Non-Implementation of the ECHR Judgment by Azerbaijan Will Not Remain Without Consequences
For the first time of its history the Council of Europe may launch a procedure introduced in 2010 according to which a case can be referred back to the European Court of Human Rights to decide whether its non-implementation is a further violation of the convention. A reason for launching such a procedure is that Azerbaijan did not implement the ECHR decision on "Ilgar Mammadov against Azerbaijan" case.
Azerbaijan's behavior not to carry out its commitments and ignore them is hardly new to anyone. We have witnessed many times that even the agreements reached at the highest level become void in very short time, creating instability.
It is clear that the ECHR decision, which states that by detaining Mamedov, Azerbaijan violated a number of provisions of the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms and must release the latter, is in no way in the interests of Azerbaijan. Most likely, taking into account the effectiveness of caviar diplomacy, the Azerbaijani authorities hoped to bypass this decision, which, however, did not succeed. It should be recalled that recently a number of developments around Azerbaijan's caviar diplomacy and human rights situation in the country took place (the scandal around Agramunt, the disclosure of the Azerbaijani laundry, the adoption of two resolutions on Azerbaijan by PACE), and the Council of Europe's decision became the logical continuation of these developments.
It should be reminded that on October 25 the Council of Europe adopted an Interim Resolution, which says that the committee gave Azerbaijan until 29 November to submit its view on the issue in writing. Unless the judgment is implemented in the meantime, a further Interim Resolution sending the case back to the European Court of Human Rights will be discussed by the Committee of Ministers on 5 December.
It is noteworthy that this process can serve as a basis for suspension of Azerbaijan's accession to the Council of Europe, but its probability is not high considering the importance of Azerbaijan for Europe. This country is viewed as one of the alternative sources of energy resources for Europe. As for Aliev's comment that he is ready to break ties with the Council of Europe as it changes nothing in their lives, this should be viewed as another "blackmail" of Europe.
- Edward Nalbandian: Azerbaijan's Behavior Seriously Questions Baku’s Credibility as a Negotiating Partner The Co-Chairs’ statement reiterated once again the three principles of the international law that form the basis of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict resolution, namely the non-use of force or threat of...
- Artsakh Republic MOD: Defense Army Did not Fire towards Azerbaijani Village The Baku propaganda machine’s statements do not correspond to reality.
- French Court Dismissed Baku's Claim Against French Reporters That Called Azerbaijan "Dictatorship" Elise Lucet and Laurent Richard described Azerbaijan as a dictatorship during the program "Cash Investigation" on September 7, 2015.
- Merkel's Party Has Received Donations from Azerbaijan According to the report, two payments, one of €3,000 and one of €25,000, were deposited by Socar's Germany-based branch on the account of the CDU's district association in Frankfurt at the end of February...
- Baku Wiil Blacklist CNN’s Anthony Bourdain for Having Visited Artsakh Bourdain traveled to Armenia and Artsakh earlier this month to produce a segment for his CNN television show "Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown."
Trump Hopes to Normalize Relations with Cuba
Edward Nalbandian: We Value NATO's Support to the Efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
The Greece Police Prevented Erdogan's Assassination
Weather Forecast in Armenia
Trump Administration to Drop Climate Change from a List of Global Threats in a New NSS
Sahakyan Attended an Exhibition Devoted to the Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia Garegin I Hovsepyan
Turkey Has Released German Journalist
Mkhitaryan Gives Inter Green Light
Deputy Secretary General of NATO Hopes to See a New Momentum in Resolving the Karabakh Conflict
Turkish ''Besiktas'' Is Interested in Henrikh Mkhitaryan
Iran to Increase Gas Supply to Armenia
Russian Presidential Campaign Officially Launched
The UN Security Council to Vote for a Resolution on Jerusalem
Putin Thanked Trump
Saudi Women Will Aso be Allowed to Drive Trucks, Ride Motorcycles
Joint Consultation Chaired by Artsakh President and Armenian Prime Minister
Russia Chose the Name for the Bridge in the Crimea
Armenian Don Boyajian to Become US Congressman
Egypt Opens Gaza Border for Four Days
MFA Of Armenia: Ankara Is Not Ready To Normalize The Armenian-Turkish Relations
Armenian Patriarch and 12 other Heads of Churches in Jerusalem Wrote a Letter to President Trump
Russians Should Be Driven out Like Dogs, Armenians Must Be Massacred: Azerbaijani "Scientist''
Tigran Mansurian’s "Requiem" Nominated for Grammy Award
Putin Pushed Erdogan’s Chair to the Ground (VIDEO)
It Is Natural to Be in Artsakh and Struggle along with the People of Artsakh: Today Hero Monte Melkonyan Turns 60
Armenia Pays Tribute to the Memory of the Victims of 1988 Spitak Earthquake
TV Channel Discovery Has Shot 6 Videos about Armenia
Statement by the "European Integration" NGO on Signing the Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement with the EU
NKR Defense Army Servicemen Gegham Zaqaryan, Sargis Abrahamyan, Sargis Meliqyan, Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Lebanese-Armenian Independent Researcher: The Crisis in Lebanon Is Not Over (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 6.44 km/h