EU Political Crisis or "Right Turn" in Europe
In the recent years, nationalism and eurosceptism have become more and more popular among the EU member countries. However, the radical moods reached their peak in 2015-2016, when the right-wing political movements won a number of regional, parliamentary and presidential elections in the European countries.
Especially after the June referendum, when Great Britain left the EU, the other member states began to intensively discuss their own possibilities of leaving the organization.
"Rightists" advancing in Europe
In Poland, the rightist conservative party "Law and Justice" winning the parliamentary elections, became the first party to rule alone after the restoration of democracy in Poland. In Denmark the right populist ''Danish People's Party'' with 21% became the second political force in Parliament and in the Netherlands far-right ''Freedom Party'' got the third place in elections.
The same situation was also seen in Greece with the "Golden Dawn" radical party coming to political arena and in Hungary with its "For a better Hungary" rightists. In Austria, the leader of the far-right "Freedom Party" Norbert Hofer even won the first round of the presidential elections in April 2016, though he failed to win the presidential race.
Interesting developments were witnessed in France and Italy. After Francois Hollande, the most likely candidate for the next president of France is the "National Front" party leader Marine Le Pen, who is known for her extremely radical, anti-EU and anti-migration views. After achieving great success in the French regional elections, Le Pen is now considered the favorite of the 2017 presidential elections.
"Europe will never be again the Europe we used to know. It will become an Islamic republic. If we do not protect our civilization, it will disappear soon," Le Pen said at one of her speeches.
Meanwhile, after Italy's Matteo Renzi resignation, the most likely candidate for the new prime minister is the right-wing "Northern League" party's leader Matteo Salvini, who has repeatedly stated that both the Italians and other Europeans should not pretend that nothing is happening.
"Stop applying your peace rhetoric. In order to guarantee the security of our continent, we should struggle against Islamists by all means," Salvini said.
Reasons for this trend
The ''right movement'' of Europe has a number of reasons. First of all, the main trigger for the growth of popularity of rightists, especially the ultra-right-wing forces, became the refugee crisis, turning particularly disastrous in 2015. The uncontrollable influx of refugees led to a great split in European society, between those committed to the ideas of tolerance and human rights, on the one hand, and those seeing security threat for Europe, on the other hand. The migration policy has become a key aspect in determining the political sympathies of European society in the elections. Right-wing parties, bringing in tough agenda restrictive immigration measures, planned to tighten border control systems ''in defense of European culture and because of the danger of Europe Islamisation''.
Thus an important factor in the growth of nationalism became Islamophobia in the European society and a crisis of the so-called ''European identity''. According to experts, European values are increasingly losing their power, and there the "spirit of sunset" is strongly felt. Calls for the salvation of European civilization are becoming central elements for political statements of right-wing parties.
And the last but not least was 2008 socio-economic crisis that played a role in changing the political mood in Europe. Continuing with high unemployment rates, depending on the dynamics of economic developments of China, concerns about the US economic downturn, the decline in production in the European Union, suggested the possibility of a repetition of the crisis, the responsibility for which the right-wing parties placed on the ruling forces. Thus the ultra-radical movements positioned themselves as the best alternatives to current leaders.
One should not underestimate the role of the media either, with the help of which the right-wing parties became more and more popular, and which set panic among the people of Europe ''fueling'' their nationalist moods.
Although a large number of experts believe that people are just voting for rightists in order to protest against the authorities, the situation gets truly worrying in Europe, given that such intolerance and xenophobia were witnessed during 1930-s when racism and fascism emerged in European Continent...
- European Parliament Voted for a Common European Army The publication notes that the approval of the European Parliament can mean the beginning of a fundamental reform of the Treaty.
- Frank-Walter Steinmeier: Germany's New President is Quite Aware of Armenia's Problems Steinmeier has been considered the main presidential candidate and the absolute favorite from the very beginning.
- Steinmeier Chosen as German President The Social Democrat, 61, is one of Germany's most popular politicians.
- Germany to Elect New President Today The German president has little executive power.
- Fillon, Le Pen, Hamon: The Three Candidates for French Presidential Elections of 2017 We looked through the views and ideas of the three candidates concerning both domestic and foreign policies, and here we have a comparative study of electional plans of Francois Fillon from the Republican...
- Hungarian Parliament to Vote on EU Quota Last month, Hungarians voted to reject EU quotas in a referendum vote, but a low turnout rendered it invalid.
- Cavusoglu: ''EU Must Grant Visa-Free Access by the End of October, otherwise…'' Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has threatened to suspend the EU-Turkey migrant deal unless visa-free access for Turkish citizens is not granted by the end of October.
- Belgian Minister Fined for Refusing to Let Refugees In The court fined Franken with 4450 dollars per day for failure to provide asylum to family from Aleppo, who have relatives in Belgium.
- Turkey and Azerbaijan have Adopted the Policy of Blackmailing Though Germany has said that Europe "must not be blackmailed" over the issue, the interview of French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault to Hurriyet revealed just the opposite.
- "Jungle" Migrant Camp in France to be Demolished According to the source, there is concern that some migrants will refuse to go because they still want to get to Britain, and there have been some clashes over the weekend.
Video Released Showing the Agressive Actions of Azerbaijani Armed Forces on the Border with NKR
Azerbaijani Side Opened Fire In the Direction of Baghanis, Republic of Armenia
RA MFA Informed OSCE MG Co-Chairing Countries About Azerbaijan's Offensive Attempt
NKR President Spokesman: If Aliyev Thinks We Will Not Protect Our Security, He Is Completely Wrong
RA MoD: the Consequences of the Tensions on the Borders Are On Military-Political Leadership Of Azerbaijan
NKR Answers Azerbaijan: How Can a Party That Defended, Leave Corpses on Neutral Territory?
Azerbaijani MoD Confired They Have Losses
NKR Defense Army: Azerbaijani Side Has Suffered Losses
US Reviewing Relations with Iran for Israel and Saudi Arabia
Martin Schultz Accused of Financial Freud
Police Found Substance with which Kim Jong-Nam was Killed
Trump to Expand US Nuclear Arsenal
MoD of Armenia: Azerbaijan Defense Minister Is More Accustomed to Role of Military Battalion Commander
Karen Karapetyan Hosted by Catholicos-Patriarch Of All Georgia Ilia II
Erdogan to Visit Russia to Discuss Deliveries of Russia’s S-400 Air Defense Missile Systems to Turkey
Armenia President Will Meet with NATO Secretary General in Brussels
Purges of Academics in Turkey Makes Remember Armenian Genocide
Six Debtor Countries Deprived of the Right to Vote in the UN General Assembly
Armenian Boy Shocked Jury Members of ''The Voice Kids Russia'' (VIDEO)
136 Turks Seek German Asylum
Sultan Abdul Hamid's Granddaughter Claims Back Territories of her Grandfather, Mainly Those Belonging to Armenian Family
Erdogan Replaced Ataturk with Armenian Origin Painter Aivazovsky (PHOTO)
US Vice President May Contribute to Armenian Genocide Recognition by the US
Trump's Travel Ban May Also Touch Armenians
Sirusho: We Were Given Two Days to Shoot the Video of "Der Zor" in Ancient Armenian City Ani (VIDEO)
Rex Tillerson, Candidate for US State Secretary, Financed Armenian School in the USA
An Azerbaijani Citizen Asked Armenian Authorities to Give Asylum
Feast of St. Sarkis the Captain, Patron of Love and Youth, his son Martyros and his 14 Soldiers-Companions
Mother of Azerbaijani Saboteur Captured by NKR Forces Claims Her Son is Serviceman
There Are Some Unique Weapons in Our Arsenal that Are Able to Withstand Any Attack of the Opponent (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 6.44 km/h