What Is Trump Looking For in Eastern Europe?
In the context of the recent activity in the US foreign policy, when the attention of the media was mainly on the developments in the US-Russia relations, the visit of the US president Donald Trump to Poland took place. There Donald Trump participated in the meeting of the so-called “Three Seas Initiative” leaders (Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria). The meeting by such a format was new for the US president and is quite interesting, if viewed from several aspects.
It should be moted that the so-called “Three Seas Initiative” is a joint Polish-Croatian initiative, which was launched in 2016 and aims at the development of the trade among the Adriatic, Baltic and Black Sea countries as well as at their cooperation in energy, infrastructure and political spheres. To kick off the initiative, a two-day regional forum took place in 2016, in which also the delegates from Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Turkey, as well as representatives from the United States and China participated. The fact, that no delegate was present from Russia in the meeting, made experts state that the imitative is anti-Russian.
It is interesting to note that according to some experts the initiative is also aimed at counter-balancing the influence of Germany and the official Brussels on the Eastern and Central European countries. It was not accidental, that for example, Jaroslaw Kaczynski of Poland's ruling Law and Justice Party in an interview with a Hungarian media agency noted that it would prevent Brussels’ attempts “to reach a complete hegemony in Europe”
The argument of counter-balancing Brussels becomes more grounded, when we refer, for example, to the recent disagreements between Poland and the official Brussels.
The recent example of that disagreement was connected with the legislative amendments in Poland, according to which the parliament will be given more powers to appoint judges. This planned change has become a cause for protests in Poland and was criticized by Brussels, in answer to which Polish officials noted that Brussels had no right to interfere in internal affairs of the member states.
The negative atmosphere in the relations of Brussels and Poland is also noted in the issue of accepting migrants from the Middle East and Africa. Poland refuses to accept migrants conditioning its decision with security and economic problems in the country.
The reason for disagreements between Warsaw-Brussels became the law on the media adopted last year in Poland, which gives a right to the authorities to directly appoint the heads of the state media agencies.
Thus, in the context of such developments, how can one explain the interest of the US new administration in cooperating with the European countries in this format? By the cooperation in the format, Trump in essence tries to fulfill at least two goals simultaneously.
First, by this Trump delivers a message to the official Brussels that they will not limit themselves by the cooperation with the official Brussels and will cooperate with the European countries in other formats irrespective of the existing disagreements with the official Brussels (in the context the existing disagreements within the EU are good preconditions of the US). In essence this was an addressed call to Brussels, that it will be the one to suffer most from the US-EU disagreement.
The US wish to find new allies in the EU can also be explained by Brexit. After losing its loyal ally in the EU, the US administration aims at making new strong partnerships in the Union not to weaken its leverages of influence there.
Second, it was not a usual thing, that Trump’s visit to Poland and the meeting in that format preceded his meeting with Russian president Vladimir Putin. It was not occasional either that in the format of “Three Seas Initiatives” the main topic of discussion was the cooperation in the energetic sphere, particularly the export of the US LNG to Europe. Thus the visit of Trump to Poland and his participation in “Three Seas Initiative” aimed at strengthening the US positions in the negotiations with RF to show the latter that the US is going to preserve and strengthen its presence in the Eastern Europe.
Thus, to conclude, we should state that Trump’s activity in this format aims at ʺkilling two birds with one stone” strengthening the US positions in the negotiations with the EU and Russia.
- Iran files Suit in International Court against U.S. over Sanctions A State Department official said the application was without merit and the United States would fight it in the court.
- Prime Minister Pashinyan Sends Congratulatory Message on U.S. Independence Day I should note with satisfaction the special role played by the vibrant U.S.-based "Armenian community, which is building bridges of friendship between our countries with its active structures and unconditional...
- The Trump administration reportedly drafted a bill to abandon key World Trade Organization rules Trump has been angling for some time to withdraw the US from the WTO completely, though he would be unable to do so without Congress' approval.
- "US laws are the dumbest in the world". Donald Trump "Republicans want Strong Borders and no Crime. Dems want Open Borders and are weak on Crime!", - said president Trump.
- Bill Shine, Former Fox News Co-President, to Take on Senior Communications Role at White House Sources tell Fox News that Shine has discussed a White House position with Trump on two other occasions, but both times the potential appointment fell through.
- NATO, EU Leaders to Sign Declaration on Enhanced Cooperation: Stoltenberg “NATO and EU leaders plan to sign a new joint declaration in July to further enhance their level of cooperation,” Jens Stoltenberg said at NATO Defense Ministers meeting on Friday.
- "Party for Macron": What Do French People Complain of? In their turn, the students, who joined the protestors, were concerned by Macron’s plan to reform the higher education system to increase competitiveness, arguing that in that case the universal right...
- Air France Offers Flights with Alcohol and Digital Entertainment The price of the ticket to European destinations departing from Paris starts at €49 (£43) each way, while long haul flights start from €149 each way, excluding checked baggage.
- New Coin Picturing Prince Harry and Meghan Markle The coin, approved by the couple themselves, shows Markle clutching her fiance's arm in a pose they first struck during their official engagement photocall.
- Mogherini: the EU to Provide Additional € 3 Billion to Turkey This was stated by the head of European diplomacy Federica Mogherini, novinite.com reports.
PM Receives Special Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office on Combating Corruption
Israel Has Adopted Divisive Jewish Nation-State Law
Trump Is Looking Forward to a Second Meeting with Putin
Zakharova: Russia Wants to Restore Relations with Georgia
Pashinyan: The Sale of Weapons to Azerbaijan by the Belarusian Authorities Is Unacceptable
Trump Holds Putin Responsible for US Elections Interference
UK Law Enforcers Foil Plans to Kill Theresa May
5 More Countries Join EU Sanctions on Russia
Regime of State of Emergency Lifted in Turkey
Any constructive contact initiated by the parties should serve for settlement of NK conflict, Russia says
UK House of Lords Has Approved Armenia-EU Agreement
New Program for Syrian Armenians to Be Launched by Red Cross
EU Begins Screening Macedonia, Albania for Mid-2019 Accession Talks
US House of Representatives may Consider New Sanctions on Russia
At Least three Dead After Two Planes Crash in Florida
Iran files Suit in International Court against U.S. over Sanctions
Prime Minister Suggests Reconsidering Rental Contracts for Facilities Near Lake Sevan and Bring Them to a Proper Level
Trump: Iran deal is good for Russia, but it wasn't good for US
EU Signs Free-trade Agreement with Japan
Putin: Russia Has No “Compromising Material” on Trump
Prince William Got an Armenian Cross as a Gift
A Lebanese Politician of Armenian Ethnic Origins is in the top-5 of the Most Successful Business Women in the Middle East
Nikol Pashinyan: "A Historical Process of Reconciliation Between Law-Enforcement Authorities and Society is Taking Place in Armenia"
Nikol Pashinyan: "Our most important goal is not only to stop the tide of emigration, but to reverse the trend" (PHOTOS)
Feast of Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Israel Defense Minister Cancels Azerbaijan Visit
Erdogan Plans to Involve Ethnic Armenian Economist Daron Acemoglu in the New Cabinet
Artsrun Hovhannisyan: The Activity of Azerbaijani Farmers and Shepherds is From Now on Threatened Due to "Liberator" Hasanov
Comment by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Artsakh on the UN Security Council Resolutions on the Azerbaijan-Karabakh Conflict
Appointment of The Ambassador is Very Important for Armenia-Ukraine Relations: Head of the Armenia-Ukraine Friendship Group
Wind: 11.27 km/h