Media - a Defender or an Enemy to Democracy? (Trump-Media War)
Recently, the top subject of the American media has become, as they call "Trump-Media War." The debate over the topic became even active, when the US president Donald Trump openly called some media agencies (New York Times, NBC News, ABC, CBS, CNN) "the enemy of the nation", while the White House banned their participation in the answer-and-questions sessions organized by the spokesperson of the White House.
In the active discussions on the topic, even parallels are made between Trump and the 37th president of the US, Richard Nixon, who was engaged in the Watergate scandal. It is known that the US 37th president, every reading the news in the morning, made notes for his administration, which media agencies he liked, which not. Afterwards, he ordered to act accordingly. As a result of the Watergate scandal, it turned out that Nixon’s administration secretly wiretapped the phone conversations of it opponents, including also those of reporters, and was engaged in a secret investigation against them. As a result of the scandal, Nixon became the first and the only US president, who resigned before his term, and this was considered a media victory.
To be impartial, it should be noted that the administrations of Richard Nixon and Donald Trump were not the only ones that expressed and acted against the media. For example, it was not by chance, that in 2014, 38 media agencies wrote a joint letter to then the US president Barrack Obama complaining that the administration hindered their media activities. While George H. W. Bush, during his presidency, posing against the media, openly stated that media agencies do not represent all the groups of the society, while they represent the interests of different groups, against whom the American society should struggle.
If we return to the "Trump-Media War", then we should state that the policy of Trump against the media, which is based on building barricades and spreading enmity, can hardly be considered a right one. However, it is difficult to say who started this war: Trump or his opponents. In reality the roots of the problem go deeper. The problem started when many media agencies stopped being the defenders of democracy and turned into a tool for different political forces to struggle against each other. The problem, which by the way, is common not only to the US, but to many countries, even the ones, who are considered democratic countries.
- Trump: I'll be Putin's Worst Enemy "Getting along with President Putin, getting along with Russia, is positive, not a negative," the US President Donald Trump said.
- Iran files Suit in International Court against U.S. over Sanctions A State Department official said the application was without merit and the United States would fight it in the court.
- Prime Minister Pashinyan Sends Congratulatory Message on U.S. Independence Day I should note with satisfaction the special role played by the vibrant U.S.-based "Armenian community, which is building bridges of friendship between our countries with its active structures and unconditional...
- The Trump administration reportedly drafted a bill to abandon key World Trade Organization rules Trump has been angling for some time to withdraw the US from the WTO completely, though he would be unable to do so without Congress' approval.
- "US laws are the dumbest in the world". Donald Trump "Republicans want Strong Borders and no Crime. Dems want Open Borders and are weak on Crime!", - said president Trump.
- Putin: Trump Opponents Harm US with 'Invented' Russia Scandal Putin said the US opposition was not treating those who elected Mr. Trump with respect.
- Is Trump’s Replacement Realistic? However, how are the congressmen going to prove that Donald Trump is "incapacitated"?
- Will Putin-Trump Romance End Soon? ...to fully understand the logic of Trump’s policy towards Russia, it is helpful to get acquainted with the logic of deal-making introduced by Trump in his book entitled "The Art of the Deal'.
- US Vice President May Contribute to Armenian Genocide Recognition by the US I believe a genocide was committed against the Armenian people in the early part of the last century and it should never be forgotten…. The fact that more than 1 million Christians were killed makes...
- The US Will Be More Interested in Having Success Stories in Our Region: Liana Hovhannisyan (EXCLUSIVE) At the same time, the US will continue to participate in those formats, which it used to participate previously, such as the Minsk Group format. The US interest to have success stories in the issues where...
US Secretary of State Speaks about Trump's Successes in Talks with Putin
Armenia PM: When Azerbaijan will be Inclined to Compromise, We will Discuss Compromise Limit for us
EU Urged Member States to Prepare for Brexit Negotiations
Trump: I'll be Putin's Worst Enemy
President of Artsakh addresses congratulatory message on foreign ministry’s 25th anniversary
PM Receives Special Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office on Combating Corruption
Israel Has Adopted Divisive Jewish Nation-State Law
Trump Is Looking Forward to a Second Meeting with Putin
Zakharova: Russia Wants to Restore Relations with Georgia
Pashinyan: The Sale of Weapons to Azerbaijan by the Belarusian Authorities Is Unacceptable
Trump Holds Putin Responsible for US Elections Interference
UK Law Enforcers Foil Plans to Kill Theresa May
5 More Countries Join EU Sanctions on Russia
Regime of State of Emergency Lifted in Turkey
Any constructive contact initiated by the parties should serve for settlement of NK conflict, Russia says
UK House of Lords Has Approved Armenia-EU Agreement
New Program for Syrian Armenians to Be Launched by Red Cross
EU Begins Screening Macedonia, Albania for Mid-2019 Accession Talks
US House of Representatives may Consider New Sanctions on Russia
At Least three Dead After Two Planes Crash in Florida
Prince William Got an Armenian Cross as a Gift
A Lebanese Politician of Armenian Ethnic Origins is in the top-5 of the Most Successful Business Women in the Middle East
Nikol Pashinyan: "A Historical Process of Reconciliation Between Law-Enforcement Authorities and Society is Taking Place in Armenia"
Nikol Pashinyan: "Our most important goal is not only to stop the tide of emigration, but to reverse the trend" (PHOTOS)
Feast of Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Erdogan Plans to Involve Ethnic Armenian Economist Daron Acemoglu in the New Cabinet
Comment by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Artsakh on the UN Security Council Resolutions on the Azerbaijan-Karabakh Conflict
Appointment of The Ambassador is Very Important for Armenia-Ukraine Relations: Head of the Armenia-Ukraine Friendship Group
At the Invitation of President Armen Sarkissian President of Italy Sergio Mattarella will Conduct a State Visit to Armenia
Commemoration of the Tabernacle of Old Testament (or the Old Ark) and the Feast of the New Holy Church
Wind: 28.97 km/h