles but is not going to change its strategy, considering the Syrian Kurds one of the most effective forces in Syria that can have a decisive role in liberating the town of Raqqa from ISIS.
Erdogan is going to discuss the issue of supplying Kurds with American weapons with the US President Donald Trump during their first meeting in Washington, expressing confidence that "Turkey’s allies would back Ankara, not the terrorist organizations". But the experience of the previous years shows that the Turkish policy to force the US make a choice (not only in case of Kurds, but also in case of Fethullah Gulen as well) does not justify itself: the US is making its choice not in favor of Ankara.
It is obvious that the current tensions will impact the meeting between Trump and Erdogan that have lots of issues to discuss: the Turkish-American relations, recent developments in the Middle East, the role of Turkey in the region and so on.
- ''The Olive Branch'': Ankara Will Not Reconsider its Policy against the Kurds due to International Community's Concerns Due to the developments in Afrin, many Italian political figures have opposed Erdoğan's visit today. The leader of the Left Party of Italy, Nicola Fratognani, urged the authorities of the country ''not...
- Kurds in Syria Call on US Support to Rein in Turkish Operations Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said the operation will be expanded to other areas, including Manbij, where American forces are stationed with Kurdish militia.
- Karen Karapetyan Meets with Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Nechirvan Barzani The parties discussed possibilities and prospects for strengthening and developing bilateral economic ties. Prime Minister Barzani assured of their willingness to deepen cooperation with Armenia and boost...
- Two Turkish Soldiers Killed in Kurdish Attack in Southeast Another soldier was wounded in the attack which took place as the troops were carrying out security operations.
- Will the US Suspend Military Assistance to the Syrian Kurds? So, if in reality, the US is not going to suspend the military assistance to the Kurds, what is the disseminated news conditioned by?
- Turkey Extends State of Emergency Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) spokesman Bülent Tezcan urged the government not to extend the state of emergency over worries that it would cast shadow over the elections.
- Turkish Prosecution Files Motion Against Garo Paylan Seeking to Strip Ethnic Armenian MP of Immunity MPs are entitled to appeal the committee’s ruling, and also appeal to the Constitutional Court.
- NATO Secretary-General to Visit Turkey Turkey-NATO relations, the Turkish military’s “Operation Olive Branch” in Syria’s Afrin, counter-terrorism, reparations ahead of the 2018 Brussels Summit and regional issues are expected to be...
- Turkey-Russia: What Does Their Recent Rapprochement Mean? Thematic coverage of Russia-Turkey bilateral negotiations can be divided into two broader groups: military-political and economic one.
- Russia-Turkey Ties Grow Stronger Despite Attempts to Spoil Them: Erdogan Ankara and Moscow on Tuesday signed a number of agreements, including in the areas of communications, sports and social policy.
- Lavrov: Putin is Ready to Meet Trump Lavrov recalled that during a phone conversation with Putin, Trump conveyed an invitation, and this is not a secret, RIA Novosti reported.
- What Is Behind US-Russia "Power-Game"? The US faces the issue of strengthening its stance and role on various issues, such as Syrian crisis, Korean crisis, negotiations with Iran etc.
- Syria: What to Wait For After Trump's Threats? Russia, in response to Trump's threats, said it would answer to the US in a corresponding way, especially if Russian soldiers in Syria were killed in the attacks.
- UNSC Fails to Pass 3 Resolutions on Syria ''Chem Аttack'' The US, UK and France had earlier indicated they are likely to resort to military action in response to the alleged chemical incident in Douma on Saturday. The Russian envoy once again called for the West...
- A Record-Breaking Number of Women Are Running for the US House of Representatives 309 women across the country have filed candidacy papers to run, beating out the previous record of 298 women in 2012.
NKR Defense Army: During the Past Week Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime Over 320 Times
PM Serzh Sargsyan Calls on Opposition MP Nikol Pashinyan for Immediate Political Dialogue
Pashinyan Presents Main Requirements From Armenian Authorities
PM hosts Catholicos of All Armenians and Catholicos of Great House of Cilicia
Belgian Deputies: Interpol Shouldn't Be Used for Political Persecution, Visiting Artsakh is Not a Crime
North and South Koreas Open Hotline Between Leaders
Lavrov: Putin is Ready to Meet Trump
His Holiness Aram I Already in Yerevan
Turkish Parliament’s Constitutional Committee Approved the Election Bill
His Holiness Aram I to Arrive in Yerevan
Lavrov: No Moral Obligation not to Supply S-300 Anti-Aircraft Missiles to Syria
Assad Returns Legion of Honour Award to ''US Slave'' France After Strikes on Syria
Protests in France against Macron
OSCE/ODIHR Director Commented on Protests in Armenia
Government of Armenia Changes Time of Sessions
Theresa May Discusses Situation in Syria with Xi Jinping
Trump Orders Strikes Under his Constitutional Authorities
Sharmazanov Expressed Gratitude to the Head of Latvia-Armenia Parliamentary Friendship Group for the Ratification of the RA-EU Agreement
Brent Oil Price Exceeds $74 per Barrel
Steven Seagal to Visit Armenia and Pay Tribute to the Memory of the Innocent Victims of the Armenian Genocide
Suren Arustamyan Rocked the Stage in California
Erdogan Personally Ordered to Organize Protests in Germany against Armenian Genocide Recognition Resolution: Der Spiegel
Foreigners, Except Armenians, Purchasing at Least $300,000 Worth of Real Estate in Turkey Can Obtain Turkish Citizenship
The Opening Ceremony of the Statue of the Doctor of the Church, St. Gregory of Narek, Will Be Held in Vatican
Member of German Bundestag: Armenian Genocide is a Historically Well-Researched Fact which Shouldn't be Denied Anymore
David Yerevantsi About the Statue of ST. Gregory of Narek: "This Sculpture is a Phenomenon Within the Limits of Faith and Talent" (EXCLUSIVE)
Armenia: Where the Stars Are Closer (VIDEO)
NKR Defense Army: During the Past Week Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime about 250 Times
Aram Ateshian: ''We Are Grateful to Turkish Authorities and Our Turkish Army''
President Sargsyan Receives Minister of State Attached to the Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs of France
Wind: 11.27 km/h