Armenia Is Coming Out from the Zurich Process with an Important Achievement
Armenia has withdrawn its signature from the Armenian-Turkish protocols signed in Switzerland in 2009. In fact, the initiative of President Serzh Sargsyan, which was once called "football diplomacy" aimed at the normalization of Armenian-Turkish relations, reached its logical end.
In 2008, speaking on this initiative, the Armenian side pursued several goals,
- to achieve normalization of relations and opening of the border closed by Turkey,
- breaking "the stereotype of a country with problems with all neighbors", which was actively used by Ankara and Baku,
- to show the international community that Armenia is not the obstacle in the normalization of Armenian-Turkish relations,
- raise the country's international reputation.
As the process showed, the Armenian side's initiative was more than well-considered from the perspective of possible risks and developments. At the same time it was a completely new word in the Armenian diplomacy, which justified itself. The international community also assessed the Armenian initiative as worthy one, which is expressed in various EU, RF and US high-level statements.
The Turkish side, which at the time adopted the thesis of regulating all the problems with the neighbors, could not essentially reject the Armenian side's proposal, as a result of which the Zurich Protocols were signed. However, as for their ratification, the Turkish authorities were unable to demonstrate sufficient political will and we witnessed Ankara's preconditions, which contradicted the spirit and logic of the settlement process.
Finally, making sure that the Turkish side does not have enough political will, the Armenian authorities have gone through the cancellation of the protocols. In this process, which lasted several years, official Yerevan has also used its legal instruments, freezing the process of ratification of the protocols by the RA NA, their recalling from the parliament and now their final withdrawal. In addition, before each step, in the UN, PACE and other influential international institutions clear messages were sent to the international community and the official Ankara. In fact, Armenia was guided by rather transparent, step-by-step moves in the initiation and subsequent stages of the Armenian-Turkish normalization process. Due to this kind of behavior, it became clear for the international community that the side, which broke the process is Turkey, and Armenia is a reliable partner that is loyal to its commitments.
To summarize, Armenia's ''football diplomacy'' is a good manifestation of pragmatic policy, but at the same time a missed opportunity for both Turkey and the whole region. Regardless of the outcome, the Armenian side, with its very important achievement, was involved in this process 10 years ago, and both for the international community and the power centers it is already obvious that Armenia is not an obstacle to the normalization of the Armenian-Turkish relations.
- Armenia Cancels Turkish-Armenian Protocols To note the protocols were pre-signed on October 10, 2009, but were not ratified by Turkey that brought forward a number of preconditions.
- Turkey Reaffirmed: Ankara Is to Be Blamed for the Failure of Zurich Process It is obvious that Ankara has started a campaign of distorting the facts and the reality concerning the Armenian-Turkish protocols to mislead the international community and to blame Armenia for the failure...
- Cavusoglu: Turkey Signed Zurich Protocols with Armenia on Certain Conditions ’’We have put a condition for the normalization of relations with Armenia that this country will leave the Azerbaijani territories and after that the relations can be normalized,” Cavusoglu said.
- We Will Enter the Spring of 2018 Without Armenian-Turkish Protocols: Nalbandian However, up to now, those documents have not been ratified, since Turkey came up with groundless preconditions that run counter to the letter and spirit of the Protocols.
- Turkish Authorities Knew about Assassination of Hrant Dink "We heard from Coşkun İğci, who worked at the Soil Products Office, that [Yasin] Hayal was planning the killing of Hrant Dink,” Yıldız, who is being tried under arrest in the case, said at the 14th...
25 US Lawmakers Urge Pompeo to Provide Considerable Assistance to Armenia
Germania Airline Launches Direct Flights between Yerevan and Berlin
Trump: US Will Not be ''Migrant Camp''
Trump’s Approval Rating Hits Highest Point in Presidency
Kim Jong-un Visits China After Trump Summit
PM receives European Parliament Delegation
Events Within the Frameworks of the “Days of Artsakh in France” Started in Martigues
NKR President Sent a Thank-You Letter to Armenian PM Nikol Pashinyan
Iran Will Increase Gas Export to Armenia This Year
Prime Minister Receives OSCE Countries’ Representatives
President Armen Sarkissian Will Travel Abroad
Bulgaria Ratified Armenia-EU Agreement
Ara Babloyan Addresses RA NA Factions with Proposal of Beginning Debates on the Electoral Code
Erdogan Wanted a Base in the Antarctic
Japan Earthquake: Three Dead and Hundreds Injured
A Woman Can Become The President Of Georgia
Pashinyan and Sahakyan Discussed a Wide Range of Issues on Army Building
Igor Muradyan Died
Three Tasks of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs Visit to Armenia
Private Plane Crashes in Russia
Nikol Pashinyan to Resign During a Year
MFA: Armenia Has Initiated Moves to Strengthen Cooperation with Israel
It’s Already Two Months Azerbaijan Has Accumulated Troops in Different Parts of the Contact Line, Davit Babayan
Prime Minister Pashinyan Attends Gala Concert Dedicated to World Foot Championship in Red Square (PHOTOS)
Alexander Lapshin Claims Azerbaijan Might Be Behind the Death of Anthony Bourdain for Artsakh Episode
Foreign Minister of Armenia Received the Delegation of the Secretariat of International Organization of La Francophonie
Armenians Worldwide Are Invited to Participate in ''Come and Dance the Armenian Kochari'' Pan-Armenian Flashmob
Nikol Pashinyan Attends in Tbilisi the Reception Dedicated to 100th Anniversary of First Armenian Republic
U.S. Secretary of State Shares Enthusiasm about Armenia's Peaceful, Constitutional Political Transition
Some Citizens Were Allowed to Visit Graveyard of Gyunut. Armenia Defense Ministry Anwered Azerbaijan's Announcement
Wind: 11.27 km/h