Why Did Aliyev Decide to Hold Snap Elections in Azerbaijan?! An Exclusive Interview with an Expert
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev has issued a decree to hold snap presidential elections in Azerbaijan, not waiting for October. "Armedia" IAA talked to an expert on Azerbaijan Tatev Hayrapetyan about the main approaches on the decision on snap elections and its motives.
-Why did Azerbaijan declare snap elections?
- On February 5, it became known about the decision to hold snap elections in Azerbaijan, which had not any official explanation though. Nevertheless, Aydin Mirzazade, a member of the ruling ''New Azerbaijan'' Party, commented that 2018 is the 100th anniversary of the proclamation of the Democratic Republic of Azerbaijan, for which Azerbaijan must prepare properly. Such an interpretation suggests that Aliyev, roughly speaking, decided to quickly organize his fourth election.
- And what do the opposition forces think?
- Let me mention that Isa Gambar from the ''Musavat'' party and Mirmahmud Miralioglu, leader of the ''Classic Popular Front Party'', were the first ones to be nominated from the opposition. Nevertheless, given that all the influential opposition figures in Azerbaijan are either in prison or outside the country, they can hardly mobilize the opposition around them and create a serious problem for Aliev's re-election. Therefore, I do not consider realistic that Aliyev fears the possible confrontation with the opposition considering the current Azerbaijani reality. Azerbaijani well-known journalist Khadija Ismaylova notes that Aliyev shows with this step that he does not take into account anyone in the country and will do only as he wants. "Such a decision is usually made in case of war, natural disaster or other emergency situation. And they made such a decision without any explanation. "
- According to you, which are the main motives of such a step for Aliev?
- In my opinion, there may be internal and some external causes. First of all, the deepening of economic problems in Azerbaijan. It's no secret that there are serious problems in the banking system. Recently, it became known that the shares of the World Bank in Azerbaijan are being sold. Some large banks have been closed, so maybe Aliyev is afraid of further deterioration of the situation and deepening of social discontent. Perhaps, Aliyev has also become aware that some "dissatisfied" people form an inner opposition due to recent clan reshuffles, so he wants to speed up the elections to further strengthen his position.
From the point of view of external factors, it may be that snap elections were announced due to the case of the RaAL movement's leader, Ilham Mamedov. The West continues to criticize the Azerbaijani authorities, and in order not to attract the attention of Western structures in October of this year, Aliyev decided to organize the elections in parallel with Russia as a result of which Azerbaijan can avoid "special" attention and western pressures.
Finally, I consider possible developments related to the Karabakh issue. Maybe, Aliyev is preparing another provocative action, so he wants to be quickly re-elected in order to organize it. Nevertheless, I think that the Armenian side should be vigilant to prevent possible adventurism of Azerbaijan.
- During the Elections, the Azerbaijani Authorities Set Three Main Goals for Themselves: Narek Minasyan The second problem, according to the expert, was to ensure high participation of citizens in the elections. Taking into account the fact that a number of opposition forces boycotted the elections in general,...
- In Order to Maintain His Power Aliyev Changes The ''Game Terms'' In the current situation a question arises, which made Aliyev to go for snap elections, changing the terms of the game. If we try to clarify the main motives for appointing snap presidential elections...
- Aliyev Will Try to Pursue More Balanced Internal Politics in 2018 Among the steps to strengthen their power, we should also consider the emergence of a new "black list" which includes those who "dare" to criticize the situation in human rights and freedoms in Azerbaijan.
- In 2016 Aliyev Strengthened Its Clan's Position and Weakened the Country's Socio-Economic Situation By resorting to aggression against NKR and creating an imitation of a strong country, Aliyev not only erased the offshore scandal from the memory of its society, but also created a ground for Constitutional...
- Council of Europe against Azerbaijan Not to sound too optimistic we can at least hope that the Azerbaijan petrodollars have lost their effectiveness and nowadays it becomes harder for Azerbaijan to close the eyes of the international community.
- Azerbaijan's Double Game in the Context of Turkish-Israeli Tension Another aggravation in Turkish-Israeli relations occurred after US President Donald Trump decided to move his country's embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, which aroused discontent among Palestinians who...
- Iran and Azerbaijan Plan to Form Joint Oil Company According to the Iranian official, the company will be formed within the framework of a deal recently signed between the two parties.
- Investigation Group Confirmed Systemic Corruption in PACE by Azerbaijan In a 219-page report published on Sunday night, a panel of three judges concluded that "a number of former Pace MPs ... had acted contrary to the Pace code of conduct".
- OSCE: Restriction of Rights Observed in Presidential Elections in Azerbaijan "Presidential elections in the Republic of Azerbaijan were held in conditions of restriction of rights and freedoms with insufficient competition," she said.
- Aliyev Became the President of Azerbaijan for the 4th Time, Receiving 86% of Votes CEC chairman Mazahir Panahov said the commission received protocols from 5201 polling stations.
Trump’s Approval Rating Hits Highest Point in Presidency
Kim Jong-un Visits China After Trump Summit
PM receives European Parliament Delegation
Events Within the Frameworks of the “Days of Artsakh in France” Started in Martigues
NKR President Sent a Thank-You Letter to Armenian PM Nikol Pashinyan
Iran Will Increase Gas Export to Armenia This Year
Prime Minister Receives OSCE Countries’ Representatives
President Armen Sarkissian Will Travel Abroad
Bulgaria Ratified Armenia-EU Agreement
Ara Babloyan Addresses RA NA Factions with Proposal of Beginning Debates on the Electoral Code
Erdogan Wanted a Base in the Antarctic
Japan Earthquake: Three Dead and Hundreds Injured
A Woman Can Become The President Of Georgia
Pashinyan and Sahakyan Discussed a Wide Range of Issues on Army Building
Igor Muradyan Died
Three Tasks of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs Visit to Armenia
Private Plane Crashes in Russia
Jailed Brazil Ex-President to Comment on the World Cup from Prison
Armenia PM Heading to Karabakh
Azerbaijan Fires More Than 2500 Rounds at Artsakh Outposts in One Week
Nikol Pashinyan to Resign During a Year
MFA: Armenia Has Initiated Moves to Strengthen Cooperation with Israel
It’s Already Two Months Azerbaijan Has Accumulated Troops in Different Parts of the Contact Line, Davit Babayan
Prime Minister Pashinyan Attends Gala Concert Dedicated to World Foot Championship in Red Square (PHOTOS)
Alexander Lapshin Claims Azerbaijan Might Be Behind the Death of Anthony Bourdain for Artsakh Episode
Foreign Minister of Armenia Received the Delegation of the Secretariat of International Organization of La Francophonie
Armenians Worldwide Are Invited to Participate in ''Come and Dance the Armenian Kochari'' Pan-Armenian Flashmob
Nikol Pashinyan Attends in Tbilisi the Reception Dedicated to 100th Anniversary of First Armenian Republic
U.S. Secretary of State Shares Enthusiasm about Armenia's Peaceful, Constitutional Political Transition
I am Confident that Armenia and Georgia Have Common Long-Term and Short-Term interests, Nikol Pashinyan
Wind: 11.27 km/h