EU Political Crisis or "Right Turn" in Europe
In the recent years, nationalism and eurosceptism have become more and more popular among the EU member countries. However, the radical moods reached their peak in 2015-2016, when the right-wing political movements won a number of regional, parliamentary and presidential elections in the European countries.
Especially after the June referendum, when Great Britain left the EU, the other member states began to intensively discuss their own possibilities of leaving the organization.
"Rightists" advancing in Europe
In Poland, the rightist conservative party "Law and Justice" winning the parliamentary elections, became the first party to rule alone after the restoration of democracy in Poland. In Denmark the right populist ''Danish People's Party'' with 21% became the second political force in Parliament and in the Netherlands far-right ''Freedom Party'' got the third place in elections.
The same situation was also seen in Greece with the "Golden Dawn" radical party coming to political arena and in Hungary with its "For a better Hungary" rightists. In Austria, the leader of the far-right "Freedom Party" Norbert Hofer even won the first round of the presidential elections in April 2016, though he failed to win the presidential race.
Interesting developments were witnessed in France and Italy. After Francois Hollande, the most likely candidate for the next president of France is the "National Front" party leader Marine Le Pen, who is known for her extremely radical, anti-EU and anti-migration views. After achieving great success in the French regional elections, Le Pen is now considered the favorite of the 2017 presidential elections.
"Europe will never be again the Europe we used to know. It will become an Islamic republic. If we do not protect our civilization, it will disappear soon," Le Pen said at one of her speeches.
Meanwhile, after Italy's Matteo Renzi resignation, the most likely candidate for the new prime minister is the right-wing "Northern League" party's leader Matteo Salvini, who has repeatedly stated that both the Italians and other Europeans should not pretend that nothing is happening.
"Stop applying your peace rhetoric. In order to guarantee the security of our continent, we should struggle against Islamists by all means," Salvini said.
Reasons for this trend
The ''right movement'' of Europe has a number of reasons. First of all, the main trigger for the growth of popularity of rightists, especially the ultra-right-wing forces, became the refugee crisis, turning particularly disastrous in 2015. The uncontrollable influx of refugees led to a great split in European society, between those committed to the ideas of tolerance and human rights, on the one hand, and those seeing security threat for Europe, on the other hand. The migration policy has become a key aspect in determining the political sympathies of European society in the elections. Right-wing parties, bringing in tough agenda restrictive immigration measures, planned to tighten border control systems ''in defense of European culture and because of the danger of Europe Islamisation''.
Thus an important factor in the growth of nationalism became Islamophobia in the European society and a crisis of the so-called ''European identity''. According to experts, European values are increasingly losing their power, and there the "spirit of sunset" is strongly felt. Calls for the salvation of European civilization are becoming central elements for political statements of right-wing parties.
And the last but not least was 2008 socio-economic crisis that played a role in changing the political mood in Europe. Continuing with high unemployment rates, depending on the dynamics of economic developments of China, concerns about the US economic downturn, the decline in production in the European Union, suggested the possibility of a repetition of the crisis, the responsibility for which the right-wing parties placed on the ruling forces. Thus the ultra-radical movements positioned themselves as the best alternatives to current leaders.
One should not underestimate the role of the media either, with the help of which the right-wing parties became more and more popular, and which set panic among the people of Europe ''fueling'' their nationalist moods.
Although a large number of experts believe that people are just voting for rightists in order to protest against the authorities, the situation gets truly worrying in Europe, given that such intolerance and xenophobia were witnessed during 1930-s when racism and fascism emerged in European Continent...
- Today Trump and Merkel Meet in the White House When Trump and Merkel meet in the White House, they will have to overcome significant disagreements on such complex issues as the viability of NATO.
- Research Director of the German-Russian Forum: We Cannot Build Europe Against or Without Russia (EXCLUSIVE) If we want to build Europe without Russia or Europe, which confronts Russia, we will have worse than a new Cold War – unstable Europe for the next decade. Unfortunately not every European state, especially...
- Why Is Poland Against Tusk? The Polish authorities accuse Tusk (he held the post of the Polish prime-minister in 2007-2014), of violating a code of impartiality of international figure and interference in internal affairs of country.
- Poland Protests Tusk’s Reappointment of European Council President Poland’s right-wing government opposed Tusk’s reappointment for a second term because it claimed he supported its "overthrow" by backing an opposition protest last December.
- European Parliament Voted for a Common European Army The publication notes that the approval of the European Parliament can mean the beginning of a fundamental reform of the Treaty.
- Hungarian Parliament to Vote on EU Quota Last month, Hungarians voted to reject EU quotas in a referendum vote, but a low turnout rendered it invalid.
- Cavusoglu: ''EU Must Grant Visa-Free Access by the End of October, otherwise…'' Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has threatened to suspend the EU-Turkey migrant deal unless visa-free access for Turkish citizens is not granted by the end of October.
- Belgian Minister Fined for Refusing to Let Refugees In The court fined Franken with 4450 dollars per day for failure to provide asylum to family from Aleppo, who have relatives in Belgium.
- Turkey and Azerbaijan have Adopted the Policy of Blackmailing Though Germany has said that Europe "must not be blackmailed" over the issue, the interview of French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault to Hurriyet revealed just the opposite.
- "Jungle" Migrant Camp in France to be Demolished According to the source, there is concern that some migrants will refuse to go because they still want to get to Britain, and there have been some clashes over the weekend.
Erdogan: Europeans Will not Be Able to Walk Safely on the Streets if the Current Attitude Continues
Artsakh President Got Acquainted With the Reconstruction Process of the Shoushi Culture Center
New Oncology Center Opened in the Capital of NKR
Serzh Sargsyan: Armenia Has Turned Into a Country Offering Sophisticated Turnkey Technological Solutions and Services
Germany Blocks Arms Exports to Turkey
Armenians Love Being Armenian: Davos Speakers About Armenians
Rex Tillerson: My Wife Convinced Me to Become the US Secretary of State
Median Day of Great Lent (Mijink)
NKR Defense Army: Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime Over 35 Times
Joint Press Release by the Republic of Armenia and European Union on the Initialling of the Armenia-EU Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement (CEPA)
Co-Founder of Huffington Post's "Twitter Powerhouses Series": I Like How Armenians Use Twitter
Serzh Sargsyan in a Working Visit to UAE
Congress-People's Party of Armenia Aliience and Their Foreign Policy Priorities: Interview with Arman Musinyan
President Sargsyan Sent a Congratulatory Statement to the Kurdish Community On the Occassion Of Navroz
Ivanka Trump Will Get Access to Secret Information
US Foreign Policy and Trump's Administration. the Youth Discuss
World Communication Forum Davos Launched in Yerevan
New Silk Road Initiative Talks to Be Held Between China and Australia
NKR Defense Army: Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime Over 40 Times
Serzh Sargsyan Visited Alex Textile Company
One of the Streets in Paris to Be Renamed after Famous Armenian Writer Zabel Yesayan
Sumgait Massacre: 29 Years Passed
Mkhitaryan Named the Football Player, Who Masters the Greatest Number of Languages in the World (VIDEO)
Armenian Song For Eurovision, "Fly With Me", Has Been Released (VIDEO)
Not Easy to Be a Woman
Zhirinovsky: Erdogan Said that Ankara is Preparing to Suspend its Membership in NATO
Defense Minister of Armenia: An Understandable and Predictable Turkey for Russia Meets the Interests of Armenia
NKR President Spokesman: If Aliyev Thinks We Will Not Protect Our Security, He Is Completely Wrong
In Brussels the RA President Made Certain Clarifications in Armenia's Stance on Karabakh Conflict: Karen Bekaryan
Cher on the New Film "Promise" which Tells About the Armenian Genocide
Wind: 11.27 km/h