Azerbaijan Is Privatizing the Cultural Heritage of Armenia: Culturologist (EXCLUSIVE)
''Armedia'' IAA talked to Karine Hakobyan, culturologist, publicist.
- Ms Hakobyan, Azerbaijan and Turkey have submitted an application for inclusion of the Armenian duduk in the UNESCO Cultural Heritage List. What is your assessment of this step?
-I'm surprised, and at the same time not. I am not surprised, because this has always been Turkey's state policy, as well as Azerbaijan’s since the years of Soviet Union. By the way, at that time, though Armenia and Azerbaijan were constituent republics of Soviet Union, Azerbaijan was consistently privatizing what really belonged to the Armenian culture.
It especially refers to carpet weaving and music. Armenia was always in struggle, but in the end it was defeated, because the Soviet Union was pursuing a policy of cultural leveling, so that none of the fifteen republics would beneficially stand out. Under these conditions, Azerbaijan which was an artificially-formed state and naturally could not have its own culture had some benefits and Armenia suffered a lot.
- As it is known Armenian duduk and its music element was inscribed on the UNESCO List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity in 2008. Therefore, on what basis did Turkey and Azerbaijan submit such an application
- As far as I know, they want to submit a musical instrument called "Balaban". And the instrument with that name, as a cultural heritage by UNESCO, is not recognized. Balaban is also a district in Western Armenia. However, what instrument they want to present, they can't be the author of it. I want to make it very clear that a culture is created by indigenous peoples who have lived and worked on their native land for millennia. Culture is being created over millennia. Nomadic peoples cannot create culture, let alone artistic culture. This is theoretically impossible. Therefore, both Azerbaijan and Turkey cannot claim to be the author of an artistic heritage.
- In such a case, what preventive steps should Armenia take?
- Of course, the response of the Armenian side to this issue must first of all be based on indisputable facts. As for the preventive steps you mentioned, we need to have our own cultural policy with a strong Ministry of Culture.
At Least One Civilian Killed in Artsakh's Martakert City as a Result of Azerbaijani Bombing
Pompeo Must Insist on Royce-Engel Agreement to Monitor Line of Contact: Frank Pallone
Efforts of United States to Establish a Ceasefire Have Failed: Armenia's PM
Two Azerbaijani UAVs Shot Down in Artsakh
Power Special Detachments Fled from the Counterattack of Armenian Generals and Conscripts
Azerbaijani Forces Took Kubatlu, Approached Syunik's Gates: MOD Representative
Ceasefire Regime between Armenia and Azerbaijan Is Being Respected: Trump
In a Few Days We Will Set off to Defend the Borders of our Homeland- Spouse of Armenia's PM
Armenian People Ready for Painful Compromises But not for Capitulation: Armenia’s PM
Azerbaijani Leadership Have no Plans to Resume Peaceful Dialogue – President of Artsakh
Azerbaijan Shells Martuni’s Martakert Town, Askeran Villages from Grad and Smerch Installations
Starting from 17:00 the Intensity of the Fire Along the Border of Artsakh has Sharply Increased
Armenia Security Council Secretary Holds Phone Talks with Russian Counterpart
Turkish Lira Exchange Rate Hits Another Record Low Against USD
Armenia’s National Security Service Border Troops Have New Commander
Greece and Russia Discuss International Community’s Efforts for Achieving Peace in Karabakh
Heavy Fights Continue In South-East of Artsakh
'Turkey Risks Setting the Whole Caucasus Ablaze'. Armen Sarkissian
1 Civilian Killed and 2 Wounded in Avetaranots Village as a Result of Azerbaijani Missile Attacks
At This Difficult for Armenia and Artsakh Moment, Austria has Reiterated Its Unambiguous Support to the Armenian People: Armen Sargsyan
Armenians in Nagorno Karabakh Will Never Be Defeated: Kim Kardasian Posted President Sarkissian's Interview
Artsakh's Guardian Angel - St. Savior Ghazanchetsots Cathedral (Virtual Tour)
Kim Kardashian donates 1 million USD to "Hayastan" All Armenian Fund
Despite Your Best Efforts, Turkey, Azerbaijan... We Will Never Be Annihilated: Alexis Ohanian
Armen Knyazyan is Awarded with the Highest title of the "Hero of Artsakh"
We Hope Armenians Will Be Able to Defend Against what Azerbaijanis are Doing – Pompeo
Artsrun Hovhannisyan Presented Interactive Map of Military Actions (video)
Experts of the Human Rights Defender’s Office Have Identified Location and Time of Azerbaijani Criminal Ativities Towards Armenian Prisoners of War
Emmanuel Macron Proposes New Talks on Nagorno-Karabakh
MFA Spokesperson Statement in Response to the Statement by the EEAS Spokesperson on the So-Called "Strikes on the City of Ganja"
Wind: 7 km/h