What Is Trump Looking For in Eastern Europe?
In the context of the recent activity in the US foreign policy, when the attention of the media was mainly on the developments in the US-Russia relations, the visit of the US president Donald Trump to Poland took place. There Donald Trump participated in the meeting of the so-called “Three Seas Initiative” leaders (Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria). The meeting by such a format was new for the US president and is quite interesting, if viewed from several aspects.
It should be moted that the so-called “Three Seas Initiative” is a joint Polish-Croatian initiative, which was launched in 2016 and aims at the development of the trade among the Adriatic, Baltic and Black Sea countries as well as at their cooperation in energy, infrastructure and political spheres. To kick off the initiative, a two-day regional forum took place in 2016, in which also the delegates from Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Turkey, as well as representatives from the United States and China participated. The fact, that no delegate was present from Russia in the meeting, made experts state that the imitative is anti-Russian.
It is interesting to note that according to some experts the initiative is also aimed at counter-balancing the influence of Germany and the official Brussels on the Eastern and Central European countries. It was not accidental, that for example, Jaroslaw Kaczynski of Poland's ruling Law and Justice Party in an interview with a Hungarian media agency noted that it would prevent Brussels’ attempts “to reach a complete hegemony in Europe”
The argument of counter-balancing Brussels becomes more grounded, when we refer, for example, to the recent disagreements between Poland and the official Brussels.
The recent example of that disagreement was connected with the legislative amendments in Poland, according to which the parliament will be given more powers to appoint judges. This planned change has become a cause for protests in Poland and was criticized by Brussels, in answer to which Polish officials noted that Brussels had no right to interfere in internal affairs of the member states.
The negative atmosphere in the relations of Brussels and Poland is also noted in the issue of accepting migrants from the Middle East and Africa. Poland refuses to accept migrants conditioning its decision with security and economic problems in the country.
The reason for disagreements between Warsaw-Brussels became the law on the media adopted last year in Poland, which gives a right to the authorities to directly appoint the heads of the state media agencies.
Thus, in the context of such developments, how can one explain the interest of the US new administration in cooperating with the European countries in this format? By the cooperation in the format, Trump in essence tries to fulfill at least two goals simultaneously.
First, by this Trump delivers a message to the official Brussels that they will not limit themselves by the cooperation with the official Brussels and will cooperate with the European countries in other formats irrespective of the existing disagreements with the official Brussels (in the context the existing disagreements within the EU are good preconditions of the US). In essence this was an addressed call to Brussels, that it will be the one to suffer most from the US-EU disagreement.
The US wish to find new allies in the EU can also be explained by Brexit. After losing its loyal ally in the EU, the US administration aims at making new strong partnerships in the Union not to weaken its leverages of influence there.
Second, it was not a usual thing, that Trump’s visit to Poland and the meeting in that format preceded his meeting with Russian president Vladimir Putin. It was not occasional either that in the format of “Three Seas Initiatives” the main topic of discussion was the cooperation in the energetic sphere, particularly the export of the US LNG to Europe. Thus the visit of Trump to Poland and his participation in “Three Seas Initiative” aimed at strengthening the US positions in the negotiations with RF to show the latter that the US is going to preserve and strengthen its presence in the Eastern Europe.
Thus, to conclude, we should state that Trump’s activity in this format aims at ʺkilling two birds with one stone” strengthening the US positions in the negotiations with the EU and Russia.
- Soros Makes about $18bn for Human Rights The donation makes Soros’s Open Society Foundations the third largest charitable foundation in the world, behind the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation and the Wellcome Trust.
- Israel Also Withdraws from UNESCO In a statement, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hailed the U.S. decision as "brave and moral" and stated that Israel would begin preparations to follow suit.
- US Delegation to Visit Turkey The delegation will be headed by the State Department's Deputy Assistant Secretary for European and Eurasian Affairs Jonathan Cohen, according to sources.
- Trump-Tillerson Disagreements: Do They Have Certain Purpose? However, one cannot also exclude the scenario, that such a public demonstration of disagreement is a diplomatic trick of Trump’s administration to balance the US stance on various foreign policy issues.
- Neither Erdogan, Nor His Cabinet Ministers Haven’t Accepted US Ambassador’s Farewell Visit Bass, who was sworn in as ambassador to Turkey in September 2014, was recently confirmed by the US Senate for his next post as ambassador to Afghanistan.
- EU Defends Iran Deal After a closed-door meeting chaired by EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini on how best to proceed on the Iran issue, the ministers issued a joint statement saying the 2015 deal was key to preventing...
- Luis R. Corteguera: Declaration of Independence by Catalonia Might Move Madrid to Apply Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution (EXCLUSIVE) Efforts to stop the vote by relying on the courts to declare the referendum illegal, by taking control of Catalan finances to prevent expenditures on the referendum, and finally, by deploying thousands...
- Freedom of Speech Cannot Justify Hate Speech: Germany Fights Hate Speech Moreover, the scope of the problem should be extended to the punishment and fines for various officials, who spread hate speech on the highest level against the nations they consider their enemies.
- Catalan Independence Referendum: Opinions from Catalonia (EXCLUSIVE) "Spain's government is threatening people with thousands of policemen bullying citizens and forbidding universal rights such as freedom of expression. But we are not afraid anymore, and we are determined...
- EU Extended Sanctions on Russia by Six Months Despite the fact that several EU members have repeatedly voiced disapproval of anti-Russian sanctions policy and called for lifting them, which harm their states' trade with Russia, Brussels continues...
Erdogan: US, EU Don't Help Turkey in Terror Fight
Premiere of Dadivank Documentary Film in Artsakh
Hamshen Armenian Intellectual's Wife Detained in Turkey
Syrian Kurds Don’t Want Independence from Syria
Foreign Minister of the Republic of Artsakh Delivered a Speech in Brussels
Iraqi Forces Fully Took Control of Kirkuk
Premier of Serj Tankian’s Symphony in Armenia (Video)
Spanish Government Plans to Dissolve Catalonia's Parliament
NKR President Met with Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia Aram I
Turkey Sets Up Its First Observation Post in Idlib
Tusk Rules Out Any EU Action Over Catalonia
EU to Reduce Financial Assistance to Turkey
RF Premier Dmitry Medvedev to Arrive in Armenia on Official Visit
NKR Defense Army Serviceman Tigran Khachatryan Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Iraq Warns Foreign Oil Companies Against Contracts With Kurdistan
Artsakh Republic President Visited in Brussels the Office of the European Friends of Armenia Organization
NKR Defense Army Soldier Fatally Wounded
Azerbaijani MFA Considered Including Famous CNN Showman in Its Black List
Turkey Welcomes Cooperation with Iran Against the Iraqi KRG
Nalbandian: Azerbaijan Refuses to Reiterate the Principles of Karabakh Conflict Resolution
Being Afraid of Armenian Official, Azerbaijani Defense Minister Hides Behind the Flag
Georgians Would Die of Envy: BBC Travel Correspondent Told a Joke about Armenians, Georgians and Azeris
President Presents Geneva Talk’s Outcome at the Meeting with Armenian Community in Switzerland
Luis R. Corteguera: Declaration of Independence by Catalonia Might Move Madrid to Apply Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution (EXCLUSIVE)
Catalan Independence Referendum: Opinions from Catalonia (EXCLUSIVE)
The Armenian Delegation Called on Turkey for a Dialogue on the Issue of the Construction of Reservoirs on Araks: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
Knyaz Hasanov: Iraqi Kurdistan Leadership Should Sit Down for Dialogue with the Iraqi Authorities
Armenian Delegates Talked About Issues of Refugees and Cyber Security at the OSCE PA Meeting: Hermine Naghdalyan (EXCLUSIVE)
On the Occasion of the 26th Anniversary of Armenia’s Independence President Sargsyan Visited the Erablur Pantheon
Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan Discussed Issues Related to the Organization of the Upcoming Meeting of Presidents
Wind: 11.27 km/h