Azerbaijan Is Privatizing the Cultural Heritage of Armenia: Culturologist (EXCLUSIVE)
''Armedia'' IAA talked to Karine Hakobyan, culturologist, publicist.
- Ms Hakobyan, Azerbaijan and Turkey have submitted an application for inclusion of the Armenian duduk in the UNESCO Cultural Heritage List. What is your assessment of this step?
-I'm surprised, and at the same time not. I am not surprised, because this has always been Turkey's state policy, as well as Azerbaijan’s since the years of Soviet Union. By the way, at that time, though Armenia and Azerbaijan were constituent republics of Soviet Union, Azerbaijan was consistently privatizing what really belonged to the Armenian culture.
It especially refers to carpet weaving and music. Armenia was always in struggle, but in the end it was defeated, because the Soviet Union was pursuing a policy of cultural leveling, so that none of the fifteen republics would beneficially stand out. Under these conditions, Azerbaijan which was an artificially-formed state and naturally could not have its own culture had some benefits and Armenia suffered a lot.
- As it is known Armenian duduk and its music element was inscribed on the UNESCO List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity in 2008. Therefore, on what basis did Turkey and Azerbaijan submit such an application
- As far as I know, they want to submit a musical instrument called "Balaban". And the instrument with that name, as a cultural heritage by UNESCO, is not recognized. Balaban is also a district in Western Armenia. However, what instrument they want to present, they can't be the author of it. I want to make it very clear that a culture is created by indigenous peoples who have lived and worked on their native land for millennia. Culture is being created over millennia. Nomadic peoples cannot create culture, let alone artistic culture. This is theoretically impossible. Therefore, both Azerbaijan and Turkey cannot claim to be the author of an artistic heritage.
- In such a case, what preventive steps should Armenia take?
- Of course, the response of the Armenian side to this issue must first of all be based on indisputable facts. As for the preventive steps you mentioned, we need to have our own cultural policy with a strong Ministry of Culture.
EU calls on Azerbaijan to immediately investigate the footage of the shooting of Armenian prisoners of war
Pashinyan receives the delegation led by the First President of the Italian Supreme Court of Cassation
Armenia MOD Delegation Visits Several US Military Training Institutions
Emotions must not prevail, says Kremlin after Kadyrov’s remark about nuclear weapons
Azerbaijan aims for larger occupied territories in Armenia, Security Council Secretary tells Fox News
5-Day Weather Forecast In Armenia
Pashinyan sends congratulatory message to the Prime Minister of Iraq
Azerbaijan confirmed holding 17 Armenian POWs after latest aggression: ECHR
Armenian Defense Ministry’s Top Officials Visit Several Educational Institutions In U.S.
FM Ararat Mirzoyan met with State Secretary of the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs of Switzerland Livia Leu
Artsakh is a shield that has protected Armenia for centuries: Artsakh MFA
Savage Images of Azerbaijani Soldiers Shooting Armenian POWs to Death Are Unacceptable: Spain Lawmaker
Azerbaijan Attacked Internationally Recognized Territories of Armenia: Spanish El País Newspaper’s Coverage
Azerbaijan Refuses to Fulfill its Promise to Release Armenian POWs For Already the Second Time: PM Pashinyan
Armenian PM Sends Congratulatory Message to the Chancellor of Germany
Armenia’s Delegation led by Chairman of Competition Protection Commission Departs for Poland
Secretary of Armenian Security Council to Go on Working Visit to Brussels
Meeting of Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan in Geneva
Meeting of the Foreign Minister of Armenia Ararat Mirzoyan with the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chair of France Brice Roquefeuil
Ararat Mirzoyan had a meeting with Philip Reeker
Azerbaijan Returns Five POWs to Armenian Side
Azeri Propaganda Spreads Fake Videos, Old Gootage From 2020 War
Erdogan and Pashinyan may meet soon: Rubinyan
Mutual recognition of territorial integrity must be basis of peace treaty: Pashinyan
EU Condemns Russian Annexation, will Never Accept "Illegal" Referendums
Meeting of Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Iran
Pashinyan Meets with UN Secretary General António Guterres
Latest Events on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border Have Nothing to Do with Karabakh: Putin
We Call on Azerbaijan to Return the Troops to their Initial Positions: US Embassy to Armenia
Pashinyan Presents the Consequences of Azerbaijan's Aggression to the President of Slovenia
Wind: 2.57 km/h