Media - a Defender or an Enemy to Democracy? (Trump-Media War)
Recently, the top subject of the American media has become, as they call "Trump-Media War." The debate over the topic became even active, when the US president Donald Trump openly called some media agencies (New York Times, NBC News, ABC, CBS, CNN) "the enemy of the nation", while the White House banned their participation in the answer-and-questions sessions organized by the spokesperson of the White House.
In the active discussions on the topic, even parallels are made between Trump and the 37th president of the US, Richard Nixon, who was engaged in the Watergate scandal. It is known that the US 37th president, every reading the news in the morning, made notes for his administration, which media agencies he liked, which not. Afterwards, he ordered to act accordingly. As a result of the Watergate scandal, it turned out that Nixon’s administration secretly wiretapped the phone conversations of it opponents, including also those of reporters, and was engaged in a secret investigation against them. As a result of the scandal, Nixon became the first and the only US president, who resigned before his term, and this was considered a media victory.
To be impartial, it should be noted that the administrations of Richard Nixon and Donald Trump were not the only ones that expressed and acted against the media. For example, it was not by chance, that in 2014, 38 media agencies wrote a joint letter to then the US president Barrack Obama complaining that the administration hindered their media activities. While George H. W. Bush, during his presidency, posing against the media, openly stated that media agencies do not represent all the groups of the society, while they represent the interests of different groups, against whom the American society should struggle.
If we return to the "Trump-Media War", then we should state that the policy of Trump against the media, which is based on building barricades and spreading enmity, can hardly be considered a right one. However, it is difficult to say who started this war: Trump or his opponents. In reality the roots of the problem go deeper. The problem started when many media agencies stopped being the defenders of democracy and turned into a tool for different political forces to struggle against each other. The problem, which by the way, is common not only to the US, but to many countries, even the ones, who are considered democratic countries.
- Soros Makes about $18bn for Human Rights The donation makes Soros’s Open Society Foundations the third largest charitable foundation in the world, behind the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation and the Wellcome Trust.
- Israel Also Withdraws from UNESCO In a statement, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hailed the U.S. decision as "brave and moral" and stated that Israel would begin preparations to follow suit.
- US Delegation to Visit Turkey The delegation will be headed by the State Department's Deputy Assistant Secretary for European and Eurasian Affairs Jonathan Cohen, according to sources.
- Trump-Tillerson Disagreements: Do They Have Certain Purpose? However, one cannot also exclude the scenario, that such a public demonstration of disagreement is a diplomatic trick of Trump’s administration to balance the US stance on various foreign policy issues.
- Neither Erdogan, Nor His Cabinet Ministers Haven’t Accepted US Ambassador’s Farewell Visit Bass, who was sworn in as ambassador to Turkey in September 2014, was recently confirmed by the US Senate for his next post as ambassador to Afghanistan.
- Is Trump’s Replacement Realistic? However, how are the congressmen going to prove that Donald Trump is "incapacitated"?
- Will Putin-Trump Romance End Soon? ...to fully understand the logic of Trump’s policy towards Russia, it is helpful to get acquainted with the logic of deal-making introduced by Trump in his book entitled "The Art of the Deal'.
- US Vice President May Contribute to Armenian Genocide Recognition by the US I believe a genocide was committed against the Armenian people in the early part of the last century and it should never be forgotten…. The fact that more than 1 million Christians were killed makes...
- The US Will Be More Interested in Having Success Stories in Our Region: Liana Hovhannisyan (EXCLUSIVE) At the same time, the US will continue to participate in those formats, which it used to participate previously, such as the Minsk Group format. The US interest to have success stories in the issues where...
- Trump Took US Off Trans-Pacific Partnership Trump called the TPP order a "great thing for the American worker."
Syrian Kurds Don’t Want Independence from Syria
Foreign Minister of the Republic of Artsakh Delivered a Speech in Brussels
Iraqi Forces Fully Took Control of Kirkuk
Premier of Serj Tankian’s Symphony in Armenia (Video)
Spanish Government Plans to Dissolve Catalonia's Parliament
NKR President Met with Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia Aram I
Turkey Sets Up Its First Observation Post in Idlib
Tusk Rules Out Any EU Action Over Catalonia
EU to Reduce Financial Assistance to Turkey
RF Premier Dmitry Medvedev to Arrive in Armenia on Official Visit
NKR Defense Army Serviceman Tigran Khachatryan Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Iraq Warns Foreign Oil Companies Against Contracts With Kurdistan
Artsakh Republic President Visited in Brussels the Office of the European Friends of Armenia Organization
NKR Defense Army Soldier Fatally Wounded
Azerbaijani MFA Considered Including Famous CNN Showman in Its Black List
Turkey Welcomes Cooperation with Iran Against the Iraqi KRG
Nalbandian: Azerbaijan Refuses to Reiterate the Principles of Karabakh Conflict Resolution
425 Babies Were Born in Yerevan from 6 to 12 of October
UN Report: Armenia Has One of the Best Pregnant Care Results
Citywide Clean-Up in Yerevan on October 21
Being Afraid of Armenian Official, Azerbaijani Defense Minister Hides Behind the Flag
Georgians Would Die of Envy: BBC Travel Correspondent Told a Joke about Armenians, Georgians and Azeris
President Presents Geneva Talk’s Outcome at the Meeting with Armenian Community in Switzerland
Luis R. Corteguera: Declaration of Independence by Catalonia Might Move Madrid to Apply Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution (EXCLUSIVE)
Catalan Independence Referendum: Opinions from Catalonia (EXCLUSIVE)
The Armenian Delegation Called on Turkey for a Dialogue on the Issue of the Construction of Reservoirs on Araks: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
Knyaz Hasanov: Iraqi Kurdistan Leadership Should Sit Down for Dialogue with the Iraqi Authorities
Armenian Delegates Talked About Issues of Refugees and Cyber Security at the OSCE PA Meeting: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
On the Occasion of the 26th Anniversary of Armenia’s Independence President Sargsyan Visited the Erablur Pantheon
Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan Discussed Issues Related to the Organization of the Upcoming Meeting of Presidents
Wind: 6.44 km/h