What Is Trump Looking For in Eastern Europe?
In the context of the recent activity in the US foreign policy, when the attention of the media was mainly on the developments in the US-Russia relations, the visit of the US president Donald Trump to Poland took place. There Donald Trump participated in the meeting of the so-called “Three Seas Initiative” leaders (Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria). The meeting by such a format was new for the US president and is quite interesting, if viewed from several aspects.
It should be moted that the so-called “Three Seas Initiative” is a joint Polish-Croatian initiative, which was launched in 2016 and aims at the development of the trade among the Adriatic, Baltic and Black Sea countries as well as at their cooperation in energy, infrastructure and political spheres. To kick off the initiative, a two-day regional forum took place in 2016, in which also the delegates from Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Turkey, as well as representatives from the United States and China participated. The fact, that no delegate was present from Russia in the meeting, made experts state that the imitative is anti-Russian.
It is interesting to note that according to some experts the initiative is also aimed at counter-balancing the influence of Germany and the official Brussels on the Eastern and Central European countries. It was not accidental, that for example, Jaroslaw Kaczynski of Poland's ruling Law and Justice Party in an interview with a Hungarian media agency noted that it would prevent Brussels’ attempts “to reach a complete hegemony in Europe”
The argument of counter-balancing Brussels becomes more grounded, when we refer, for example, to the recent disagreements between Poland and the official Brussels.
The recent example of that disagreement was connected with the legislative amendments in Poland, according to which the parliament will be given more powers to appoint judges. This planned change has become a cause for protests in Poland and was criticized by Brussels, in answer to which Polish officials noted that Brussels had no right to interfere in internal affairs of the member states.
The negative atmosphere in the relations of Brussels and Poland is also noted in the issue of accepting migrants from the Middle East and Africa. Poland refuses to accept migrants conditioning its decision with security and economic problems in the country.
The reason for disagreements between Warsaw-Brussels became the law on the media adopted last year in Poland, which gives a right to the authorities to directly appoint the heads of the state media agencies.
Thus, in the context of such developments, how can one explain the interest of the US new administration in cooperating with the European countries in this format? By the cooperation in the format, Trump in essence tries to fulfill at least two goals simultaneously.
First, by this Trump delivers a message to the official Brussels that they will not limit themselves by the cooperation with the official Brussels and will cooperate with the European countries in other formats irrespective of the existing disagreements with the official Brussels (in the context the existing disagreements within the EU are good preconditions of the US). In essence this was an addressed call to Brussels, that it will be the one to suffer most from the US-EU disagreement.
The US wish to find new allies in the EU can also be explained by Brexit. After losing its loyal ally in the EU, the US administration aims at making new strong partnerships in the Union not to weaken its leverages of influence there.
Second, it was not a usual thing, that Trump’s visit to Poland and the meeting in that format preceded his meeting with Russian president Vladimir Putin. It was not occasional either that in the format of “Three Seas Initiatives” the main topic of discussion was the cooperation in the energetic sphere, particularly the export of the US LNG to Europe. Thus the visit of Trump to Poland and his participation in “Three Seas Initiative” aimed at strengthening the US positions in the negotiations with RF to show the latter that the US is going to preserve and strengthen its presence in the Eastern Europe.
Thus, to conclude, we should state that Trump’s activity in this format aims at ʺkilling two birds with one stone” strengthening the US positions in the negotiations with the EU and Russia.
- Rex Tillerson: North Korea Must Earn Right to Talks Mr Tillerson said Pyongyang had to carry out a "sustained cessation" of weapons testing before any talks.
- Putin: Trump Opponents Harm US with 'Invented' Russia Scandal Putin said the US opposition was not treating those who elected Mr. Trump with respect.
- Foreign Minister of Artsakh Met With Members of the Armenian Assembly of America’s Delegation During the meeting, the sides discussed a range of issues related to the prospects of expanding the frameworks of the cooperation between Artsakh and the AAA.
- Erdogan Urged Muslim Leaders to Recognize Jerusalem as a Capital of the Palestinian State Erdogan went on to accuse Israel of being a "state of terror".
- What Is the Word of 2017? The word was a top lookup throughout the year, with several spikes that corresponded to various news reports and events.
- EU Leaders Fail on Migration After the meeting, German Chancellor Angela Merkel told reporters that the bloc had a hard job ahead of it to reform asylum rules by a deadline of June next year.
- EU Leaders' Summit: What's on the Agenda? Three major items dominate the agenda: Brexit, defense and migration.
- Martin Schulz Is For a Creation of a "United States of Europe" "The question isn’t grand coalition or no grand coalition," he said, "Nor minority government or fresh elections. No — it’s about how we exercise our responsibility, including to the next generation."
- "Armenian Day" in the Historic Polish Castle A number of those in attendance delivered remarks and offered presentations on various subjects concerning Armenia, Poland, and the centuries-old ties between the two nations.
- Germany Offers to Pay Migrants to Go Home The program is called "Your country. Your future. Now!"
Egypt Opens Gaza Border for Four Days
MFA Of Armenia: Ankara Is Not Ready To Normalize The Armenian-Turkish Relations
Rex Tillerson: North Korea Must Earn Right to Talks
China and UK to Strengthen Economic and Financial Cooperation
Weather Forecast in Armenia : Precipitation is Predicted
Trump Said The Worst People Come To U.S. By Visa Lottery
Trump Says He Would like to Have Russia’s Help with North Korea
Former Policeman Arrested within Case of Russian Ambassador’s Assassination in Turkey
Manchester United is Planning to Sell Mkhitaryan to make space for Mesut Ozil
Syria Accuses Saudi Arabia and the UN for the Failure of Negotiations
EU Leaders Fail on Migration
Donald Trump Thanks Vladimir Putin after his Press-Conference
French School Bus Cut in Two in Rail Crash
Serzh Sargsyan on Karabakh Conflict: It Is Not Possible to Negotiate with One Hand and to Fire with Another
The Next Phase of Brexit Negotiations to Start Soon
UN Warns against 'Sleepwalking' into War over North Korea
Turkey to Open Embassy in East Jerusalem
Turkey’s 37th: How Erdogan Started ''Cleansing'' of His Own Party
Armenian Government Allocated 31.9 Million Drams for Establishing Scientific Research Institute of Chess
Walt Disney Buys Murdoch's Fox for $52.4bn
Armenian Patriarch and 12 other Heads of Churches in Jerusalem Wrote a Letter to President Trump
Russians Should Be Driven out Like Dogs, Armenians Must Be Massacred: Azerbaijani "Scientist''
Tigran Mansurian’s "Requiem" Nominated for Grammy Award
Putin Pushed Erdogan’s Chair to the Ground (VIDEO)
It Is Natural to Be in Artsakh and Struggle along with the People of Artsakh: Today Hero Monte Melkonyan Turns 60
Armenia Pays Tribute to the Memory of the Victims of 1988 Spitak Earthquake
TV Channel Discovery Has Shot 6 Videos about Armenia
Statement by the "European Integration" NGO on Signing the Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement with the EU
NKR Defense Army Servicemen Gegham Zaqaryan, Sargis Abrahamyan, Sargis Meliqyan, Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Lebanese-Armenian Independent Researcher: The Crisis in Lebanon Is Not Over (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 6.44 km/h