EU Political Crisis or "Right Turn" in Europe
In the recent years, nationalism and eurosceptism have become more and more popular among the EU member countries. However, the radical moods reached their peak in 2015-2016, when the right-wing political movements won a number of regional, parliamentary and presidential elections in the European countries.
Especially after the June referendum, when Great Britain left the EU, the other member states began to intensively discuss their own possibilities of leaving the organization.
"Rightists" advancing in Europe
In Poland, the rightist conservative party "Law and Justice" winning the parliamentary elections, became the first party to rule alone after the restoration of democracy in Poland. In Denmark the right populist ''Danish People's Party'' with 21% became the second political force in Parliament and in the Netherlands far-right ''Freedom Party'' got the third place in elections.
The same situation was also seen in Greece with the "Golden Dawn" radical party coming to political arena and in Hungary with its "For a better Hungary" rightists. In Austria, the leader of the far-right "Freedom Party" Norbert Hofer even won the first round of the presidential elections in April 2016, though he failed to win the presidential race.
Interesting developments were witnessed in France and Italy. After Francois Hollande, the most likely candidate for the next president of France is the "National Front" party leader Marine Le Pen, who is known for her extremely radical, anti-EU and anti-migration views. After achieving great success in the French regional elections, Le Pen is now considered the favorite of the 2017 presidential elections.
"Europe will never be again the Europe we used to know. It will become an Islamic republic. If we do not protect our civilization, it will disappear soon," Le Pen said at one of her speeches.
Meanwhile, after Italy's Matteo Renzi resignation, the most likely candidate for the new prime minister is the right-wing "Northern League" party's leader Matteo Salvini, who has repeatedly stated that both the Italians and other Europeans should not pretend that nothing is happening.
"Stop applying your peace rhetoric. In order to guarantee the security of our continent, we should struggle against Islamists by all means," Salvini said.
Reasons for this trend
The ''right movement'' of Europe has a number of reasons. First of all, the main trigger for the growth of popularity of rightists, especially the ultra-right-wing forces, became the refugee crisis, turning particularly disastrous in 2015. The uncontrollable influx of refugees led to a great split in European society, between those committed to the ideas of tolerance and human rights, on the one hand, and those seeing security threat for Europe, on the other hand. The migration policy has become a key aspect in determining the political sympathies of European society in the elections. Right-wing parties, bringing in tough agenda restrictive immigration measures, planned to tighten border control systems ''in defense of European culture and because of the danger of Europe Islamisation''.
Thus an important factor in the growth of nationalism became Islamophobia in the European society and a crisis of the so-called ''European identity''. According to experts, European values are increasingly losing their power, and there the "spirit of sunset" is strongly felt. Calls for the salvation of European civilization are becoming central elements for political statements of right-wing parties.
And the last but not least was 2008 socio-economic crisis that played a role in changing the political mood in Europe. Continuing with high unemployment rates, depending on the dynamics of economic developments of China, concerns about the US economic downturn, the decline in production in the European Union, suggested the possibility of a repetition of the crisis, the responsibility for which the right-wing parties placed on the ruling forces. Thus the ultra-radical movements positioned themselves as the best alternatives to current leaders.
One should not underestimate the role of the media either, with the help of which the right-wing parties became more and more popular, and which set panic among the people of Europe ''fueling'' their nationalist moods.
Although a large number of experts believe that people are just voting for rightists in order to protest against the authorities, the situation gets truly worrying in Europe, given that such intolerance and xenophobia were witnessed during 1930-s when racism and fascism emerged in European Continent...
- The Artsakh Parliament President Received the Delegation of the City of Bouc-Bel-Air of France "The work that you are doing in Artsakh is very important. I think the work that is being done in different sphered will become the basis for more effective collaboration," said Ashot Ghoulyan.
- Tax War between US and EU "If the E.U. wants to further increase their already massive tariffs and barriers on U.S. companies doing business there, we will simply apply a Tax on their Cars which freely pour into the U.S. They make...
- Sigmar Gabriel: Serbia Must Recognize Kosovo's Independence to Join EU That is a central condition to take the path toward, Gabriel said
- Armenia and Bulgaria Acknowledge Their Role in Connecting the Gulf Coast to the Europe In this context, the rising interest of Bulgarian businessmen to invest in Armenian was especially prioritized, which was first of all conditioned by the membership of Armenia to the EAEU, the EU-Armenia...
- EU Welcomes German Coalition's ''New Departure for Europe'' Martin Schulz celebrated his party's coalition deal with Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservatives on Wednesday, saying it meant Germany "will return to an active and leading role in the European Union."
- EU Leaders Fail on Migration After the meeting, German Chancellor Angela Merkel told reporters that the bloc had a hard job ahead of it to reform asylum rules by a deadline of June next year.
- Is the Construction of Walls by Turkey Also Beneficial for the EU? It is noteworthy that the idea of building walls by Turkey was not criticized by the EU, which, based on its values, has always been in favor of open borders with neighbors, cross-border cooperation.
- Rome Asks to Stop Sending Immigrants to the City According to polls, about half of Italians do not want immigrants to come to their country.
- A Large Fire on Housing of 1,500 Migrants In Northern France As a result of the fire at least 10 people were injured. The fire tore through closely-packed huts at the Grande-Synthe camp, near the port of Dunkirk.
- Hungarian Parliament to Vote on EU Quota Last month, Hungarians voted to reject EU quotas in a referendum vote, but a low turnout rendered it invalid.
Scripal's Poisoning: A Reason for Tense Relations Between London and Moscow?
Europe's Indifference and Turkey's Interests
Boris Johnson to Support to UK Diplomats Expelled from Russia
Boris Johnson Accused Russia of Secretely Stockpiling the Deadly Nerve Agent
Afrin Urges International Communities to Stop Turkey
Erdogan: Turkey Has Taken Full Control of the Center of Afrin
Sri Lanka Lifted a Nationwide State of Emergency
Bako Sahakyan: The Armenian Community of America and our American Friends are Actively Involved in the Process of the International Recognition of Artsakh
Iran Arrests Ahmadinejad’s Close Ally and Ex-Vice President
Voting for Presidential Election Starts in Russia
Sunday of Advent
Armenians in Olympic Games and Varazdat: Armenian King Who Won a Gold Medal
Merkel and Macron Plan Roadmap on Euro Zone Reform
PACE Eliminates Turkish from the List of Working Languages
NKR Defense Army: During the Past Week Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime About 250 Times
James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma
EU-USA ''Metal War'' Will Cause New Intrigues
70 Racers from Armenia, Georgia and Iran to Take Part in International Car Race in Armenia
Mike Pompeo: the Most Conservative US State Secretary?
RA President Congratulated His Chinese Counterpart
James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma
Why the Figure Skater Evgenia Medvedeva (Babasyan) Did Not Take Her Father's Name?
Armenian President Schools Azeri Diplomat on History at Munich Security Conference
Azerbaijani Blogger: Armenians Did not Destroy Azerbaijani Graves in Karabakh
February 20: the Birth of Artsakh Movement
President Attends Bookinist Bookstore on the Occasion of Book Giving Day
Armenia Negotiates with Four Countries over Creation of Persian Gulf: Black Sea Transit Corridor
Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin
Serzh Sargsyan: Azerbaijan’s Position Regarding the Nagorno Karabakh Issue is a Flagrant Violation of the Helsinki Spirit
Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia: Armenia Plays a Positive Role in Improving Russian-Georgian Relations (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 11.27 km/h