The US Will Be More Interested in Having Success Stories in Our Region: Liana Hovhannisyan (EXCLUSIVE)
"Armedia" IAA presents an interview with an expert of "Insight" Analytical Center for Applied Policy and Research, Liana Hovhannisyan, concerning the new US administration, the changes under Donald Trump and the new priorities of the US foreign policy.
- Donald Trump’s victory in the presidential elections was somehow shocking not only for the US but also for the whole world. What do you think why was this the case?
Such a reaction is conditioned by several factors. I will bring the main ones.
First, Donald Trump, as a politician, as described in the West, is not politically correct. It is no coincidence that the Western media called him “the most unconventional” US president. For example, we know that, as a rule, politicians follow the so-called diplomatic ethics and refrain from expressing an opinion on many issues. In contrast, US President Donald Trump often feels himself free to”call things by their names”.
Second, Donald Trump’s victory broke a number of stereotypes. For example, US presidents, as accepted in the US political experience, are required to have passed a long political career, holding a variety of positions and gradually rising to the level of the president. Another example of this stereotype is the belief that the presidential elections cannot be won by a candidate who has no strong political ties with any of the two main US parties.
Third, Donald Trump has been an unpredictable politician. It should be noted that the newly elected US President came out against the announced principles and the main political directions of the US (a striking example of that was his position towards Russia in the background of anti-Russian sentiments in the West during the recent years, his migration policy, etc.).
Fourth, the Western media was trapped in its own net. Throughout the campaign, the majority of Western experts, journalists almost excluded Trump’s victory and infected society with their mood. But we had the completely opposite picture. The situation was the same in case of Brexit.
- Do you think during the new US president’s tenure we will witness a change in the US foreign policy and the tools being used?
- In order to answer this question one has to remember what were the main theses, Trump used throughout his campaign and continued to adhere to them after winning the election. Among those thesis I will distinguish the main two: the United States will take into account first of all its own interests in its policy and, second, the US will restore its respect among other countries.
From this we can draw the following conclusions:
First, US foreign policy will be based on direct agreements with other countries by the principle “what for what.” If this is projected, for example, on the US-EU relations, the US will put forward to its EU allies a very well-defined precondition: if want the US to ensure your safety, then consider what you are willing to give the United States instead.
Second, the US will continue its policy building not on imitation of values, but on interests. This itself means yielding from the US “soft power” principle often used in the past. In other words, if the US financial resources were directed mainly to the opposition forces in order to solve some problems, the basic agreements will now be reached with the authorities by the same “what for what” principle.
- What does it mean and is it good?
- It is positive in terms that there will be clearly defined rules and obligations. On the other hand, it is negative as the advancement of interests will be at the expense of values. The US has long been a traditional supporter of democratic values (at least on the level of statements). In this case a question arises, whether there will be any country that will be able to replace the United States.
- Against this background, what changes to expect in US policy towards its immediate neighbors, the major powers (Russia, China) and our region.
- As for its immediate neighbors, the US, I think, will continue to collaborate with them, but in this case there will be more clearly established arrangements. Here the United States will push forward its main interests, trying to serve them to the interests of its immediate neighbors as well.
The relations with power centers will be built on the principle of interaction, where one partner does not attempt to cross the red lines set by the other. At the same time, they will try to fight together against the common challenges.
Given that Trump seems to have a greater focus on the US domestic issues, he will weaken US active involvement in other regions. I believe that in case of our region as well he will leave the problems to the main players. At the same time, the US will continue to participate in those formats, involved previously, such as the OSCE Minsk Group format. The US interest to have success stories in the issues where it is directly involved, will increase. This is due to Trump’s desire to raise the US rating.
- Mike Pompeo: the Most Conservative US State Secretary? In this context it is interesting that his most favorite book is Ayn Rand’s novel Atlas Shrugged, which depicts "a dystopian United States in which private businesses suffer under increasingly burdensome...
- NKR President Met With the Representatives of Ramkavar Azatakan Party in Washington The meetings addressed diverse issues related to the Artsakh domestic and foreign policy, the Artsakh-Diaspora cooperation, developing and deepening the USA-Artsakh ties.
- Artsakh President Was Awarded with "Mesrop Mashtots" Order Bako Sahakyan also recognized the important role of the U.S. Armenian organisations in international recognition of Artsakh and making our country recognizable worldwide.
- Washington: Bako Sahakyan Visited the Headquarters of ANCA President Sahakyan highlighted the ANCA's activity in solving various national issues conveying gratitude for constantly keeping the Artsakh-related issues in the spotlight of attention.
- NKR President Bako Sahakyan Made a Speech at the US Congress The President accentuated Washington's considerable contribution in maintaining peace and stability in our region, in peaceful and just solution of the Azerbaijani-Karabakh conflict.
- Putin: Trump Opponents Harm US with 'Invented' Russia Scandal Putin said the US opposition was not treating those who elected Mr. Trump with respect.
- Is Trump’s Replacement Realistic? However, how are the congressmen going to prove that Donald Trump is "incapacitated"?
- Will Putin-Trump Romance End Soon? ...to fully understand the logic of Trump’s policy towards Russia, it is helpful to get acquainted with the logic of deal-making introduced by Trump in his book entitled "The Art of the Deal'.
- Media - a Defender or an Enemy to Democracy? (Trump-Media War) The problem started when many media agencies stopped being the defenders of democracy and turned into a tool for different political forces to struggle against each other. The problem, which by the way,...
- US Vice President May Contribute to Armenian Genocide Recognition by the US I believe a genocide was committed against the Armenian people in the early part of the last century and it should never be forgotten…. The fact that more than 1 million Christians were killed makes...
- Why Is US-Armenia Parliamentary Cooperation Important at This Stage? Such a format of cooperation is itself important as long as it is not limited to only ruling parties, but also creates new opportunities for cooperation among the US main two political parties and RA parliamentary...
- Armenian MPs have Meetings at White House, Congress in Washington D.C. During the meeting the Armenian MPs presented to the White House official several issues concerning regional security, namely they stressed the need for more targeted statements regarding ceasefire violations...
- New Stage in US-Russia "Sanctions War" As long as there is possibility for the indirect impact of this "sanction war" on Armenia, we need to be more active to prevent and minimize the possible challenges we can face.
- US Ambassador: We Have Common Interests In the course of the meeting the members of the Friendship Group also emphasized the stable development of the Armenian-American relations and the deepening of cooperation in many spheres.
- US Congressmen Will Request US Secretary of the Treasury on Stopping Double Taxation with Armenia Bipartisan Letter Requests that Secretary Mnuchin Negotiate Double Tax Treaty with Armenia.
Europe's Indifference and Turkey's Interests
Boris Johnson to Support to UK Diplomats Expelled from Russia
Boris Johnson Accused Russia of Secretely Stockpiling the Deadly Nerve Agent
Afrin Urges International Communities to Stop Turkey
Erdogan: Turkey Has Taken Full Control of the Center of Afrin
Sri Lanka Lifted a Nationwide State of Emergency
Bako Sahakyan: The Armenian Community of America and our American Friends are Actively Involved in the Process of the International Recognition of Artsakh
Iran Arrests Ahmadinejad’s Close Ally and Ex-Vice President
Voting for Presidential Election Starts in Russia
Sunday of Advent
Armenians in Olympic Games and Varazdat: Armenian King Who Won a Gold Medal
Merkel and Macron Plan Roadmap on Euro Zone Reform
PACE Eliminates Turkish from the List of Working Languages
NKR Defense Army: During the Past Week Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime About 250 Times
James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma
EU-USA ''Metal War'' Will Cause New Intrigues
70 Racers from Armenia, Georgia and Iran to Take Part in International Car Race in Armenia
Mike Pompeo: the Most Conservative US State Secretary?
RA President Congratulated His Chinese Counterpart
Two Armenians Killed in Los Angeles Shooting
Why the Figure Skater Evgenia Medvedeva (Babasyan) Did Not Take Her Father's Name?
Armenian President Schools Azeri Diplomat on History at Munich Security Conference
James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma
Azerbaijani Blogger: Armenians Did not Destroy Azerbaijani Graves in Karabakh
February 20: the Birth of Artsakh Movement
President Attends Bookinist Bookstore on the Occasion of Book Giving Day
Armenia Negotiates with Four Countries over Creation of Persian Gulf: Black Sea Transit Corridor
Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin
Serzh Sargsyan: Azerbaijan’s Position Regarding the Nagorno Karabakh Issue is a Flagrant Violation of the Helsinki Spirit
Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia: Armenia Plays a Positive Role in Improving Russian-Georgian Relations (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 11.27 km/h