European Court Announces Two New Decisions against Azerbaijan
The lawyer Fariz Namazli informed that the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) had announced two decisions on Azerbaijan, Turan reports.
One of them is connected with the refusal to admit the lawyers Annaghi Hajibeyli and Intigam Aliyev to the Bar Association.
In particular, the European Court recognized the violation of the applicants' rights under articles 10 (freedom of expression), 6 (the right to a fair trial), and 34 (the right to individual petition) of the European Convention.
According to Namazli, the violation under Article 34 was recognized due to the fact that in August 2014, when Intigam Aliyev was arrested, the employees of the prosecutor's office withdrew documents from his office, pending before the ECHR.
The Strasbourg Court decided that each applicant should be paid an award of EUR 7,500 and another EUR 2,500 to reimburse the court expenses.
The second decision of the ECHR is connected with the unjustified arrest of the human rights activist Anar Mammadli in December 2013. The court found this unreasonable and found violation of his rights under articles 5 (the right to freedom) and 18 (restriction of rights for political purposes).
The ECHR decided that Mammadli should be paid compensation in the amount of 20,000 euros and another 2,500 to reimburse the court costs.
- ECHR Rejects Azerbaijan’s Appeal: What Is Next? The following measures will be either to suspend Azerbaijan’s voting rights and to expel Azerbaijan from the organisation.
- Composer of "The Promise" Movie Song Got Human Rights Watch Award The inaugural honor was given to the late legendary singer and songwriter Chris Cornell in recognition of his song, The Promise. The award was presented at The Voices for Justice Human Rights Watch Annual...
- UNESCO: 930 Journalists Have Been Killed in Last 11 Years In 2016 alone, the UNESCO Director-General condemned the killing of 102 journalists, media workers, and social media producers of public interest journalism. In 2012, the deadliest year for journalists,...
- Poland: Protest Against Aliyev The protesters raised the following question to the leadership of Poland - should the official Warsaw conduct business relations with countries where the norms of democracy and basic human rights are violated?
- Afghan Mukhtarli: Baku's New "Headache" However, the criticism of the Azerbaijani authorities continues by media operating abroad. With the case of Mukhtarli Baku is trying to make Azerbaijani media operating abroad understand that they are...
EU Will Allocate Additional €1.5 Billion to Turkey
Former Macedonian Prime Minister Sentenced to 2 Years in Prison
French FM: US Decision Endangers the Region as a Whole
Artsakh President Had a Working Consultation
Zakharova: Russia Will Continue to Play an Active Role in the Karabakh Conflict
Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Russia Had a Telephone Conversation
Israel May Restrict Access to Jerusalem for Muslims from the Gaza Strip
Jazz Concert Held in Yerevan
Co-Rapporteurs to Carry Out a Monitoring Visit to Armenia
15,000 People Took to the Streets in Paris
Israel Bombs Gaza Port, Hamas Tunnel
Soldier Found Dead in Military Position
Nikol Pashinyan, Demetris Syllouris Discuss Furtherance of Armenia-Cyprus Relations
Thomas de Waal Assesses Artsakh's Participation in Talks Pertinent
U.S. Secretary of State Shares Enthusiasm about Armenia's Peaceful, Constitutional Political Transition
Trump Does not Rule out Possibility of Cancelling Meeting with North Korea's Leader
EU Says up to US to Avoid Damaging Trade Row Escalation
US Imposes Sanctions Against Five Iranians
Armenians Worldwide Are Invited to Participate in ''Come and Dance the Armenian Kochari'' Pan-Armenian Flashmob
France Warns Italy's Future Government on Acting Alone in the EU
When I Sit Around a Table with Other Armenians, Bread and Wine Taste Differently: The Armenian Speechwriter of 3 US Presidents
Turkish Prime Minister to Nikol Pashinyan
The Works of Armenian Classics Are Translated into Hindi: Hindi Literary Scholar (EXCLUSIVE)
Players of ''Arsenal'' Sing Armenian Song (Video)
Netanyahu’s Son: Turkey Is Guilty of Committing the Armenian Genocide
Russian Lawmakers Are Willing to Meet with the Representatives of All Parliamentary Factions in Armenia
MFA: Armenia Has Initiated Moves to Strengthen Cooperation with Israel
Karen Karapetyan: Taking Part in "Negotiations", Which Is Unlikely to Bring Any Solutions Have No Prospect
One of the New Prime Minister's Priorities Is to Effectively Assume Karabakh Conflict Negotiation Bloc
Nikol Pashinyan: Participation in the Snap Parliamentary Elections Will Depend on the Created Situation
Wind: 11.27 km/h