Turkey's New ''Tool'' Against the EU
The Turkish Parliament established its own commission to investigate the situation concerning Islamophobia in 4 EU member countries.
MPs will focus their attention on those states where, in their opinion, "there are the most vivid manifestations of Islamophobia: Austria, Germany, France and Belgium." They plan to get permission from these countries to investigate on the spot. The commission began its work on January 9.
MPs in Turkey believe that the initiative of the Turkish parliament is a kind of response to the racist statements of the Austrians. The latters voiced such accusations in connection with the news that the first child born in 2018 in Austria was a girl with Turkish genetics. This is not the first accusation against Austria concerning Muslims. In June, the former head of the Austrian Foreign Ministry, Sebastian Kurtz, proposed closing down Muslim kindergartens. However, representatives of the Islamic community called this statement unacceptable and it was not supported by the authorities either.
Chairman of the Turkish Human Rights Commission Omer Serdar said that the growth rates of Islamophobia over the past 10-15 years in Europe are very worrying. In 2016, Western countries recorded more than 2,800 cases of Islamophobia. Last year, this figure exceeded 3,000.
The commission investigating the situation with Islamophobia in Western countries intends to fully consider this issue, beginning with insults towards Muslims, acts of violence, discrimination in work, problems related to wearing a Muslim burqa, and ending with restrictions on freedom of religion and attacks on mosques.
At first glance, the basis of such an initiative of the Turkish parliament is the principles of humanism and religious tolerance. However, if we consider the issue in a broader spectrum, i.e. in the context of the relations between Turkey and the EU, Ankara's far-reaching plans are becoming apparent. In particular, the large "cleansing" initiated by the Turkish authorities, aimed at neutralizing the undesirable elements after the unsuccessful attempt of a military coup in 2016, as well as special actions against the Kurds in the east of the country, have been and are being condemned by Europe. The prolonged incidents of violation of human rights and freedoms led to the fact that the OSCE, with the support of the majority of deputies, restored the monitoring process in relation to this country.
At the moment, Turkey, by creating a special commission to study the situation with Islamophobia in the EU countries, is trying, in fact, to neutralize the actions of European countries in the same way, in particular, by updating the issues of supporting the freedoms and rights of Muslims in these countries. It is more than obvious that for this commission it will not be difficult at all to monitor the statements of officials at different levels, which may contain anti-Islamic elements or hints, especially at a time when the migration crisis is considered one of the main challenges for the EU.
The choice of the countries that will be at the center of the commission's attention is not accidental either. A large number of Muslims live in Austria, Germany, France and Belgium, and in particular, the Turks. Taking into account Turkey's influence on these communities, it can be assumed that they will be actively used to exert pressure on the governments of the above-mentioned countries. Thus, Turkey has a serious lever in the face of the problems of Islamophobia, which it will use to counter the pressures of the EU on the one hand, and on the other hand, to get concessions from the EU or its individual member states.
Summing up, it should be noted that such an initiative of the Turkish parliament will give Ankara opportunity to receive certain dividends in the Islamic world as well. The fact that Turkey assumes the role of defender of the rights of Muslims in Europe, can significantly increase its authority among Islamic countries.
- Turkey Extends State of Emergency Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) spokesman Bülent Tezcan urged the government not to extend the state of emergency over worries that it would cast shadow over the elections.
- Turkish Prosecution Files Motion Against Garo Paylan Seeking to Strip Ethnic Armenian MP of Immunity MPs are entitled to appeal the committee’s ruling, and also appeal to the Constitutional Court.
- NATO Secretary-General to Visit Turkey Turkey-NATO relations, the Turkish military’s “Operation Olive Branch” in Syria’s Afrin, counter-terrorism, reparations ahead of the 2018 Brussels Summit and regional issues are expected to be...
- Turkey-Russia: What Does Their Recent Rapprochement Mean? Thematic coverage of Russia-Turkey bilateral negotiations can be divided into two broader groups: military-political and economic one.
- Russia-Turkey Ties Grow Stronger Despite Attempts to Spoil Them: Erdogan Ankara and Moscow on Tuesday signed a number of agreements, including in the areas of communications, sports and social policy.
- Queen Elizabeth II Congratulated President of Armenia I convey my warm wishes to you and the Armenian people and I expect to continue the excellent relations between our two countries.
- Frank Engel: Turkey Will Never be an EU Member The day when Turkey changes, stops aggression against Cyprus, opens the border with Armenia, normalizes the relations with all neighbors, releases journalists arrested on unfair grounds, I perhaps will...
- Trump and Trudeau Discuss Decision to Expel Russian Diplomats The call comes after Trump revealed on Monday that 60 Russian diplomats would be expelled ''in response to Russia's role in the attack'' and have seven days to leave the US.
- Austrian Chancellor Urges to Stop Talks on Turkey's EU Accession The talks on membership between the European Union and Turkey should be ended taking into account the system systematic violations of human rights and essential democratic values.
- Italy Chooses Female Head of the Senate There were also days of talks before the two sides joined forces to make 5-Star Movement member Roberto Fico president of the lower house.
PM hosts Catholicos of All Armenians and Catholicos of Great House of Cilicia
Belgian Deputies: Interpol Shouldn't Be Used for Political Persecution, Visiting Artsakh is Not a Crime
North and South Koreas Open Hotline Between Leaders
Lavrov: Putin is Ready to Meet Trump
His Holiness Aram I Already in Yerevan
Turkish Parliament’s Constitutional Committee Approved the Election Bill
His Holiness Aram I to Arrive in Yerevan
Lavrov: No Moral Obligation not to Supply S-300 Anti-Aircraft Missiles to Syria
Assad Returns Legion of Honour Award to ''US Slave'' France After Strikes on Syria
Protests in France against Macron
OSCE/ODIHR Director Commented on Protests in Armenia
Government of Armenia Changes Time of Sessions
Theresa May Discusses Situation in Syria with Xi Jinping
Trump Orders Strikes Under his Constitutional Authorities
Sharmazanov Expressed Gratitude to the Head of Latvia-Armenia Parliamentary Friendship Group for the Ratification of the RA-EU Agreement
Brent Oil Price Exceeds $74 per Barrel
Steven Seagal to Visit Armenia and Pay Tribute to the Memory of the Innocent Victims of the Armenian Genocide
Atom Egoyan: The Future of Armenia Is Not in the Hands of the Diaspora, but in the Hands of the RA Citizens
Garegin II: Inciting Hatred and Hostility Are Unacceptable
Miguel Díaz-Canel Sworn in as Cuba's New President
Suren Arustamyan Rocked the Stage in California
Erdogan Personally Ordered to Organize Protests in Germany against Armenian Genocide Recognition Resolution: Der Spiegel
Foreigners, Except Armenians, Purchasing at Least $300,000 Worth of Real Estate in Turkey Can Obtain Turkish Citizenship
The Opening Ceremony of the Statue of the Doctor of the Church, St. Gregory of Narek, Will Be Held in Vatican
Member of German Bundestag: Armenian Genocide is a Historically Well-Researched Fact which Shouldn't be Denied Anymore
Armenia: Where the Stars Are Closer (VIDEO)
David Yerevantsi About the Statue of ST. Gregory of Narek: "This Sculpture is a Phenomenon Within the Limits of Faith and Talent" (EXCLUSIVE)
NKR Defense Army: During the Past Week Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime about 250 Times
President Sargsyan Receives Minister of State Attached to the Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs of France
Aram Ateshian: ''We Are Grateful to Turkish Authorities and Our Turkish Army''
Wind: 22.53 km/h