Will Putin-Trump Romance End Soon?
Recently some changes has has been noted in the US President Donald Trump’s policy towards Russia. If in the past, Donald Trump felt freer to express his support to the Russian Federation (RF) and its President (for example, when Fox News reporter called Vladimir Putin a murderer, Donald Trump responded that the USA also has many murderers, the vivid expression of which was Iraq war), today Trump tries to be more cautious and tougher in his expressions about Russia.
The change of Donald Trump’s policy towards Russia is noted not only in his public statements, but also in the actions of the US new administration. An example of this can be considered the resignation of Trump’s National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, who was an active advocate of warm relations with Russia. Another example is the appointment of Fiona Hill as a White House senior director for Russia and Europe. Fiona Hill is known for her critical statements in address of Vladimir Putin and is a co-author of the book, "Mr. Putin: Operative in the Kremlin", where Putin is presented as KGB officer.
Does such a change in the US administration’s policy towards Russia means that Trump will step back from his attempts to improve relations with Russia and to cooperate with it? Probably no. Instead, such actions of Trump administration towards Russia can be explained by the following:
First, today, Trump’s new administration tries to calm down the intrigues connected with Russia, which are the result of the disseminated news that Russia had its role in the outcome of the US presidential elections. Another reason for that intrigue is the news about the connections of separate high-level US officials with Russia.
Second, to fully understand the logic of Trump’s policy towards Russia, it is helpful to get acquainted with the logic of deal-making introduced by Trump in his book entitled "The Art of the Deal'. Trump correctly notes in his book that to make a successful deal your partner should not understand that you desperately want to have that deal.
Thus, if we try to summarize, we should state that such a change in Trump’s policy towards Russia most likely is temporary and aims at easing the tensions on the topic and strengthening the US positions in bilateral relations with Russia.
- Ksenia Sobchak Announced Her Intention to Participate at Russia's Presidential Elections She portrayed herself as a candidate for those who reject the status quo, a candidate who could give the struggling opposition a voice and challenge the tired, elderly candidates from established parties...
- President Sargsyan Receives RF Minister of Industry and Trade The interlocutors stressed the need for holding such forums on a regular basis, which allow the sides to discuss topical issues, reveal and tap the potential for development of bilateral cooperation.
- Erdogan Says Turkey Will Deploy Troops in Syria's Northern Idlib Region "The de-escalation zone agreement was a promising idea ... under which Russians are maintaining security outside Idlib and Turkey will maintain the security inside Idlib region," Erdoğan said.
- Russia Test-Launches Iskander-M Missile The missile flew the distance of 480 kilometers [some 300 miles] and successfully hit a designated target at the Makat testing range [Kazakstan].
- RA Armed Forces General Staff Participates in CSTO Discussions a working group headed by the head of RA Armed Forces General Staff operative division will participate in the working discussions
- Soros Makes about $18bn for Human Rights The donation makes Soros’s Open Society Foundations the third largest charitable foundation in the world, behind the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation and the Wellcome Trust.
- Israel Also Withdraws from UNESCO In a statement, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hailed the U.S. decision as "brave and moral" and stated that Israel would begin preparations to follow suit.
- US Delegation to Visit Turkey The delegation will be headed by the State Department's Deputy Assistant Secretary for European and Eurasian Affairs Jonathan Cohen, according to sources.
- Trump-Tillerson Disagreements: Do They Have Certain Purpose? However, one cannot also exclude the scenario, that such a public demonstration of disagreement is a diplomatic trick of Trump’s administration to balance the US stance on various foreign policy issues.
- Neither Erdogan, Nor His Cabinet Ministers Haven’t Accepted US Ambassador’s Farewell Visit Bass, who was sworn in as ambassador to Turkey in September 2014, was recently confirmed by the US Senate for his next post as ambassador to Afghanistan.
- Is Trump’s Replacement Realistic? However, how are the congressmen going to prove that Donald Trump is "incapacitated"?
- Media - a Defender or an Enemy to Democracy? (Trump-Media War) The problem started when many media agencies stopped being the defenders of democracy and turned into a tool for different political forces to struggle against each other. The problem, which by the way,...
- US Vice President May Contribute to Armenian Genocide Recognition by the US I believe a genocide was committed against the Armenian people in the early part of the last century and it should never be forgotten…. The fact that more than 1 million Christians were killed makes...
- The US Will Be More Interested in Having Success Stories in Our Region: Liana Hovhannisyan (EXCLUSIVE) At the same time, the US will continue to participate in those formats, which it used to participate previously, such as the Minsk Group format. The US interest to have success stories in the issues where...
- Trump Took US Off Trans-Pacific Partnership Trump called the TPP order a "great thing for the American worker."
Syrian Kurds Don’t Want Independence from Syria
Foreign Minister of the Republic of Artsakh Delivered a Speech in Brussels
Iraqi Forces Fully Took Control of Kirkuk
Premier of Serj Tankian’s Symphony in Armenia (Video)
Spanish Government Plans to Dissolve Catalonia's Parliament
NKR President Met with Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia Aram I
Turkey Sets Up Its First Observation Post in Idlib
Tusk Rules Out Any EU Action Over Catalonia
EU to Reduce Financial Assistance to Turkey
RF Premier Dmitry Medvedev to Arrive in Armenia on Official Visit
NKR Defense Army Serviceman Tigran Khachatryan Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Iraq Warns Foreign Oil Companies Against Contracts With Kurdistan
Artsakh Republic President Visited in Brussels the Office of the European Friends of Armenia Organization
NKR Defense Army Soldier Fatally Wounded
Azerbaijani MFA Considered Including Famous CNN Showman in Its Black List
Turkey Welcomes Cooperation with Iran Against the Iraqi KRG
Nalbandian: Azerbaijan Refuses to Reiterate the Principles of Karabakh Conflict Resolution
425 Babies Were Born in Yerevan from 6 to 12 of October
UN Report: Armenia Has One of the Best Pregnant Care Results
Citywide Clean-Up in Yerevan on October 21
Being Afraid of Armenian Official, Azerbaijani Defense Minister Hides Behind the Flag
Georgians Would Die of Envy: BBC Travel Correspondent Told a Joke about Armenians, Georgians and Azeris
President Presents Geneva Talk’s Outcome at the Meeting with Armenian Community in Switzerland
Luis R. Corteguera: Declaration of Independence by Catalonia Might Move Madrid to Apply Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution (EXCLUSIVE)
Catalan Independence Referendum: Opinions from Catalonia (EXCLUSIVE)
The Armenian Delegation Called on Turkey for a Dialogue on the Issue of the Construction of Reservoirs on Araks: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
Knyaz Hasanov: Iraqi Kurdistan Leadership Should Sit Down for Dialogue with the Iraqi Authorities
Armenian Delegates Talked About Issues of Refugees and Cyber Security at the OSCE PA Meeting: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
On the Occasion of the 26th Anniversary of Armenia’s Independence President Sargsyan Visited the Erablur Pantheon
Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan Discussed Issues Related to the Organization of the Upcoming Meeting of Presidents
Wind: 6.44 km/h